    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Al

    Alan, Jan 30, 2005

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    30 Jan 2005 19:45:51 GMT, "Alan" <> screamed from behind
    the mulberry bush:

    >Hi guys,
    >I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON processor.

    That's too bad.

    >I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    >correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was able
    >to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were wrong,
    >but I can't find what's wrong.

    If you haven't done it, disconnect everything but the CPU, RAM (1
    stick) and video card. As it boots, hit DEL to get into the BIOS and
    make sure you don't have the CPU misconfigured.

    >Any help would be great.
    >Thanks
    >Al

    ---

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Alan

    Paul B. Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi guys, I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a
    > new SEMPRON processor.
    >
    > I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper
    > setting are correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds
    > but then dies. I was able to see a message on the BIOS screen
    > that said the CMOS settings were wrong, but I can't find
    > what's wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be great. Thanks Al

    I just set up a pcchips board, and it was excellent. It came with
    one jumper misset, to prevent the battery from running down in
    transit, and was completely dead until that was reset. But that
    doesn't sound like your problem.

    Paul

    --
    Given address is infrequently checked. Please reply to group.

    Paul B., Jan 30, 2005
  4. Alan wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON processor.
    >
    > I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    > correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was able
    > to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were wrong,
    > but I can't find what's wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    > Thanks
    > Al

    I believe if you were to refer to the manual or the stickers that were
    on the motherboard, there's a jumper that MUST be removed or it no workee.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    > > Hi guys,
    > > I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON

    processor.

    > > I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    > > correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was

    able
    > > to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were

    wrong,
    > > but I can't find what's wrong.
    > >
    > > Any help would be great.
    > > Thanks
    > > Al

    > I believe if you were to refer to the manual or the stickers that were
    > on the motherboard, there's a jumper that MUST be removed or it no workee.

    Done that.
    Still no workee.

    Alan, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Paul B." <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    > > Hi guys, I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a
    > > new SEMPRON processor.
    > >
    > > I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper
    > > setting are correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds
    > > but then dies. I was able to see a message on the BIOS screen
    > > that said the CMOS settings were wrong, but I can't find
    > > what's wrong.
    > >
    > > Any help would be great. Thanks Al

    > I just set up a pcchips board, and it was excellent. It came with
    > one jumper misset, to prevent the battery from running down in
    > transit, and was completely dead until that was reset. But that
    > doesn't sound like your problem.
    >

    > Paul
    >
    > --
    > Given address is infrequently checked. Please reply to group.

    If you're referring to the CMOS J1 jumper, I've done it.

    Alan, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Alan wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi guys,
    >>>I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON

    > processor.
    >
    >>>I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    >>>correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was

    > able
    >
    >>>to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were

    > wrong,
    >
    >>>but I can't find what's wrong.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be great.
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Al

    >>I believe if you were to refer to the manual or the stickers that were
    >>on the motherboard, there's a jumper that MUST be removed or it no workee.

    > Done that.
    > Still no workee.

    If you've double/triple checked the other jumpers, reseated memory and
    processor and it still won't boot, then sounds like RMA time.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005
  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in message
    > I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    > 30 Jan 2005 19:45:51 GMT, "Alan" <> screamed from behind
    > the mulberry bush:
    >
    > >Hi guys,
    > >I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON

    processor.

    > That's too bad.
    >
    > >I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    > >correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was

    able
    > >to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were

    wrong,
    > >but I can't find what's wrong.

    > If you haven't done it, disconnect everything but the CPU, RAM (1
    > stick) and video card. As it boots, hit DEL to get into the BIOS and
    > make sure you don't have the CPU misconfigured.
    >
    > >Any help would be great.
    > >Thanks
    > >Al
    > >

    > ---
    >

    > Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in

    I can't get into the BIOS, because it won't boot up.

    Alan, Jan 30, 2005
  9. Alan

    Tony Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    > I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON
    > processor.
    >
    > I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    > correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was
    > able
    > to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were
    > wrong,
    > but I can't find what's wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    > Thanks
    > Al

    Have you tried installing the latest BIOS?

    Tony, Jan 30, 2005
  10. Alan

    Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:45:51 GMT, "Alan" <> wrote:

    |> Hi guys,
    |> I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON processor.
    |>
    |> I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    |> correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was able
    |> to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were wrong,
    |> but I can't find what's wrong.

    Make sure your PC speaker is hook'd up, how many beeps?
    http://tinyurl.com/5qqua

    --

    , Jan 30, 2005
  11. Alan

    Plato Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON processor.

    Curious, did you get the retail sempron w/fansink or pick up a different
    fansink?

    Plato, Jan 31, 2005
  12. I wouldn't run a PCChips motherboard, if PCChips paid *me*!!!

    @}-}-------Rosee, Feb 1, 2005
  13. Alan

    jp10558 Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:45:51 GMT, Alan wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > I have bought a new motherboard (PCCHIPS M863G) and a new SEMPRON processor.
    >
    > I've installed everything, but it won't work. The jumper setting are
    > correct, and it bursts into life for a few seconds but then dies. I was able
    > to see a message on the BIOS screen that said the CMOS settings were wrong,
    > but I can't find what's wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    > Thanks
    > Al

    There are a few things to check. First, make sure the power supply is
    adequate.

    Then check for shorts - the best way to do this is to connect only the
    motherboard, CPU and graphics card and RAM to the PSU, but do not have the
    motherboard in the case, put it on a block of wood or something non
    conductive. If it powers up there, check your case/installation for shorts.

    Next is the PSU itself. Find a spare psu of spec, and see if it boots. If
    it does, your PSU is shot. (Alternatively get some electrical person to use
    a multimiter and see if the PSU works, I'm not very clear on how to do
    that, so I'll leave that to experts).

    Finally, check the power on switch in the case. The best way to test this
    is to either use a known working case switch(from another case) or to try
    shorting accross the ATX power on jumpers on the board with a screwdriver
    and see if it starts correctly. If so, your power switch is broken.

    If all of the above fail, then it probably is the motherboard or CPU.
    Generally, you would RMA both if you bought as a package. If not, then you
    pretty much have to do the same trial and error - ie try the CPU in another
    board you know works, if it works, its the motherboard, if not it's the
    CPU. Then you try a known working CPU in the current motherboard, if it
    works only the CPU was bad ... etc.. you get the idea.

    jp10558

    jp10558, Feb 2, 2005