help with file transfer to laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JC, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. JC

    JC Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I'm hoping someone can help me out of a jam I got myself into!

    Long story short, I have an old IBM Thinkpad 380XD, 233 Pentium, that I had
    the grand idea to try WinXP on. It ran so slowly that I decided to go back
    to Win95 (planning to later update to W98SE). I use this laptop only for
    wireless web browsing in my house.

    After some work to get the drive back to FAT32, I now have Win95 up and
    running. Trouble is my CD drive just died. My wireless card (D-Link DWL
    650) has no Win95 driver. My USB card reader has no Win95 driver.

    Questions;

    1. Is there a "generic" Win95 USB mass storage driver I might be able to
    use to get the card reader (and card) up and going? I could then transfer
    files that way to install Win98 and get my wireless working.

    2. Is there any way to get my wireless adapter to work with Win95? D-Link
    doesn't support that.

    3. Is there any other way to cheaply transfer files from my desktop to this
    laptop? This computer really isn't worth a new CD drive, if you ask me.

    Thanks in advance!
    JC, Dec 7, 2005

  2. JC

    G.Smith Guest

    You can get a cd for this on ebay for $10.00, doesn't that laptop have a
    built in floppy drive?

    G.Smith, Dec 7, 2005

  3. JC

    Spajky Guest

    mount w98seLite instead of w95; consult www.litepc.com

    >After some work to get the drive back to FAT32, I now have Win95 up and
    >running. Trouble is my CD drive just died. My wireless card (D-Link DWL
    >650) has no Win95 driver. My USB card reader has no Win95 driver.

    >1. Is there a "generic" Win95 USB mass storage driver I might be able to
    >use to get the card reader (and card) up and going? I could then transfer
    >files that way to install Win98 and get my wireless working.

    easier to buy a refurbished CD rom for that laptop ...

    >3. Is there any other way to cheaply transfer files from my desktop to this
    >laptop? This computer really isn't worth a new CD drive, if you ask me.

    if you do not have inside a laptop a LAN possibility,
    get a LPT data cable (so called Laplink one-bidirectional PC-2-PC) &
    connect both PCs together & install DDC in both windows if not
    installed; on newer one should be as set server & on the laptop as
    slave/client .. Than just copy files from main PC CDrom CD with
    98setup to a WinSET folder on laptop (will take some time, few hours!
    watch a movie on TV meanwhile :) ; than you can do setup from
    w98bootFD [before rename file Win.com & than other older folders too,
    except that WinSET, so you could do a fresh install of an OS !]

    Than when it works flawlesly, go to :
    http://users.volja.net/image/Files/ResQsys.htm :)
    & use that for backing up your sistem ... later burn compressed backup
    to a CDr transfered again to your main PC with burner by that LPT
    cable .. :)

    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com