Help with my home network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rebecca, Apr 7, 2007.

  1. Rebecca

    Rebecca Guest

    Hi.....help!

    I have home network with 3 PC's 2 running winXp 1 runing Win2k.
    Everything was fine initially with all pc's seeing each other but had
    trouble accessing one as it asks for username password and i dont know what
    they are.....anyway...

    I changed out the machine with win2k to a machine with winXp and when
    setting it up i guess i config'd a network place called mshome...now i have
    2 network places....
    2 machines are on the initial network place called "workgroup" and the new
    machine is on network place called "mshome".

    my dilemna is that "network" intermittently "sees" mshome and vice versa but
    from day to day I may or may not seem to connect. One of the PC's asks for
    username/PW and the other doesn't and I dont have a clue as to what the
    username/PW's are....!
    As you can see I am all confused and so network savvy and i hope someone can
    patiently help me figure this out!

    The "mshome" pc has a printer that the other 2 pc's (intermittently) can
    print to and we occasionally share/transfer files etc.....basically
    print/file sharing but like i said something is al messed up!

    Any would be very appreciated. thanks!
    rm...

    Rebecca, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Rebecca

    XP Novice Guest

    Right click My Computer | Properties | and change the name on all 3 PC's to
    Becky and restart all 3. Now they see each other.

    XP Novice, Apr 7, 2007

  3. If I am understanding your problem correctly you are showing up with 2
    different workgroups. The workgroup on the network should be exactly the
    same.

    Recommend you access SYSTEM PROPRTIES
    - On XP machines right mouse click "my computer" then select "properties".
    Can also get there from the control panel", then select "system".
    - Select the "computer name" tab and check what the workgroup name is on
    all machines (again they should all be identical). NOTE: while the workgroup
    must be identical, the computer names must be different.
    - If you need to change the workgroup name on a machine select "change" on
    the "computer name" tab, change the name to match other machines and restart
    the computer. After that barring any other problems you should be working.

    Good luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?c3QwY2sxbmc=?=, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Rebecca

    Frankster Guest

    That won't make any difference.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Rebecca

    Frankster Guest

    The following two things should fix your problem. They are both not always
    necessary, depending on versions of XP (Home/Pro, etc) and how you currently
    have it set up. But.. if you do both of these things it should work.

    1) Change the workgroup name to be the same (i.e. WORKGROUP). Go into
    computer properties and select the computer name tab. Click on Change and
    change the MSHOME to WORKGROUP, reboot.

    2) Establish each and every userID/Password combination on each and every
    computer. Make sure they all match exactly!

    That should do it.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Apr 8, 2007