help with hardrive enclosure thingy

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Loren Pechtel, Mar 7, 2011.

  1. On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:35:15 -0800, t@ter. wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    >number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    >my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    >users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    >the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >access it?


    You'll need to be logged into an administrator account to see the
    files as they are owned by a different user (you, on the old
    computer.)

    In the future, make backups--hard drives have the distressing habit of
    not giving any warning before they die.
    Loren Pechtel, Mar 7, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Loren Pechtel

    Paul Guest

    t@ter. wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    > hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    > hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    > number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    > my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    > folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    > users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    > the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    > access it?


    A search term for this is "take ownership".
    There is an example answer here.

    "How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229210112AA8aOIB

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 7, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    hi,

    recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    access it?
    t@ter., Mar 7, 2011
    #3
  4. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:49:58 -0800, Loren Pechtel <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:35:15 -0800, t@ter. wrote:
    >
    >>hi,
    >>
    >>recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >>hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >>hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    >>number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    >>my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >>folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    >>users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    >>the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >>access it?

    >
    >You'll need to be logged into an administrator account to see the
    >files as they are owned by a different user (you, on the old
    >computer.)
    >
    >In the future, make backups--hard drives have the distressing habit of
    >not giving any warning before they die.


    Oh I did. From the time when we used little floppy disks, and I never had
    any problems except when a disk would screw up. But I kept several copies, so it
    was never a big deal. Then came thumb drives, and I thought that was awesome.
    Still do actually...they are... But also then came whateverthefuck Windows did
    to make it so documents you made with older Wordpad versions, get horribly
    fucked up when you put them in a computer with later Wordpad versions. So while
    I was in the process of trying to understand and get over that fucking, the
    harddrive on the computer I was trying to get away from (at that time I still
    thought it was a problem with that particular computer, not a deliberate fucking
    designed and imposed by our Windows "friends"), the computer stopped working.
    Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because I not only
    had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
    confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they would
    NOT. Good one, huh?
    t@ter., Mar 7, 2011
    #4
  5. Loren Pechtel

    A Petro Guest

    <t@ter.> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:49:58 -0800, Loren Pechtel
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:35:15 -0800, t@ter. wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi,
    >>>
    >>>recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy
    >>>a
    >>>hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off
    >>>the
    >>>hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can
    >>>see a
    >>>number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i
    >>>kept all
    >>>my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and
    >>>the
    >>>folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop
    >>>through all
    >>>users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course
    >>>any of
    >>>the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to
    >>>finally
    >>>access it?

    >>
    >>You'll need to be logged into an administrator account to see the
    >>files as they are owned by a different user (you, on the old
    >>computer.)
    >>
    >>In the future, make backups--hard drives have the distressing habit of
    >>not giving any warning before they die.

    >
    > Oh I did. From the time when we used little floppy disks, and I never
    > had
    > any problems except when a disk would screw up. But I kept several copies,
    > so it
    > was never a big deal. Then came thumb drives, and I thought that was
    > awesome.
    > Still do actually...they are... But also then came whateverthefuck Windows
    > did
    > to make it so documents you made with older Wordpad versions, get horribly
    > fucked up when you put them in a computer with later Wordpad versions. So
    > while
    > I was in the process of trying to understand and get over that fucking,
    > the
    > harddrive on the computer I was trying to get away from (at that time I
    > still
    > thought it was a problem with that particular computer, not a deliberate
    > fucking
    > designed and imposed by our Windows "friends"), the computer stopped
    > working.
    > Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because I not
    > only
    > had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
    > confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they
    > would
    > NOT. Good one, huh?


    Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible
    A Petro, Mar 8, 2011
    #5
  6. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <> wrote:

    >
    ><t@ter.> wrote in message news:...


    >> Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because I not
    >> only
    >> had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
    >> confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they
    >> would
    >> NOT. Good one, huh?

    >
    >Swear words are not allowed.


    you're lying, so obviously swearing and lying are both allowed.

    >Watch your language ,it is terrible


    you think it's okay for them to **** their older customers, but it's not okay
    for us to say they did. but then, you think it's ethically superior to lie than
    to swear and tell the truth. i won't live to see it but my hope is that
    eventually humans will move beyond caring about swear words. it is NOT the
    people who use them that are the problem. it's the people who think it's their
    fucking business how someone else describes the shit they're talking about. i
    don't give a **** how you describe your own fuckings, so you shouldn't give a
    **** how i describe mine. from your pov you think i'm the problem because you
    think i should accept you as superior and do what you want me to do. from by pov
    you're the problem because i don't consider it to be anyone else's business in
    unmoderated groups AND i consider those of you who think it is your business to
    be the problem. to come into an unmoderated group and try to moderate it like
    you do is about as egotistically rude as you can go, isn't it?
    t@ter., Mar 8, 2011
    #6
  7. On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <>
    wrote:

    >Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible


    This isn't a moderated group.
    Loren Pechtel, Mar 10, 2011
    #7
  8. Loren Pechtel

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible

    >
    >This isn't a moderated group.

    No it isnt, but you have to either be very simple minded or a 16-25 year old
    to always want to speak that way.
    GMAN, Mar 10, 2011
    #8
  9. On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:12:30 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <>, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible

    >>
    >>This isn't a moderated group.

    >No it isnt, but you have to either be very simple minded or a 16-25 year old
    >to always want to speak that way.


    I don't normally use profanity. However, he said "not allowed"--that
    implies there's some source doing the allowing.
    Loren Pechtel, Mar 11, 2011
    #9
  10. Loren Pechtel

    John Guest

    On Mar 8, 9:18 pm, t@ter. wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <> wrote:
    >
    > ><t@ter.> wrote in messagenews:....
    > >> Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because Inot
    > >> only
    > >> had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
    > >> confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they
    > >> would
    > >> NOT. Good one, huh?

    >
    > >Swear words are not allowed.

    >
    > you're lying, so obviously swearing and lying are both allowed.
    >
    > >Watch your language ,it is terrible

    >
    > you think it's okay for them to **** their older customers, but it's not okay
    > for us to say they did. but then, you think it's ethically superior to lie than
    > to swear and tell the truth. i won't live to see it but my hope is that
    > eventually humans will move beyond caring about swear words. it is NOT the
    > people who use them that are the problem. it's the people who think it's their
    > fucking business how someone else describes the shit they're talking about. i
    > don't give a **** how you describe your own fuckings, so you shouldn't give a
    > **** how i describe mine. from your pov you think i'm the problem becauseyou
    > think i should accept you as superior and do what you want me to do. fromby pov
    > you're the problem because i don't consider it to be anyone else's business in
    > unmoderated groups AND i consider those of you who think it is your business to
    > be the problem. to come into an unmoderated group and try to moderate it like
    > you do is about as egotistically rude as you can go, isn't it?


    Paul has given you the advice you need. Either go that route or use
    the hard drive you backed up your data to before your problems and
    copy them back to where you need them.
    John, Mar 11, 2011
    #10
  11. Loren Pechtel

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:12:30 GMT,
    >(GMAN) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Loren Pechtel

    > <> wrote:
    >>>On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible
    >>>
    >>>This isn't a moderated group.

    >>No it isnt, but you have to either be very simple minded or a 16-25 year old
    >>to always want to speak that way.

    >
    >I don't normally use profanity. However, he said "not allowed"--that
    >implies there's some source doing the allowing.

    True, I was just trying to insult the baggy pants 16-25 crowd LOL!
    GMAN, Mar 11, 2011
    #11
  12. Loren Pechtel

    John Doe Guest

    t ter. wrote:

    > there are some people if you told them that a nigger killed his
    > parents then raped and killed his little sisters, the worst
    > thing about all of it to some people would be that you referred
    > to the guy as a nigger


    Too true.
    John Doe, Mar 14, 2011
    #12
  13. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:12:30 GMT, (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <>, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible

    >>
    >>This isn't a moderated group.

    >No it isnt, but you have to either be very simple minded or a 16-25 year old
    >to always want to speak that way.


    i avoid unmoderated groups so people can when they want to. imo microsoft fucked
    their customers by making it so later versions of wordpad fucks up documents
    made on earlier versions. it's not like they didn't know it was going to happen
    before they sold a few millions machines that do it, so they have fucked us and
    we should feel no obligation to be nice about it. quite the contrary in fact.

    there are some people if you told them that a nigger killed his parents then
    raped and killed his little sisters, the worst thing about all of it to some
    people would be that you referred to the guy as a nigger. not all black people
    are niggers to be sure, but a guy who kills his parents then rapes and kills his
    little sisters fits that catagory. the point is that the point gets lost when
    people start worrying about how you refer to things that suck, and then the
    subject gets changed and the whole thing just goes to shit. so i generally stay
    away from moderated groups, but even so....
    t@ter., Mar 14, 2011
    #13
  14. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:12:01 -0800 (PST), John <> wrote:

    >On Mar 8, 9:18 pm, t@ter. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> ><t@ter.> wrote in messagenews:...
    >> >> Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because I not
    >> >> only
    >> >> had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
    >> >> confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they
    >> >> would
    >> >> NOT. Good one, huh?

    >>
    >> >Swear words are not allowed.

    >>
    >> you're lying, so obviously swearing and lying are both allowed.
    >>
    >> >Watch your language ,it is terrible

    >>
    >> you think it's okay for them to **** their older customers, but it's not okay
    >> for us to say they did. but then, you think it's ethically superior to lie than
    >> to swear and tell the truth. i won't live to see it but my hope is that
    >> eventually humans will move beyond caring about swear words. it is NOT the
    >> people who use them that are the problem. it's the people who think it's their
    >> fucking business how someone else describes the shit they're talking about. i
    >> don't give a **** how you describe your own fuckings, so you shouldn't give a
    >> **** how i describe mine. from your pov you think i'm the problem because you
    >> think i should accept you as superior and do what you want me to do. from by pov
    >> you're the problem because i don't consider it to be anyone else's business in
    >> unmoderated groups AND i consider those of you who think it is your business to
    >> be the problem. to come into an unmoderated group and try to moderate it like
    >> you do is about as egotistically rude as you can go, isn't it?

    >
    >Paul has given you the advice you need.


    thank you paul.

    >Either go that route or use
    >the hard drive you backed up your data to before your problems and
    >copy them back to where you need them.


    i put them on thumb drives, not a hard drive, but i still have most of them.
    that's a different problem and the one i was swearing about, but the problem
    became nothing and the swearing became everything. i resent that, but that's how
    it often turns out when people try to take moderating into their own hands.
    t@ter., Mar 14, 2011
    #14
  15. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 22:32:33 -0500, Paul <> wrote:

    >t@ter. wrote:
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >> hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >> hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    >> number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    >> my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >> folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    >> users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    >> the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >> access it?

    >
    >A search term for this is "take ownership".
    >There is an example answer here.
    >
    >"How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"
    >
    >http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229210112AA8aOIB
    >
    > Paul


    thank you for the link. it says:

    "What you should do is open up "My computer" on vista. Right click the drive you
    are trying to access (the one in the Dynex enclosure). Click "Sharing and
    Security" - Click Security Tab - Click Advance - Click Owner Tab. Highlight your
    information and check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" - Click Ok."

    but from "Sharing and Security" there is no Security Tab. clicking the Sharing
    Tab give the options:

    Local sharing and security
    To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it
    to the Shared Documents folder.

    and:

    Network sharing and security

    it gives the option of running a Network Setup Wizard or sharing files without
    running the wizard. chosing not to run the wizard brings up a warning that it
    will make the computer vulnerable to the internet and again gives the option of
    using the wizard or just enable file sharing. is that even the stuff i'm looking
    for, or do i need to find that Security Tab?
    t@ter., Mar 15, 2011
    #15
  16. Loren Pechtel

    Paul Guest

    t@ter. wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 22:32:33 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> t@ter. wrote:
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >>> hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >>> hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    >>> number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    >>> my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >>> folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    >>> users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    >>> the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >>> access it?

    >> A search term for this is "take ownership".
    >> There is an example answer here.
    >>
    >> "How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"
    >>
    >> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229210112AA8aOIB
    >>
    >> Paul

    >
    > thank you for the link. it says:
    >
    > "What you should do is open up "My computer" on vista. Right click the drive you
    > are trying to access (the one in the Dynex enclosure). Click "Sharing and
    > Security" - Click Security Tab - Click Advance - Click Owner Tab. Highlight your
    > information and check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" - Click Ok."
    >
    > but from "Sharing and Security" there is no Security Tab. clicking the Sharing
    > Tab give the options:
    >
    > Local sharing and security
    > To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it
    > to the Shared Documents folder.
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Network sharing and security
    >
    > it gives the option of running a Network Setup Wizard or sharing files without
    > running the wizard. chosing not to run the wizard brings up a warning that it
    > will make the computer vulnerable to the internet and again gives the option of
    > using the wizard or just enable file sharing. is that even the stuff i'm looking
    > for, or do i need to find that Security Tab?
    >


    This page is a little slow to render, but it includes pictures.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html

    Right click drive, do "Properties".

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ba3c.jpg

    A smaller dialog should appear, with the traditional "Pie Chart" graphic.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ce51.jpg

    There is a security tab at the top. Give that a try.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13e251.jpg

    It's Microsoft. It's meant to be hard to find. That's the nature
    of "innovation in GUIs".

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 15, 2011
    #16
  17. Loren Pechtel

    Paul Guest

    t@ter. wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:14:19 -0400, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> t@ter. wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 22:32:33 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> t@ter. wrote:
    >>>>> hi,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >>>>> hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >>>>> hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    >>>>> number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    >>>>> my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >>>>> folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    >>>>> users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    >>>>> the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >>>>> access it?
    >>>> A search term for this is "take ownership".
    >>>> There is an example answer here.
    >>>>
    >>>> "How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"
    >>>>
    >>>> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229210112AA8aOIB
    >>>>
    >>>> Paul
    >>> thank you for the link. it says:
    >>>
    >>> "What you should do is open up "My computer" on vista. Right click the drive you
    >>> are trying to access (the one in the Dynex enclosure). Click "Sharing and
    >>> Security" - Click Security Tab - Click Advance - Click Owner Tab. Highlight your
    >>> information and check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" - Click Ok."
    >>>
    >>> but from "Sharing and Security" there is no Security Tab. clicking the Sharing
    >>> Tab give the options:
    >>>
    >>> Local sharing and security
    >>> To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it
    >>> to the Shared Documents folder.
    >>>
    >>> and:
    >>>
    >>> Network sharing and security
    >>>
    >>> it gives the option of running a Network Setup Wizard or sharing files without
    >>> running the wizard. chosing not to run the wizard brings up a warning that it
    >>> will make the computer vulnerable to the internet and again gives the option of
    >>> using the wizard or just enable file sharing. is that even the stuff i'm looking
    >>> for, or do i need to find that Security Tab?
    >>>

    >> This page is a little slow to render, but it includes pictures.
    >>
    >> http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html
    >>
    >> Right click drive, do "Properties".
    >>
    >> http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ba3c.jpg
    >>
    >> A smaller dialog should appear, with the traditional "Pie Chart" graphic.
    >>
    >> http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ce51.jpg
    >>
    >> There is a security tab at the top. Give that a try.
    >>
    >> http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13e251.jpg
    >>
    >> It's Microsoft. It's meant to be hard to find. That's the nature
    >> of "innovation in GUIs".

    >
    > thank you again! there was no security tab, so i went back and did what i had
    > done before and finally got to the check boxes: Share this folder on the network
    > and: Allow network users to change my files, checked both of them and hit okay.
    > the computer acted like it was doing stuff for a few seconds. so i went to My
    > Computer and opened that hard drive, opened Windows, then explorer, then the
    > desktop. but it didn't open the desktop of the drive in the encloser that i'm
    > trying to open, it opened the one on the computer i'm trying to open it with. so
    > now what???


    It's possible we're talking about different things.

    The information in the above links, should be giving
    you local access to the files. That means, you plug in a
    USB enclosure hard drive into your current computer, you
    "Take Ownership" and then all the files should be
    accessible on that computer.

    Enabling sharing, so users on *other* computers on your
    home LAN can use the hard drive, is a separate issue. There
    may well be a "Share this folder on the network", but the
    intention of such a setting, is to allow another computer,
    far distant from the local computer with its connected USB
    hard drive, to gain access.

    If you do the Take Ownership thing, then the idea is, you
    get basic access to the files. I would verify all my files
    are still there, before becoming more ambitious.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 15, 2011
    #17
  18. Loren Pechtel

    t@ter. Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:14:19 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

    >t@ter. wrote:
    >> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 22:32:33 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> t@ter. wrote:
    >>>> hi,
    >>>>
    >>>> recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >>>> hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >>>> hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    >>>> number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    >>>> my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >>>> folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    >>>> users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    >>>> the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >>>> access it?
    >>> A search term for this is "take ownership".
    >>> There is an example answer here.
    >>>
    >>> "How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"
    >>>
    >>> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229210112AA8aOIB
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >>
    >> thank you for the link. it says:
    >>
    >> "What you should do is open up "My computer" on vista. Right click the drive you
    >> are trying to access (the one in the Dynex enclosure). Click "Sharing and
    >> Security" - Click Security Tab - Click Advance - Click Owner Tab. Highlight your
    >> information and check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" - Click Ok."
    >>
    >> but from "Sharing and Security" there is no Security Tab. clicking the Sharing
    >> Tab give the options:
    >>
    >> Local sharing and security
    >> To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it
    >> to the Shared Documents folder.
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Network sharing and security
    >>
    >> it gives the option of running a Network Setup Wizard or sharing files without
    >> running the wizard. chosing not to run the wizard brings up a warning that it
    >> will make the computer vulnerable to the internet and again gives the option of
    >> using the wizard or just enable file sharing. is that even the stuff i'm looking
    >> for, or do i need to find that Security Tab?
    >>

    >
    >This page is a little slow to render, but it includes pictures.
    >
    >http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html
    >
    >Right click drive, do "Properties".
    >
    >http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ba3c.jpg
    >
    >A smaller dialog should appear, with the traditional "Pie Chart" graphic.
    >
    >http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ce51.jpg
    >
    >There is a security tab at the top. Give that a try.
    >
    >http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13e251.jpg
    >
    >It's Microsoft. It's meant to be hard to find. That's the nature
    >of "innovation in GUIs".


    thank you again! there was no security tab, so i went back and did what i had
    done before and finally got to the check boxes: Share this folder on the network
    and: Allow network users to change my files, checked both of them and hit okay.
    the computer acted like it was doing stuff for a few seconds. so i went to My
    Computer and opened that hard drive, opened Windows, then explorer, then the
    desktop. but it didn't open the desktop of the drive in the encloser that i'm
    trying to open, it opened the one on the computer i'm trying to open it with. so
    now what???
    t@ter., Mar 15, 2011
    #18
  19. Loren Pechtel

    Kele Guest

    Re: Now What?

    Here's a "Take Ownership to your context menu" program for Vista - I think
    you're on Vista, right?
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html
    If that's not your OS, Google "take ownership context menu"; there's lots.
    I use in Win7 - works!

    I don't think that's your problem... Folder on the desktop is probably what
    started the problem... desktops aren't a good place to store files. I was
    thinking along the lines of viewing your old hard drive with "Show hidden
    folders" activated. That would be an easy first test. You are trying to
    find your folder/files via the Windows Explorer... How about other views,
    ie: My Computer/Dive letter. Have you tried all these?

    If you see something that appears to be your desired stuff; right click copy
    the whole thing, paste to your current computer and try open/view from
    there... Try doing a search on the old drive for a file name you remember...
    does it find anything? If so, check that found item's path and get to the
    folder that way. I'd even try using another program to view files, like
    WinRAR... Not that I want to pack files, but WinRAR shows many files that
    aren't visible in Windows Explorer. Whatchu figa?

    Excuse, I didn't read good all the prior threads this topic... in case your
    already covered all this.






    -----------
    <t@ter.> wrote:

    hi,

    recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can
    see a
    number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept
    all
    my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through
    all
    users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any
    of
    the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    access it?
    Kele, Mar 16, 2011
    #19
  20. Loren Pechtel

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, gone-fishing@no_INVALID_.net wrote:
    >On 03/06/2011 11:35 PM, t@ter. wrote:
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    >> hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    >> hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see

    > a
    >> number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept

    > all
    >> my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    >> folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through

    > all
    >> users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any

    > of
    >> the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    >> access it?

    >
    >Depends on how important the stuff you lost was. If very important then
    >I would suggest you take it to someone who knows something (preferably
    >but not exclusively linux) and make a copy of the old disk as is before
    >everything on it becomes unrecoverable.
    >
    >Then there will be many ways to try to recover what seems to be missing.
    >At least a small linux installation can give windows users a dynamite
    >supervisory tool that wasn't made by MS ;-)
    >
    >For example, even without installing linux you can boot a typical linux
    >so called live-cd and have unrestricted access to all parts of all
    >drives plugged into the motherboard. It's a very simple matter of
    >mounting the suspect media and looking it up in a file manager.
    >
    >Find a friend who can do that for/with you, it'll be over in 5 minutes.
    >

    This is of course for the original poster, look instead for the desktop folder
    under the profile name you had been using, not the one called ALL USERS .
    GMAN, Mar 25, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. bigal

    How do you attach this thingy?

    bigal, Mar 21, 2006, in forum: Hardware
    Replies:
    46
    Views:
    3,002
    The Modfather
    Apr 7, 2006
  2. P.J.

    remove windows startup logo thingy

    P.J., Oct 17, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,478
    Shep©
    Oct 17, 2003
  3. susan cook

    desktop thingy again

    susan cook, Jan 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    406
    Ozzie Shrink
    Jan 12, 2004
  4. www.alanpark.co.uk

    Help needed with a photo CD thingy!

    www.alanpark.co.uk, Oct 13, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    379
    bryan
    Oct 13, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page