    next.

    Thanks!

    Barry

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=, Jul 5, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What is your motherboard and chipset?

    John Barnes, Jul 5, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Do you have the proper 64-bit SATA drivers for your system?

    John Barnes, Jul 5, 2005
  4. The board is a Supermicro H8DCE and the chipset is NVidia. I HAVE had x64
    running on the system earlier, but deleted it (it's a long story...), so it
    is not an issue with the hardware. The harddisk is also brand new and works
    fine.

    I think it has more to do with wanting to run it on the D drive. I had
    created a primary partiton on the D drive previously and think this may have
    something to do with my problem. However, I did let the installation script
    reformat the drive.

    Any ideas?

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=, Jul 5, 2005
  5. If the Windows 64-Bit installer writes to the drive and installs all of it's
    startup software isn't the correct driver installed? As I indicated in my
    other post, I HAVE had x64 installed and working on this system and did so
    without having to install any additional drivers. I know, I know...I should
    have left well enough alone and deleted x64. :-0

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=, Jul 5, 2005
  6. That's NEVER delete x64...

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=, Jul 5, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    No. The drive will be seen in the Text mode and fail to be seen in GUI mode
    on reboot if the wrong or no drivers are present.
    Also, I am having no luck installing x64 on a Hitachi SATA II drive.
    Hitachi is investigating the problem, but it involves the Nvidia chipset and
    Native SATA according to them, so far. Don't know if you will have that
    problem with the Raptors, maybe someone with your setup can post their
    solution. In theory, your Nvidia chipset should not need F6 drivers. Since
    you have a new drive, why don't you try to install on the drive it installed
    on before?

    John Barnes, Jul 5, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    The text mode portion of the x64 setup does not depend on the correct SATA
    driver being present, but when the install restarts into the GUI mode, it
    expects that driver to be present. My ASUS K8N-DL uses the nVidia chipset,
    and it did not need a F6 install of a SATA driver, but that's because the
    nVidia chipset is handling the first 4 SATA channels on the board. Your
    Supermicro H8DCE is based on the 2200 and 2250 nVidia chipsets (nice stuff!)
    so I'm wondering myself why it would need anything special to run the SATA.
    Could be BIOS issue, or perhaps boot.ini.

    M. Murcek, Jul 5, 2005
  9. >why don't you try to install on the drive it installed on before?

    As a last resort, that is what I may wind up doing. I was just hoping that
    someone else out there had experienced the same problem, would say "do this"
    in other words wave a magic wand and it all would work. :) I'm going to
    keep working on this and will report back to the group the results.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=, Jul 5, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just because you install x64 on the prior drive it worked on, doesn't mean
    you have to leave it there. I am hoping Hitachi/Nvidia work out the problem
    and let me know a solution, but for now I have NO choice if I want to use
    x64 on my system.

    John Barnes, Jul 5, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Barry.

    As said already in this thread, WinXP Setup knows how to partition and
    format your HD and copy all those files to it. All this is done while the
    computer is booted from the CD. After all this text-mode work is done, the
    computer tries to reboot into GUI mode, as others said - and fails.

    The failure has nothing really to do with text-mode versus GUI-mode, though.
    The problem is that nothing you've done so far has told WinXP how to boot
    from SATA. It knows how to boot from CD, but not from your HD. If native
    drivers for YOUR HD/chipset/controller are not on the CD, then they must be
    supplied from some other source before time to reboot from the HD. You will
    need to get the drivers for YOUR hardware and have them on a floppy before
    you run Setup. Then press F6 when invited, early in the Setup process, to
    let Setup know that you will need to install those drivers. Setup will seem
    to ignore the F6 keypress and continue copying all those files, but it will
    eventually stop with instructions onscreen for how to install the drivers
    from the floppy. (I sure hope your computer has a floppy drive, because
    Microsoft did not make it easy to install such drivers in any other way.)
    You will have to do this for each Windows installation, because the
    necessary drivers are embedded in each Registry; use F6 when you install
    32-bit WinXP, then again with 64-bit drivers when you install WinXP x64.

    No matter how many HDs you have, or how many partitions, the Microsoft
    dual-boot system will always boot from the System Partition, which is
    typically C:. It must be the Active (bootable) primary partition on the
    device designated in the BIOS as the boot device. The Root of this System
    Partition must contain the 3 startup files: NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and
    Boot.ini. The NT-style boot sector on this partition will load C:\NTLDR,
    which will use C:\Boot.ini and C:\NTDETECT.COM to locate and load WinXP,
    which can be on any primary partition or logical drive on any HD in your
    computer. So, if you have two HDs, each with a single primary partition,
    and you install 32-bit WinXP on C: on the first HD and x64 on D: on the
    second HD, the computer will always start booting from C:, at least as far
    as presenting the OS menu. When you choose x64 from the menu, C:\NTLDR will
    find it in D:\Windows and load it from there. (Note that Boot.ini does not
    use "drive" letters at all, but locates \Windows by using rdisk(#),
    numbering your physical drives starting with zero, and partition(#),
    numbering the volumes starting with one on each HD.) Your computer will
    have multiple Boot Volumes, one for each installation of Windows, but only a
    single System Partition for the whole machine.

    Are you using any RAID features of your mobo or Raptors? If you are simply
    using them as individual drives, then you might not need to use F6 to add
    drivers, depending on whether the WinXP CD-ROM has native support for your
    hardware. But if you plan to use any RAID features, you almost certainly
    will need to get the RAID drivers and load them during Setup by using F6.

    By the way, this F6/floppy shuffle is not new. It is required for almost
    any configuration other than the typical IDE system. I had to do it when I
    first loaded Win2K on my SCSI HD back in 2000. Once you get WinXP installed
    on your SATA system, DON'T LOSE THAT FLOPPY! If you ever have to reinstall
    WinXP for any reason, you probably will need it again. Even for a "repair
    install", also known as an "in-place upgrade", from the same WinXP CD.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 6, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Nice explanation except that during the TEXT phase when Windows is loading
    the system on the selected hard drive partition, it installs the files you
    mention but the boot.ini is set to 0 seconds and the place where the install
    was selected is set as the primary boot device and default boot device, so
    the re-boot will always go immediately to the new install for the GUI phase.
    As I have said, I have the same problem with SATA II. The files from the
    TEXT phase have been copied and are present when viewed from another
    installed system. My system just will not see a SATA II boot drive period.
    Sees it fine as a data drive.

    John Barnes, Jul 6, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Also, you can use the recovery console to fix the boot.ini so that you can
    boot into another bootable system so you can use the computer.

    John Barnes, Jul 6, 2005
  14. Ok, after a lot of tinkering, I FINALLY have x64 installed and working in
    dual boot mode. For those who have followed the thread and/or are wanting a
    dual boot system and are having problems, here is what I did to resolve the
    issue:

    1. "Repaired" the 2nd harddrive by booting from the Windows XP (32-Bit) CD,
    selecting Repair and running FixBoot on the drive.
    2. Using the computer management tool, deleted the partition information for
    the 2nd drive.
    3. Booted from the X64 CD. When it found the drives, I made sure that the
    partition information on the second drive matched that of my working 32-bit
    installation. Unpartitioned space changed from one mb to eight.
    4. Selected the full formatting option for the drive.

    You cannot image my surprise and joy after all of this when I got the x64
    boot screen! BTW - I am not sure which change resulted in success this time,
    however I my gut fealing is that #3 was what did it.

    I hope this info helps those out there with similar issues.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cnRvbnBh?=, Jul 11, 2005