Help with list of values

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Abbigail, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Abbigail

    Abbigail Guest

    I would appreciate your advice; I have a spreadsheet in Excel, which I'm
    trying to make as easy as possible for users (seriously).

    I have three columns and in two of the columns I have a drop down list, how
    can I get the third column to come up with the answer, however columns one
    and two have many different combinations. The answer is also in text and
    not in numbers, examples could be:

    Negligible + Moderate = Medium

    (Column 1, list of values + Column 2, list of values = Column 3 - this value
    would just appear).

    There are 5 values in each of the list of values in columns 1 and 2, and
    there combination can equal a total of any 4 in column 3.

    I hope the above makes sense, and any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Abbigail, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Abbigail

    richard Guest

    "Abbigail" <> wrote in message
    >I would appreciate your advice; I have a spreadsheet in Excel, which I'm
    >trying to make as easy as possible for users (seriously).
    >

    > I have three columns and in two of the columns I have a drop down list,
    > how can I get the third column to come up with the answer, however columns
    > one and two have many different combinations. The answer is also in text
    > and not in numbers, examples could be:
    >

    > Negligible + Moderate = Medium
    >
    > (Column 1, list of values + Column 2, list of values = Column 3 - this
    > value would just appear).
    >

    > There are 5 values in each of the list of values in columns 1 and 2, and
    > there combination can equal a total of any 4 in column 3.
    >

    > I hope the above makes sense, and any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,

    Time to read up on the help section. Most spreadsheets have a way to do
    this.
    You should be able to compute the answer with a bit of coding built into the
    spreadsheet.
    richard, Sep 23, 2006