Help with memory problem in older computer please.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bob, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
    chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs and I
    installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem with
    Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now runs
    fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared to the
    64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.

    I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
    get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut down
    some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen except
    for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.

    Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
    the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in my
    computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I should
    do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?

    Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
    with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to how
    the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately, that's
    all I know.

    Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.

    Bob
    Bob, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Bob

    colin Guest

    Bob <> wrote in message
    > I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
    > chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs

    and I
    > installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem

    with
    > Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now

    runs
    > fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared

    to the
    > 64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.
    >
    > I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
    > get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut

    down
    > some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen

    except
    > for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.
    >
    > Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
    > the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in

    my
    > computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I

    should
    > do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?
    >
    > Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
    > with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to

    how
    > the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately,

    that's
    > all I know.
    >
    > Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.
    >
    > Bob

    Have a look over the manual, if you haven`t already done so.
    ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/Manuals/en/569/569EN.ZIP
    colin, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Bob

    Wizard Guest

    Sounds to me like you have insuffiecient Swap File space on your drive

    Wizard, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:37:34 +1000, "colin" <> wrote:

    >Bob <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
    >> chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs

    >and I
    >> installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem

    >with
    >> Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now

    >runs
    >> fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared

    >to the
    >> 64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.
    >>
    >> I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
    >> get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut

    >down
    >> some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen

    >except
    >> for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.
    >>
    >> Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
    >> the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in

    >my
    >> computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I

    >should
    >> do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?
    >>
    >> Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
    >> with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to

    >how
    >> the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately,

    >that's
    >> all I know.
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Have a look over the manual, if you haven`t already done so.
    >ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/Manuals/en/569/569EN.ZIP

    Thanks for suggesting this. It is a good idea, but it doesn't help my
    particular situation. I looked at it again, but there is nothing about using
    PC-100 memory DIMMs. That's not surprising as they didn't exist at the time my
    mb was manufactured.

    I was hoping to find a memory guru here that would be able to tell me if
    there are any problems using this kind of memory with my mb. I'm keeping my
    fingers crossed that someone knowledgeable of this kind of situation will
    respond. Thanks.

    Bob
    Bob, Sep 27, 2004