help with laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by book lover, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. book lover

    book lover Guest

    Hi all
    I have a problem with my wife ('s laptop) she got a old compaq lte
    lite laptop with win 95
    hard drive is only 340mb partioned into 2 drives c: 270 odd d:40 odd
    I want to reload win 95 BUT and a big but it is a: drive is kaput
    some one has taken out the compaq setup file needed to get to the bios
    and i am under death threat if i stuff it up before she needs it when
    she goes into hospital (she''s into fanfic).
    Now i have a theory I load win95 onto d: from my zip disk delete c:
    without formating run setup from d: and it should all go well (lol)
    Will it work or is there a better way i can link using laplink but if
    i format c: i lose dos which laplink needs
    Because i can't get to the bios i don't know the settings or change
    any settings.
    book lover, Sep 30, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. book lover

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:45:43 +1200, book lover <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    > I have a problem with my wife ('s laptop) she got a old compaq lte
    >lite laptop with win 95
    >hard drive is only 340mb partioned into 2 drives c: 270 odd d:40 odd
    >I want to reload win 95 BUT and a big but it is a: drive is kaput
    >some one has taken out the compaq setup file needed to get to the bios
    >and i am under death threat if i stuff it up before she needs it when
    >she goes into hospital (she''s into fanfic).
    >Now i have a theory I load win95 onto d: from my zip disk delete c:
    >without formating run setup from d: and it should all go well (lol)
    >Will it work or is there a better way i can link using laplink but if
    >i format c: i lose dos which laplink needs
    >Because i can't get to the bios i don't know the settings or change
    >any settings.


    If you go to www.compaq.com and click on the Support & Drivers link you
    should be able to find the BIOS setup disk file. I downloaded one for my old
    LTE Elite just recently (different model to the LTE Lite).

    I would imagine you would need more than 40MB for Win95 install files, but I
    could be wrong. If you could fit them onto the D: drive that would be the
    easiest way to install it.

    I don't know enough about LapLink to comment sorry.

    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, Sep 30, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ray Greene wrote:
    > I would imagine you would need more than 40MB for Win95 install
    > files, but I could be wrong. If you could fit them onto the D: drive
    > that would be the easiest way to install it.


    They're 32.2mb.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 30, 2003
    #3
  4. On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:45:43 +1200, book lover wrote:

    > some one has taken out the compaq setup file needed to get to the bios


    try hitting f10 in the bootup stage.

    There are downloadable compaq utils whcih will automatically repartition
    the drive and install the setup stuff, but if the drive is factory
    original then it will already have this.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 30, 2003
    #4
  5. book lover

    European Guest

    Hello everybody,

    first of all: the LTE Lite has no special Setup or whatever-Partition.
    The LTE Lite has its BIOS on an own programmable ROM.

    "booklover", i would like to know which model you have? I guess it is
    a 4/25C or even a 4/33C? How much RAM do you have in the unit? I
    strongly recommend NOT to install Windows95 with less than at least
    12MB RAM.

    > hard drive is only 340mb partioned into 2 drives c: 270 odd d:40 odd
    > I want to reload win 95 BUT and a big but it is a: drive is kaput


    Are you sure that a: is broken? I would open the Laptop and check if
    the cable is ok, or even buy a new LTE Lite on ebay. You need a:
    pretty often you know...

    > Now i have a theory I load win95 onto d: from my zip disk delete c:
    > without formating run setup from d: and it should all go well (lol)
    > Will it work or is there a better way i can link using laplink but if
    > i format c: i lose dos which laplink needs
    > Because i can't get to the bios i don't know the settings or change
    > any settings.


    you are wrong here. If you want to use the ZIP drive you need a: to
    install its drivers, but you said it is broken so..Getting to the BIOS
    won't help you. What will you do there? There is no option for
    "Laplink" or whatever...

    conclusion: you need the floppy disk drive to start OR you open the
    laptop and then you connect the harddisk to your desktop-computer and
    transfer the setup-files to it.
    but again you will need the floppy disk drive..so try to change it..

    Euro
    book lover <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all
    > I have a problem with my wife ('s laptop) she got a old compaq lte
    > lite laptop with win 95
    > hard drive is only 340mb partioned into 2 drives c: 270 odd d:40 odd
    > I want to reload win 95 BUT and a big but it is a: drive is kaput
    > some one has taken out the compaq setup file needed to get to the bios
    > and i am under death threat if i stuff it up before she needs it when
    > she goes into hospital (she''s into fanfic).
    > Now i have a theory I load win95 onto d: from my zip disk delete c:
    > without formating run setup from d: and it should all go well (lol)
    > Will it work or is there a better way i can link using laplink but if
    > i format c: i lose dos which laplink needs
    > Because i can't get to the bios i don't know the settings or change
    > any settings.
    European, Oct 1, 2003
    #5
  6. book lover

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 30 Sep 2003 20:27:20 -0700, (European) wrote:

    >Hello everybody,
    >
    >first of all: the LTE Lite has no special Setup or whatever-Partition.
    >The LTE Lite has its BIOS on an own programmable ROM.


    Computer Setup and Diagnostics software is available for download at
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/LTE/us/locate/3_873.html
    It runs off a floppy disk though. On my Elite it allows you to set up a
    diagnostics partition but I guess on the Lite it just talks directly to the
    ROM chip.
    The F10 key will get him into the BIOS on startup.

    >"booklover", i would like to know which model you have? I guess it is
    >a 4/25C or even a 4/33C? How much RAM do you have in the unit? I
    >strongly recommend NOT to install Windows95 with less than at least
    >12MB RAM.
    >
    >> hard drive is only 340mb partioned into 2 drives c: 270 odd d:40 odd
    >> I want to reload win 95 BUT and a big but it is a: drive is kaput

    >
    >Are you sure that a: is broken? I would open the Laptop and check if
    >the cable is ok, or even buy a new LTE Lite on ebay. You need a:
    >pretty often you know...
    >
    >> Now i have a theory I load win95 onto d: from my zip disk delete c:
    >> without formating run setup from d: and it should all go well (lol)
    >> Will it work or is there a better way i can link using laplink but if
    >> i format c: i lose dos which laplink needs
    >> Because i can't get to the bios i don't know the settings or change
    >> any settings.

    >
    >you are wrong here. If you want to use the ZIP drive you need a: to
    >install its drivers, but you said it is broken so..Getting to the BIOS
    >won't help you. What will you do there? There is no option for
    >"Laplink" or whatever...


    Perhaps he wanted to see if the floppy drive had been disabled in the BIOS.
    And he may have the Zip drivers already installed, in which case he should be
    up and running.

    >conclusion: you need the floppy disk drive to start OR you open the
    >laptop and then you connect the harddisk to your desktop-computer and
    >transfer the setup-files to it.
    >but again you will need the floppy disk drive..so try to change it..


    Let us know how you get on book lover.

    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, Oct 1, 2003
    #6
  7. book lover

    terry Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:39:44 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >On 30 Sep 2003 20:27:20 -0700, (European) wrote:
    >
    >>Hello everybody,
    >>

    >
    >Let us know how you get on book lover.
    >
    >Ray Greene.

    Hi booklover here well its done
    Number 1 sorry it's a elite not lite forgot the e
    2 Iwanted to get to the bios so if I could i could load dos onto d:
    and boot instead of c:
    3 What I did in the end was copy drivers for zip using laplink
    installed zip into c: copy win95 to d: just fitted with other stuff
    thats there.
    In dos deltree c:
    setup win95 from d: (held breath)
    worked- started breathing and carried on my merry way feeling pleased
    with my self
    have had it opened and chked a: it's kaput
    No extra money to get another drive will keep a eye out you never know
    what comes up
    If anyone know of a cheap drive or compute the same let me know tjw
    at yahoo.co.nz
    Or is there another drive that goes in them
    It a 4/75 with 24 ram so it does go quite well for what she wants it
    for
    By the way great bunch of folks here get a lot of advice by just
    reading the posts

    thanks for the help booklover
    terry, Oct 1, 2003
    #7
  8. On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:39:37 +1200, terry wrote:

    > Number 1 sorry it's a elite not lite forgot the e


    No CDrom?

    If it has one you could boot freedos and twiddle the partition table from
    there.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 1, 2003
    #8
  9. book lover

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:39:37 +1200, terry <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:39:44 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:


    >Hi booklover here well its done
    >Number 1 sorry it's a elite not lite forgot the e
    >2 Iwanted to get to the bios so if I could i could load dos onto d:
    >and boot instead of c:
    >3 What I did in the end was copy drivers for zip using laplink
    >installed zip into c: copy win95 to d: just fitted with other stuff
    >thats there.
    >In dos deltree c:
    >setup win95 from d: (held breath)
    >worked- started breathing and carried on my merry way feeling pleased
    >with my self
    >have had it opened and chked a: it's kaput
    >No extra money to get another drive will keep a eye out you never know
    >what comes up
    >If anyone know of a cheap drive or compute the same let me know tjw
    >at yahoo.co.nz
    >Or is there another drive that goes in them
    >It a 4/75 with 24 ram so it does go quite well for what she wants it
    >for
    >By the way great bunch of folks here get a lot of advice by just
    >reading the posts
    >
    >thanks for the help booklover


    Congratulations, glad it's working again. Yours has the same specs as mine.
    They're a good machine and the trackball on the side of the screen is
    brilliant IMHO. These things appear occasionally on TradeMe, you might find a
    dead one there to salvage a floppy drive from.

    Ray Greene..
    Ray Greene, Oct 1, 2003
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQy4=?=

    Work Laptop (XP Pro in Domain) to Home Laptop (XPH WorkGroup)

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQy4=?=, Oct 19, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,876
    Chris Gual [MSFT]
    Oct 22, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qmx1Y2FkZHk3MQ==?=

    Desktop can't access Laptop but Laptop can access desktop

    =?Utf-8?B?Qmx1Y2FkZHk3MQ==?=, Nov 22, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    790
    Chuck
    Nov 23, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?VGF6?=

    WLAN: from Laptop to Laptop to router ...???

    =?Utf-8?B?VGF6?=, Oct 14, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    5,453
    =?Utf-8?B?VGF6?=
    Oct 14, 2005
  4. Plomaris

    Desktop can see Laptop, but Laptop can't see Desktop!

    Plomaris, Feb 16, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,961
    Plomaris
    Feb 17, 2006
  5. rafael
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,834
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jan 21, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page