Help with graphics drivers / card on new install.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lee, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi,
    My son forgot his administrator password on our home computer so we
    decided to go for a clean reinstall using Win 2k instead of Win XP (my
    personal preference)
    I formatted the HDD through the bios and installed win 2k. The problem
    now is the screen size is large, everything is big and in your face,
    plus pictures appear dull, fuzzy and very poor quality like old
    newspaper print. I tried to change the screen resolution but it only
    offers me 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 (which sends the screen all fuzzy)
    When I do dxdiag to see the graphics card type there is nothing listed
    but it says VGA against one line.
    I think the lack of graphics could also be causing an error on certain
    websites as well, when the page loads, I get "iexplorer.exe has
    caused and error and will now close, an error log is being created"

    The computer is a Packard bell about 2 years old, at the moment
    that's all I can tell you until I get home and fiddle with it some
    more. The monitor is a TFT unbranded one that came bundled with the PC.
    We don't have the original installation CDs or anything to help us so
    I'm hoping someone on here can offer suggestions for when I get home
    later. I have brought my usb stick in in case I need to transfer files
    to home as well.

    Thanks
    Lee
    Lee, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Lee

    Ingeborg Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My son forgot his administrator password on our home computer so we
    > decided to go for a clean reinstall using Win 2k instead of Win XP (my
    > personal preference)
    > I formatted the HDD through the bios and installed win 2k. The problem
    > now is the screen size is large, everything is big and in your face,
    > plus pictures appear dull, fuzzy and very poor quality like old
    > newspaper print. I tried to change the screen resolution but it only
    > offers me 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 (which sends the screen all fuzzy)
    > When I do dxdiag to see the graphics card type there is nothing listed
    > but it says VGA against one line.
    > I think the lack of graphics could also be causing an error on certain
    > websites as well, when the page loads, I get "iexplorer.exe has
    > caused and error and will now close, an error log is being created"
    >
    > The computer is a Packard bell about 2 years old, at the moment
    > that's all I can tell you until I get home and fiddle with it some
    > more. The monitor is a TFT unbranded one that came bundled with the PC.
    > We don't have the original installation CDs or anything to help us so
    > I'm hoping someone on here can offer suggestions for when I get home
    > later. I have brought my usb stick in in case I need to transfer files
    > to home as well.

    Download Everest <http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=everesthome>
    which can tell you which videocard you own. Then search the web for
    drivers. If IE is not stable you can download Opera <http://www.opera.com/>
    which is a better browser anyway.
    Ingeborg, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Lee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My son forgot his administrator password on our home computer so we
    > decided to go for a clean reinstall using Win 2k instead of Win XP (my
    > personal preference)
    > I formatted the HDD through the bios and installed win 2k. The problem
    > now is the screen size is large, everything is big and in your face,
    > plus pictures appear dull, fuzzy and very poor quality like old
    > newspaper print. I tried to change the screen resolution but it only
    > offers me 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 (which sends the screen all fuzzy)
    > When I do dxdiag to see the graphics card type there is nothing listed
    > but it says VGA against one line.
    > I think the lack of graphics could also be causing an error on certain
    > websites as well, when the page loads, I get "iexplorer.exe has
    > caused and error and will now close, an error log is being created"
    >
    > The computer is a Packard bell about 2 years old, at the moment
    > that's all I can tell you until I get home and fiddle with it some
    > more. The monitor is a TFT unbranded one that came bundled with the PC.
    > We don't have the original installation CDs or anything to help us so
    > I'm hoping someone on here can offer suggestions for when I get home
    > later. I have brought my usb stick in in case I need to transfer files
    > to home as well.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lee

    Find the Part number and Serial number of your machine.
    Go to http://www.packardbell.com/ and click on "Support" select your
    country, enter your part or serial number.

    When you've got the drivers required: 'Burn them to CD' don't throw away.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Lee

    ProfGene Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My son forgot his administrator password on our home computer so we
    > decided to go for a clean reinstall using Win 2k instead of Win XP (my
    > personal preference)
    > I formatted the HDD through the bios and installed win 2k. The problem
    > now is the screen size is large, everything is big and in your face,
    > plus pictures appear dull, fuzzy and very poor quality like old
    > newspaper print. I tried to change the screen resolution but it only
    > offers me 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 (which sends the screen all fuzzy)
    > When I do dxdiag to see the graphics card type there is nothing listed
    > but it says VGA against one line.
    > I think the lack of graphics could also be causing an error on certain
    > websites as well, when the page loads, I get "iexplorer.exe has
    > caused and error and will now close, an error log is being created"
    >
    > The computer is a Packard bell about 2 years old, at the moment
    > that's all I can tell you until I get home and fiddle with it some
    > more. The monitor is a TFT unbranded one that came bundled with the PC.
    > We don't have the original installation CDs or anything to help us so
    > I'm hoping someone on here can offer suggestions for when I get home
    > later. I have brought my usb stick in in case I need to transfer files
    > to home as well.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lee

    You have to identify the graphics card either by looking up the model fo
    the computer and chekcing the specs or opoening up the case and looking
    at the graphics card to determine what it is. What you need are the
    current drivers fot the graphics card for that operating system which
    you can get from the Graphics cards site or the Packard Bell site if you
    know what the graphics card is then go to device manager and click on
    the graphics card and say update drivers which should open a driver
    installing dialog.
    ProfGene, Nov 24, 2006