    on the desktop.

    Am I missing something?

    , Sep 28, 2006

  2. Yes you are missing something. The computer running ICS takes the place of a
    router normally. Think of a router as being a one-way door. Everything
    connected to one side of the router can see each other, every thing on the
    other side will only see a door. By turning ICS on in the laptop, your
    adding a door between the router and the laptop, So the router sees the door
    and not the laptop, while the laptop sees a door and not the router. If you
    turn the wireless router into an access point (turn off the DHCP server in
    it) it should be possible to allow the laptop to serve DHCP request to the
    rest on the network, but then the laptop would need to always be connect to
    the network for the network to work.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 28, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    >I have a BlackBerry that I use to get access to the internet. I would
    > like to also use ICS with my desktop. Would I be able to use a
    > wireless router to link up the two computers and then go out to the
    > internet via the computer that has the BB connection?

    Wireless router means you dont need ICS. If you dont buy one, you do need
    ICS.

    > I've been able to use the wireless router to have the laptop connect as
    > well as a Cat 5 connection from the desktop to the wireless router.
    > When I turn ICS on in the laptop (this is the computer with the BB
    > connection), I am able to access the net with the laptop only and not
    > on the desktop.
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    Yep. Don't use ICS if their is a wireless router there.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 28, 2006