Help with modem installation / dialup connection PLEASE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DemoDisk, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Since the middle of April I've been struggling to get this homebuild
    straightened out. Finally got the DVD writer back, and fought to get a
    Sterling S20 softmodem working.

    The modem works, sort of. But it will only connect *when the receiver is
    off the hook* and usually only offers 24000 bps. Very slow, and with
    lots of restarts (you can hear the modem negotiating a re-connect).

    WHY this condition is, I don't know, but I suspect driver/IRQ problems.
    Win98se plug&pray lists it *twice* in Device Mgr -- and each one has
    assigned resources. MSInfo32 shows no conflicts, but there's no driver
    installed for "PCI System Management Bus," and it's a PCI softmodem.

    Now that My Computer sees the DVD rewriter again, I can install drivers
    if I can find 'em. But I'm really trying to get a stable, fast dialup
    connection so I can at least look for help online.

    If you can offer any help, TIA very much. I'll read here and post back.

    JPM
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    512 Crucial 3200
    ATI Radeon 8500 video w 128K
    DELL 1905 FP Analog
    Sterling S20 (listed as CNXT V92 PCI modem)
    Windows98 SE

    DemoDisk, Jul 14, 2006

  2. DemoDisk wrote:
    > Since the middle of April I've been struggling to get this homebuild
    > straightened out. Finally got the DVD writer back, and fought to get a
    > Sterling S20 softmodem working.
    >
    > The modem works, sort of. But it will only connect *when the receiver is
    > off the hook* and usually only offers 24000 bps. Very slow, and with
    > lots of restarts (you can hear the modem negotiating a re-connect).
    >
    > WHY this condition is, I don't know, but I suspect driver/IRQ problems.
    > Win98se plug&pray lists it *twice* in Device Mgr -- and each one has
    > assigned resources. MSInfo32 shows no conflicts, but there's no driver
    > installed for "PCI System Management Bus," and it's a PCI softmodem.
    >
    > Now that My Computer sees the DVD rewriter again, I can install drivers
    > if I can find 'em. But I'm really trying to get a stable, fast dialup
    > connection so I can at least look for help online.

    Replace the defective modem.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 14, 2006

  3. DemoDisk

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-14, DemoDisk <> wrote:
    > Since the middle of April I've been struggling to get this homebuild
    > straightened out. Finally got the DVD writer back, and fought to get a
    > Sterling S20 softmodem working.
    >
    > The modem works, sort of. But it will only connect *when the receiver is
    > off the hook* and usually only offers 24000 bps. Very slow, and with
    > lots of restarts (you can hear the modem negotiating a re-connect).

    snip

    Ditch the winmodem and get a real one. They work so much better, and if
    you get an external one you don't have your OS beffuddled every time the
    modem gets confused - you can re-start the modem without upsetting the
    computer at all. The little blinky lights are fun to watch when you're
    waiting for data to transfer, and they can even give you some idea what's
    going on.

    You'll also find that the real modem works just as well with Linux, when
    you make the move.

    How well the connection works will depend a lot on the quality of your
    telephone line; get the telco to come out and check it from your end if
    you think it may be faulty. (But do make sure that none of your own
    equipment is causing the trouble first - eg disconnect everything, then
    try connecting just the modem, then just one telephone, then both, and so
    on).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 14, 2006
  4. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-07-14, DemoDisk <> wrote:
    >
    >>Since the middle of April I've been struggling to get this homebuild
    >>straightened out. Finally got the DVD writer back, and fought to get a
    >>Sterling S20 softmodem working.
    >>
    >>The modem works, sort of. But it will only connect *when the receiver is
    >>off the hook* and usually only offers 24000 bps. Very slow, and with
    >>lots of restarts (you can hear the modem negotiating a re-connect).

    > snip
    >
    > Ditch the winmodem and get a real one. They work so much better, and if
    > you get an external one you don't have your OS beffuddled every time the
    > modem gets confused - you can re-start the modem without upsetting the
    > computer at all. The little blinky lights are fun to watch when you're
    > waiting for data to transfer, and they can even give you some idea what's
    > going on.
    >
    > You'll also find that the real modem works just as well with Linux, when
    > you make the move.
    >
    > How well the connection works will depend a lot on the quality of your
    > telephone line; get the telco to come out and check it from your end if
    > you think it may be faulty. (But do make sure that none of your own
    > equipment is causing the trouble first - eg disconnect everything, then
    > try connecting just the modem, then just one telephone, then both, and so
    > on).

    It's no longer good enough to just say "external modem" because the USB
    types are usually still winmodems.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 14, 2006
  5. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote...

    > Replace the defective modem.

    Thanks for responding, Rôgêr.

    Replace it with what? Some people consider software modems the
    definition of a defect. I have learned that they're "incomplete"
    component-wise, and that an external, hardware-only 56K modem is the
    only real answer.

    Is there no helping this Sterling modem? And which is the best modem
    brand?

    DemoDisk, Jul 14, 2006
  6. DemoDisk wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote...
    >

    >>Replace the defective modem.

    > Thanks for responding, Rôgêr.
    >
    > Replace it with what? Some people consider software modems the
    > definition of a defect. I have learned that they're "incomplete"
    > component-wise, and that an external, hardware-only 56K modem is the
    > only real answer.
    >
    > Is there no helping this Sterling modem? And which is the best modem
    > brand?

    I don't know what to tell you, except US Robotics is usually considered
    the de facto standard modem. But I've actually had good luck with some
    of the Winmodems, like those from Diamond. I'd rather spend $15-20 once
    or twice than spend $75 to get the "real" hardware modem. Just my
    opinion, there's every chance it could be wrong. The time has long since
    gone by that a software modem took any sort of significant amount of
    processing power off of the computer.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 14, 2006
  7. DemoDisk

    Top Guest

    Rôgêr formulated the question :
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-07-14, DemoDisk <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Since the middle of April I've been struggling to get this homebuild
    >>>straightened out. Finally got the DVD writer back, and fought to get a
    >>>Sterling S20 softmodem working.
    >>>
    >>>The modem works, sort of. But it will only connect *when the receiver is
    >>>off the hook* and usually only offers 24000 bps. Very slow, and with
    >>>lots of restarts (you can hear the modem negotiating a re-connect).

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Ditch the winmodem and get a real one. They work so much better, and if
    >> you get an external one you don't have your OS beffuddled every time the
    >> modem gets confused - you can re-start the modem without upsetting the
    >> computer at all. The little blinky lights are fun to watch when you're
    >> waiting for data to transfer, and they can even give you some idea what's
    >> going on.
    >>
    >> You'll also find that the real modem works just as well with Linux, when
    >> you make the move.
    >>
    >> How well the connection works will depend a lot on the quality of your
    >> telephone line; get the telco to come out and check it from your end if you
    >> think it may be faulty. (But do make sure that none of your own equipment
    >> is causing the trouble first - eg disconnect everything, then try
    >> connecting just the modem, then just one telephone, then both, and so on).
    >>

    > It's no longer good enough to just say "external modem" because the USB types
    > are usually still winmodems.

    Are there no external modem that connect via serial port these days?

    Top, Jul 14, 2006
  8. Top wrote:
    > Rôgêr formulated the question :
    >
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> snip
    >>>
    >>> Ditch the winmodem and get a real one. They work so much better, and
    >>> if you get an external one you don't have your OS beffuddled every
    >>> time the modem gets confused - you can re-start the modem without
    >>> upsetting the computer at all. The little blinky lights are fun to
    >>> watch when you're waiting for data to transfer, and they can even
    >>> give you some idea what's going on.
    >>> You'll also find that the real modem works just as well with Linux, when
    >>> you make the move.
    >>>
    >>> How well the connection works will depend a lot on the quality of
    >>> your telephone line; get the telco to come out and check it from your
    >>> end if you think it may be faulty. (But do make sure that none of
    >>> your own equipment is causing the trouble first - eg disconnect
    >>> everything, then try connecting just the modem, then just one
    >>> telephone, then both, and so on).
    >>>

    >> It's no longer good enough to just say "external modem" because the
    >> USB types are usually still winmodems.

    > Are there no external modem that connect via serial port these days?

    Yeah, Newegg.com has several listed. But you gotta watch out for the
    "system requirements". OS's should include Linux or it's probably not a
    hardware modem.

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 14, 2006
  9. DemoDisk

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-14, Top <> wrote:
    > Rôgêr formulated the question :

    snip

    >> It's no longer good enough to just say "external modem" because the USB types
    >> are usually still winmodems.

    > Are there no external modem that connect via serial port these days?

    Yes there are. They will also connect via a USB socket, using a
    Serial/USB adaptor. I used just such a set-up for the best part of two
    years. Real external modems have their own power supply and on/off
    switch, and an array of informative LEDs - they also cost more than
    winmodems, and the packaging will state something like 'use with any
    operating system' or 'any computer with a Serial socket'.

    The one I have is a Zoom model 3049, but there are other makes and models
    too.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 14, 2006
  10. DemoDisk

    thanatoid Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > Since the middle of April I've been struggling to get this
    > homebuild straightened out. Finally got the DVD writer
    > back, and fought to get a Sterling S20 softmodem working.

    <SNIP>

    On the off chance you may still check to see if anyone's written
    anything else, softmodems are not a problem because they "use
    system resources" but because they MESS with the system.

    A good modem does NOT have to be external, it just has to be a
    complete modem, not a soft- or win-modem.

    You can get an internal PCI modem for about 10-15 dollars. Or 3
    dollars at a garage sale.

    OTOH, there is a DOS program from 1998 called
    "PortInfo and the CTS Serial Port Utilities"

    It's a little complicated but it helped me resolve some problems
    I had with my USR early on.

    I checked the web site and they're history. You may be able to
    find it on some shareware server, or another program like it. (I
    once DL'd modem doctor or something and after 5 hours of
    constant dialing and disconnecting and buzzing it told me my
    internal USR modem was operating at 99% capacity. THAT was a
    waste of time!)

    Since the CTS thing is under 1 MB if you ask nicely I suppose I
    could post it for you in a.b.w.ibm-pc.old

    But rather than bothering with all that I would just get a real
    modem and see what happens. Anyone can afford ten bucks.

    thanatoid, Jul 21, 2006