    sod that... can anyone get that html link to work or direct me
    to some idiot proof guide...
    (really enjoying my first build !.coffee/fag/coffee/fag/coffee./...)

    gooch, Jan 17, 2005

  2. gooch

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:14:43 +0000 (UTC), gooch wrote:

    >fitting a sempron 2600 onto a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ mobo..
    >Gigabyte's site has a bios download available to support
    > sempron processors... I 've downloaded the file
    > but the instructions on how to install the update (an html
    > page) is mostly question marks... jibberish...

    That's a nice way to describe another language.

    > the page that offers the link is
    >http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_7VM400M-RZ.htm

    which you are point out is the one just above the table - How to
    reflash M/B BIOS?
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/HowToReflash_1.htm
    which is also in English.

    HTML to TXT of the previous URI

    GIGABYTE - How To Reflash MB BIOS?

    Home > Support > Motherboard > BIOS > How to reflash MB BIOS

    About updating BIOS...
    The whole BIOS updating procedure should be treated with extreme
    caution. If you do not encounter any system instability or bugs with the
    current BIOS version, we suggest that you keep it. If you determine to
    flash BIOS, you are taking a personal risk of BIOS flash failure. Please
    contact your supplier or our distributors/resellers for further remedy
    in case system crashes unfortunately because of BIOS flash failure.

    Before you begin...

    1. Please make sure the BIOS version you want to flash matches your
    motherboard model.
    2. If your BIOS is flash protected, please do not enable BIOS Flash
    Protection under Advanced CMOS Setup (AMI BIOS) or Advanced BIOS
    Features (AWARD BIOS) in BIOS menu.
    3. Never interrupt when you BIOS is being updated.

    Three BIOS Flash Utilities...
    We provide three BIOS flash utilities at our website. Below are the
    overviews.
    1 :
    A BIOS flash utility embedded in Flash ROM. Not all motherboards
    have the Q-Flash™, please use @BIOS™ or DOS flash utility to
    update BIOS if your motherboard does not have Q-Flash™.

    Features-- With this utility, you only have to stay in the BIOS menu
    when you want to update BIOS. No need to enter DOS or O.S. mode.
    Caution-- Make sure you have a functional floppy disk with the
    correct BIOS version for your motherboard.

    Download PDF User Guide
    2 :
    A Windows-based BIOS live update utility.

    Features-- @BIOS™ helps you search for, download, and then
    update the latest BIOS in Windows operating system.
    Caution-- Make sure your O.S. environment is stable.

    Download PDF User Guide
    3 : DOS Flash utility

    Features-- The flash utility is a combination of AMI and AWARD BIOS
    flash utility. You can use it with both AMI and AWARD BIOS.
    Caution-- Make sure you have a functional DOS boot disk with the
    correct BIOS version for your motherboard.

    Download PDF User Guide

    You will need to view these PDF files with Acrobat Reader.

    ======== end of paste============

    Maybe you mean it's one of the PDF files you downloaded?

    I have always likes the DOS method, a simple boot disk with the BIOS and
    Flash utility.

    >I've never done this before and i'd rather use their instructions..I
    >found another site with vague instructions on how to do it but
    > sod that... can anyone get that html link to work or direct me
    > to some idiot proof guide...
    >(really enjoying my first build !.coffee/fag/coffee/fag/coffee./...)

    Me

    why?, Jan 17, 2005

  3. gooch

    gooch Guest

    ok... managed to get the html page up and think i'll use '@bios' i got
    with the mobo to effect the update..
    but will my new system boot with the bios it has since it doesn't
    support the sempron ?

    gooch, Jan 17, 2005
  4. gooch

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:47:58 +0000 (UTC), gooch wrote:

    >ok... managed to get the html page up and think i'll use '@bios' i got
    >with the mobo to effect the update..

    Read the PDF carefully, for some daft reason the BIOS is downloaded off
    the internet, then you are asked to update while connected to the
    internet you can't loose connection at this point or it's a dead system.

    >but will my new system boot with the bios it has since it doesn't
    >support the sempron ?

    I would boot using the current CPU, upgrade the BIOS to get Sempron
    support then upgrade the CPU.

    Me

    why?, Jan 17, 2005
  5. gooch

    Billy Guest

    "gooch" <> wrote in message
    > ok... managed to get the html page up and think i'll use '@bios' i got
    > with the mobo to effect the update..
    > but will my new system boot with the bios it has since it doesn't
    > support the sempron ?

    How do you know which BIOS you currently have? Rev 4 should have Sempron
    support.

    If you can get that far you can flash the BIOS.
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/pdf/flashbios_dos.pdf

    Billy, Jan 18, 2005