Help with Kodak digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stormlady, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Stormlady

    Stormlady Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm mostly a lurker here, but I have a question that I was hoping someone
    could help me with. A friend of mine got a Kodak digital camera for
    Christmas, I'm not sure the exact model, it's a 5mp point and shoot.

    She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then she
    was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick it up
    to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself off (as it
    was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then she tried to
    turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the batteries had run
    down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they were so hot that she
    had to drop them or be burnt.

    Since then, the camera will not work at all. The batteries were the Kodak
    batteries that came with the camera, but she has tried several different
    sets to try and get it working and it just will not turn on.

    Does anyone know what could have happened? How should she go about fixing
    it? She brought it back to the store and they told her that it was faulty
    batteries and not their responsibility. (Even though the camera is not yet
    2 months old and the batteries came with the camera?) This store is
    notorious for poor customer service so she doesn't feel she should trust
    their answer. She feels like they just don't want to deal with it. Could
    it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that came with the camera,
    then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?

    Any help I can give her would be appreciated.

    Sorry this is so long

    Thanks
    Heather

    Stormlady, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Stormlady

    Dave Guest

    Dear Heather,

    The batteries could be indeed faulty. If the camera dealer won't replace the
    camera, I would send it to Kodak since it's under warranty. Be sure to let
    everyone know not to buy anything from the camera dealer who wouldn't
    replace your friend's camera.

    Good luck,
    Dave

    Dave, Feb 9, 2006

  3. I would contact Kodak and report the store as they are a retailer of their
    products. Kodak would fix the problem if the camera is under warranty.
    Contact them and see what they say.

    newfysnapshot, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Stormlady

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:59:02 GMT, Stormlady wrote:

    > She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then she
    > was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick it up
    > to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself off (as it
    > was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then she tried to
    > turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the batteries had run
    > down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they were so hot that she
    > had to drop them or be burnt.

    I had a similar experience with a radio not long ago. While
    holding it I noticed that it felt slightly warm so I tried removing
    the batteries. One of them must have shorted internally because it
    was also far too hot to touch. So hot that the case swelled enough
    to split the plastic sheathing around it. The other batteries were
    fine and the radio wasn't damaged. With a camera, due to limited
    space, it's circuitry is probably much closer to, and much more
    easily damaged by an excessively hot battery.

    But you don't really know whether the problem was due to a
    defective battery (I assume an AA cell) or a defective camera that
    shorted out the batteries. Either way, I think you'll have a much
    better chance of getting the problem resolved if you deal with Kodak
    than with your local store having the poor reputation for customer
    service. In any case, even highly reputable stores usually have
    very short return periods (typically from 7 to 30 days), after which
    they require you to deal with the manufacturer. In your friend's
    case since the camera was "not yet 2 months old" she shouldn't
    expect help from the store. That kind of service might be expected
    from a much smaller local specialty store where good relationships
    are built up over time, but larger stores, especially "chains" don't
    work that way. BTW, there's no way for the store's personnel to
    know that faulty batteries damaged the camera, even though there's a
    good possibility that that was what happened. They probably told
    her that to get rid of her because they had no authority to have the
    camera exchanged or serviced, and would likely get on the wrong side
    of the store's management if they tried pestering someone to do
    something about the camera. That kind of "special treatment" is
    reserved for celebrities and politicians, that probably hadn't paid
    for the camera or whatever in the first place. Stick around for a
    while. Ron B. often drops by to provide helpful suggestions to
    people having questions or problems with Kodak products.

    ASAAR, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Stormlady

    Guest

    >Any help I can give her would be appreciated.

    Were both batteries hot?

    If so the camera is at fault. Two batteries won't short internally
    simultaneously.The camera was drawing to much current and it
    would be normal for the batteries to heat up.

    , Feb 9, 2006
  6. Stormlady

    miles Guest

    Stormlady wrote:
    > Since it's the batteries that came with the camera,
    > then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?

    Many reputable stores will exchange it but they don't have to. Msot
    stores have a specific return policy, often 30 days or so. After that
    the manufactures warranty applies. Have you contacted Kodak on this?

    miles, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Stormlady

    secheese Guest

    Camera is a dud! Replace it.

    secheese, Feb 10, 2006
  8. Stormlady

    Guest

    , Feb 10, 2006
  9. Stormlady

    Guest

    , Feb 10, 2006
  10. Stormlady

    Ron Baird Guest

    Stormlady wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm mostly a lurker here, but I have a question that I was hoping someone
    >could help me with. A friend of mine got a Kodak digital camera for
    >Christmas, I'm not sure the exact model, it's a 5mp point and shoot.
    >
    >She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then she
    >was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick it up
    >to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself off (as it
    >was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then she tried to
    >turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the batteries had run
    >down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they were so hot that she
    >had to drop them or be burnt.
    >
    >Since then, the camera will not work at all. The batteries were the Kodak
    >batteries that came with the camera, but she has tried several different
    >sets to try and get it working and it just will not turn on.
    >
    >Does anyone know what could have happened? How should she go about fixing
    >it? She brought it back to the store and they told her that it was faulty
    >batteries and not their responsibility. (Even though the camera is not yet
    >2 months old and the batteries came with the camera?) This store is
    >notorious for poor customer service so she doesn't feel she should trust
    >their answer. She feels like they just don't want to deal with it. Could
    >it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that came with the camera,
    >then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?
    >
    >Any help I can give her would be appreciated.
    >
    >Sorry this is so long
    >
    >Thanks
    >Heather

    Hi Stormlady,

    Sorry to hear about your friends experience.

    Please tell your friend that the experience is quite unusual and she
    should call our online team to report it. They will bring the camera in
    for service and have it made right. Batteries can heat up while they are
    being charged, but not to the point of not being able to handle. Tell
    her to call us at 800 235-6325. If she continues to have a problem, let
    me know and I will help her directly. Please tell her to note all the
    details handy when she calls.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 10, 2006
  11. Stormlady

    Stormlady Guest

    Thanks Ron.

    What she did after was print off a bunch of stuff about the batteries
    heating up and march back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. She
    showed him the info and told him she wanted her camera replaced. He said he
    still thought it was the batteries fault, but he gave her a new camera, so
    she's happily taking pictures again. She really does like her camera, she
    just won't shop in that store anymore.

    I had emailed her the post from you, but she didn't have it at the time she
    went back because that would have been good to show the manager. Here's
    what you say, but here's what they say type of thing.

    Stormlady, Feb 13, 2006
  12. Stormlady

    Ron Baird Guest

    Stormlady wrote:

> [...]
    >>>it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that came with the
    >>>camera, then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?
    >>>
    >>>Any help I can give her would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Sorry this is so long
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Heather
    >>>

    >>Hi Stormlady,
    >>
    >>Sorry to hear about your friends experience.
    >>
    >>Please tell your friend that the experience is quite unusual and she
    >>should call our online team to report it. They will bring the camera in
    >>for service and have it made right. Batteries can heat up while they are
    >>being charged, but not to the point of not being able to handle. Tell her
    >>to call us at 800 235-6325. If she continues to have a problem, let me
    >>know and I will help her directly. Please tell her to note all the details

    Hi Stormlady,

    Glad your friend exchanged the camera and that she persevered in doing
    so. Truthfully, we will want to see that model, which I hope is returned
    with a note relating to whatever issue was involved. When something
    isn't right there is a reason and of course our teams want to know what
    it is. Glad she is OK. If you think I can help her, let me know.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 13, 2006