Help With Epson Scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jim evans, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. jim evans

    jim evans Guest

    Since I got no replies the first time, I'm reposting this with a
    different subject.

    I have an Epson1200 scanner and Epson Twain 5.53A.

    The Twain doesn't seem to have a histogram, and I can't figure out how
    to set the controls so I get the entire range of luminosity, but
    spread out across the entire range of 0-255. If I understand the
    available controls, they have a way to set the upper and lower (black
    & white) cutoffs, but they're arbitrarily and fixed. That is, if you
    set the lower cutoff to level 8 then if there's data below 8 it's all
    blocked up as black, thus all data below 8 becomes 0 on the image it
    returns. On the other hand if the first value on the low end begins
    at 125 the returned image contains the empty area from 8 to 125. This
    reduces the possible shades of gray it could have returned (the
    luminosity range) by 45%.

    My question is:
    How do I get ALL of the tones available in the image, but spread
    across the entire 255 range?

    I can set the cutoffs to 0 & 255. Scan the image into PS. Determine
    the lower and upper end points of data. Go back into the scanner, set
    these cutoff and rescan the image, but what a PITA.

    jim
    jim evans, Dec 29, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Since I got no replies the first time, I'm reposting this with a
    > different subject.
    >
    > I have an Epson1200 scanner and Epson Twain 5.53A.
    >
    > The Twain doesn't seem to have a histogram, and I can't figure out how
    > to set the controls so I get the entire range of luminosity, but
    > spread out across the entire range of 0-255. If I understand the
    > available controls, they have a way to set the upper and lower (black
    > & white) cutoffs, but they're arbitrarily and fixed. That is, if you
    > set the lower cutoff to level 8 then if there's data below 8 it's all
    > blocked up as black, thus all data below 8 becomes 0 on the image it
    > returns. On the other hand if the first value on the low end begins
    > at 125 the returned image contains the empty area from 8 to 125. This
    > reduces the possible shades of gray it could have returned (the
    > luminosity range) by 45%.
    >
    > My question is:
    > How do I get ALL of the tones available in the image, but spread
    > across the entire 255 range?
    >
    > I can set the cutoffs to 0 & 255. Scan the image into PS. Determine
    > the lower and upper end points of data. Go back into the scanner, set
    > these cutoff and rescan the image, but what a PITA.
    >
    > jim

    Epson supplied software does a poor job of capturing the full range of
    tones. Download a trial copy of vuescan from hamrick.com and see if
    you like it better, it's shareware.
    You can also read some of my scanning tips on my web site. Just follow
    the tips link on the home page.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com