help with laptop computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ragz, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. ragz

    ragz Guest

    Hi ! My sister brought down her laptop because it kept crashing in boot up
    stage. I managed get it booted after a few visits to safe mode but it is
    only showing about 3" by 4"of the screen and the rest is all black . she
    received an email and it must have been one of the new "@mm" worms for her
    phone book sent the virus to me but after 2 days I managed to clean my
    computer.
    Her computer is clean now "I think" but it's as if its effected the video or
    graphics system files or drivers , can anyone give any advice? . She has a
    Toshiba 4030 cdt and win98 se .
    Ps. These new virus.e.g.. mimail.klez and a multitude of other names all
    ending with @mm are quite prolific and cause a lot of infected files on your
    system , also these viruses\worms close down your antivirus so it cant
    update or serve its purpose , also it gets into you secure files . I suggest
    that as many people as possible firstly save their phonebook details to file
    and delete the contacts within for this is how the virus is traveling also
    after 3 days of surfing I soon realized that lots of people know of these
    viruses but not many know how to clean them off their system. I come across
    a small program called "STINGER" this software allowed me to get into my
    antivirus and stabilize it long enough for me to update and scan my pc.
    .....Ragz...

    "Pay heed to the phonebook suggestion
    ragz, Jan 10, 2004

  2. ragz

    °Mike° Guest

    If she can't even boot up after a virus/worm infection, she's
    probably better off reformatting and starting from fresh.

    You *could* try F-Prot for DOS.
    http://www.f-prot.com/products/fpdos.html

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:51:18 -0000, in
    <cfVLb.10738$>
    ragz scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004

  3. ragz

    Sultan Guest

    ragz wrote in news:cfVLb.10738$:

    > Hi ! My sister brought down her laptop because it kept crashing in
    > boot up stage. I managed get it booted after a few visits to safe mode
    > but it is only showing about 3" by 4"of the screen and the rest is all
    > black . she received an email and it must have been one of the new
    > "@mm" worms for her phone book sent the virus to me but after 2 days I
    > managed to clean my computer.
    > Her computer is clean now "I think" but it's as if its effected the
    > video or graphics system files or drivers , can anyone give any
    > advice? . She has a Toshiba 4030 cdt and win98 se .
    > Ps. These new virus.e.g.. mimail.klez and a multitude of other names
    > all ending with @mm are quite prolific and cause a lot of infected
    > files on your system , also these viruses\worms close down your
    > antivirus so it cant update or serve its purpose , also it gets into
    > you secure files . I suggest that as many people as possible firstly
    > save their phonebook details to file and delete the contacts within
    > for this is how the virus is traveling also after 3 days of surfing I
    > soon realized that lots of people know of these viruses but not many
    > know how to clean them off their system. I come across a small program
    > called "STINGER" this software allowed me to get into my antivirus and
    > stabilize it long enough for me to update and scan my pc. ....Ragz...
    >
    > "Pay heed to the phonebook suggestion

    Reformat - Reinstall 98.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 10, 2004