    internet but can't seem to get a straight understanding solution.
    Hope you can help?
    David

    david Mapleston, Feb 8, 2005

  2. david Mapleston

    Jerry G. Guest

    This because there are many security issues with MSN, and other conferencing
    utilities. The link below shows the ports used by MSN. You will have to be
    knowledgeable about the set-up of the port configuration in your router in
    order to open the proper ports, and still have some degree of safety. By
    default, the router is set up to fully protect your system.

    As an experiment, you can turn off the NAT feature in your router, just to
    see if this is where the port configuration is needed. Your modem may also
    have some firewall set-ups as well. If it works, I would suggest to set it
    up properly, rather than not have a firewall that is active.

    If your modem has a firewall, and your router also has one, I would turn off
    one of them. I prefer to use the one in the router, rather than the one in
    the modem. If you are able to set them both up properly, it is possible to
    have both active. But, there may be conflicts under some conditions.

    If you call the router support people for the router that you purchased, I
    am sure that over the phone, they can walk you through the configuration to
    do what you want. I am very sure that others have had the same issue with
    their router.

    If you are using XP-SP2, there may be some firewall issues as well.

    Port Info:
    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html

    SBS Services Ports:
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Files/40832/Table_01.html

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "david Mapleston" <> wrote in message
    Just purchased a Netgear WRG614 V3 Wireless router for my computer so we can
    share 2 computers with broadband.
    My computer is linked up with router via cable.My
    main problem is accessing msn video conferencing which does not work.It did
    before I used router.I understand that it has Upnp which should open ports
    when needed without doing it manually.
    I enabled my router Upnp via settings for msn video and voice
    but still don't work.Am i still missing something simple?
    I'm using MSN 7 (beta)
    McAfee firewall which gives Msn full internet access.
    Updated my router firmware to the latest version.
    I've been searching high and low for answers on the

    Jerry G., Feb 8, 2005

  3. david Mapleston

    Bob B Guest

    Main problem is that messenger 6.2 is not working ..same thing happened at
    times last night ... Bob

    Bob B, Feb 8, 2005
  4. On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:20:23 -0500, "Jerry G." <>
    wrote:

    >If your modem has a firewall, and your router also has one, I would turn off
    >one of them.

    Turn off both and retry. If that works, turn on one and if the issue
    reappears, turn it back off and try the other. If that also leaves
    the ports blocked, pick one and configure it for your application.

    Swill

    --
    The reasons for censoring Britt Ekland's erotic dancing in the room
    next to Edward Woodward in the Inn, in the film "The Wicker Man" are

    Governor Swill, Feb 8, 2005