    Is there any links anyone could offer to sites offering advice. Or,
    can anyone suggest a softwre programme designed for the job?

    Chris
    chris, Jan 22, 2004

  2. chris

    AArDvarK Guest

    As far as image comments attached to an image,
    as in "image info" try XnView, which is free. It
    handles a great many file types and it's thumbnails
    are databased, so they load fast. you'll want the full
    sized package: http://www.xnview.com/ as well
    the databased thumbnails take up very little space.
    mine is 14.8 megabytes.

    My "My Pictures" folder costs 11.93 Gb, 10,101
    files and 396 folders (which includes each zip
    file).

    The other costs big bux which is Thumbplus, and
    it's database is much larger depending on how you
    set it up. I have two databases set up, one is over
    63 Mb, the other over 130 Mb ... each for the same
    folder of "My pictures" ... all for the same as
    XnView is doing. http://www.cerious.com/
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Jan 22, 2004

  3. chris

    Savidge4 Guest

    I see this question over and over and tend to be amazed over and over to the
    answers. As far as I know there is not a photo database program that is worth
    anything. there are many limitations to all of them.

    A quick lesson in Excel can go a long way in creating a spreadsheet that will
    meet all of your needs. Yes, there is some upfront time in A) setting the
    thing up and B) inserting all of your past work, but once you start using it,
    well there is no other choice.

    there are many other options beyond excel. I am familiar with some friends
    that use a ASP.NET application that they have written that is very nice And as
    for me, I use a dated Access database that I created some number of years ago.
    I have nice search fields by topic or date (as well as many other fields) I
    have thumbnail views of all the images, and my current database holds info on
    about 17,000 images.

    The one nice thing about creating your own spredsheet/database is the fact that
    you can program specifically what you want, and over time as your needs may
    change you can program the changes. And the truth is, it really is not that
    hard to do.

    Hope that helps!
    Savidge4, Jan 22, 2004
  4. chris

    C3 Guest

    This sounds like quite a good idea. Would you mind giving me (us?) a few
    pointers on how to set the whole thing up? I haven't used Access in a while,
    but it'll come to me.

    If you have any links that you think helped you, those would be great to
    have as well.

    cheers,

    C3

    C3, Jan 22, 2004
  5. chris

    AArDvarK Guest

    That would be cool to learn ... does it involve
    computer language programing? Because I don't
    know any ... I have office 97 pro.

    Alex

    AArDvarK, Jan 22, 2004
  6. PeterZiminski, Jan 23, 2004