Help with disabling Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mort, May 10, 2005.

  1. mort

    mort Guest

    IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
    pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
    running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
    always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
    here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
    suggestions - Thanks

    Chuck
     
    mort, May 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mort

    Robert Baer Guest

    mort wrote:
    > IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
    > pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
    > running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
    > always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
    > here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
    > suggestions - Thanks
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    >

    At least you can remove IE; some of the other OSes does not allow that.
    Granted that it is not listed as a registered program.
    So, find and *double check* that you have the folder for IE and
    delete the damn thing, clear the "recycle bin" and then defrag.
    I have been runnig Win98SE for many years that way.
    Nice and peaceful.
    If you have Win2K you cannot do tha; it pops back; even registry
    editing cannot get rid of that virus called Internet Explorer (it is
    real nasty).
    BUT there are other ways of dealing with the mess, that you can also
    use in other GUIs that also give added protection.
    Use a long-winded HOSTS file; I modified the one available from the
    website, and include a copy of the modified header only:
    # How this works: this file is checked first for entries in a web page
    that
    # are the same as in the second column. The computer then goes to the
    location
    # in the first column. Since 127.0.0.1 is the local host (the location
    of your
    # computer) and the file is not located, it skips to the next (file)
    entry in
    # the web page. This blocks such requests in the web page.
    # ** notes:
    # 1) The name of the file *must* be in all caps for it to work.
    # Added: It makes *no* visible difference. R.Baer Oct 2, 2004
    # 2) It is a good idea to mark it as readonly and have a copy (eg:
    hosts.bak)
    # 3) Hosts file is in K:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    ##added here, not in my file: LOCATION OF HOSTS FILE DEPENDS ON OS##

    127.0.0.1 localhost # "must" be first

    127.0.0.1 pop3.norton.antivirus # norton antivirus for e-mail
    scanning
    127.0.0.1 pop3.spa.norton.antivirus # norton antivirus for e-mail
    scanning
    127.0.0.1 downloads-eu1.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
    127.0.0.1 downloads2.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
    127.0.0.1 downloads4.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
    127.0.0.1 downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
    127.0.0.1 downloads-us1.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav

    # everything below is from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
    # entries marked with parasite or trojan comments should
    # be placed in the internet explorer restricted zone.
    # http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
    # entries with other comments are searchable via google.

    # [add-ons from brown pop-up boxes seen when using internet explorer]
    # some of these may also have an invasive payload.
    # not all of these stop that junk
    # *Note: disabling the following Services will help: Messenger, Alerter
     
    Robert Baer, May 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mort

    JANA Guest

    Your system probably has an adware Trojan. You should download Spybot, and
    Adaware SE to start with, update them, and then do a full system scan to see
    if you can find and get rid of the adwares. This is a common problem.

    --

    JANA
    _____


    "mort" <> wrote in message
    news:_YZfe.354$...
    IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
    pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
    running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
    always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
    here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
    suggestions - Thanks

    Chuck
     
    JANA, May 10, 2005
    #3
  4. mort

    WebWalker Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 08:07:22 GMT, "mort" <> wrote:

    >IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
    >pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
    >running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
    >always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
    >here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
    >suggestions - Thanks


    Your IE was hijacked (spyware) and quit unfortunate is that even you
    have change to other browser, the pop-up is still come back.

    Use Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and Microsoft Antispyware to
    clear them away.

    --
    WebWalker
     
    WebWalker, May 10, 2005
    #4
  5. mort wrote:
    > IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
    > constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
    > though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the
    > title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then "Warning"
    > I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly appreciate any help
    > with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
    >
    > Chuck


    Also use Spyware Blaster. Enable all protection.
    Use Spybot's resident "teatimer".
    Use a popup stopper. MSN+Google have a toolbar that includes a stopper.
    MS anti-spyware doesn't work with 98. See my site for more tips
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    -max

    --
    Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
    You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
    This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
     
    What's in a Name?, May 10, 2005
    #5
  6. mort

    WebWalker Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:14:44 -0400, "What's in a Name?"
    <> wrote:

    >mort wrote:
    >> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
    >> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
    >> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the
    >> title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then "Warning"
    >> I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly appreciate any help
    >> with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
    >>
    >> Chuck

    >
    >Also use Spyware Blaster. Enable all protection.
    >Use Spybot's resident "teatimer".
    >Use a popup stopper. MSN+Google have a toolbar that includes a stopper.
    >MS anti-spyware doesn't work with 98. See my site for more tips
    >http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    >-max


    Yes, the MS anitspyware don't works in Win98.
    I found MS anitspyware is very excellent to remove browser hijacked
    spyware in Win XP but I can't find anything that has similar capacity
    for Win98.
    Any good suggestions?

    --
    WebWalker
     
    WebWalker, May 11, 2005
    #6
  7. mort

    haphzrd Guest

    In alt.computer mort <> wrote:
    > IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
    > pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
    > running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
    > always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
    > here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
    > suggestions - Thanks
    >
    > Chuck


    When I used to run Windows (98), I found a program called "IEradicator" which
    eliminates every trace of Internet Explorer from your system. IE is heavily
    integrated into Win98, and this script makes the process painless.

    http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

    After you remove IE, I would follow the good advice of others in this
    thread (especially the HOSTS file) - and install a decent firewall.

    --
    : :: : haphzrd : :: :
     
    haphzrd, May 12, 2005
    #7
  8. WebWalker wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:14:44 -0400, "What's in a Name?"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> mort wrote:
    >>> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
    >>> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
    >>> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) -
    >>> the title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then
    >>> "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly
    >>> appreciate any help with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Chuck

    >>
    >> Also use Spyware Blaster. Enable all protection.
    >> Use Spybot's resident "teatimer".
    >> Use a popup stopper. MSN+Google have a toolbar that includes a
    >> stopper. MS anti-spyware doesn't work with 98. See my site for more
    >> tips http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    >> -max

    >
    > Yes, the MS anitspyware don't works in Win98.
    > I found MS anitspyware is very excellent to remove browser hijacked
    > spyware in Win XP but I can't find anything that has similar capacity
    > for Win98.
    > Any good suggestions?



    I have some listed on my site
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
    -max
    --
    Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
    You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
    This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
     
    What's in a Name?, May 12, 2005
    #8
  9. haphzrd wrote:
    > In alt.computer mort <> wrote:
    >> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
    >> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
    >> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) -
    >> the title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then
    >> "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly
    >> appreciate any help with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
    >>
    >> Chuck

    >
    > When I used to run Windows (98), I found a program called
    > "IEradicator" which eliminates every trace of Internet Explorer from
    > your system. IE is heavily integrated into Win98, and this script
    > makes the process painless.
    >
    > http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html
    >
    > After you remove IE, I would follow the good advice of others in this
    > thread (especially the HOSTS file) - and install a decent firewall.
    >
    >>>>> haphzrd : :: :



    Some programs are dependent on IE. Avast anti-virus is one.
    -max
    --
    Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
    You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
    This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
     
    What's in a Name?, May 12, 2005
    #9
  10. mort

    haphzrd Guest

    In alt.computer What's in a Name? <> wrote:
    > Some programs are dependent on IE. Avast anti-virus is one.
    > -max


    This is absolutely true. A near complete removal (which is possible) may
    work - or you'll have to choose your software wisely.

    --
    : :: : haphzrd : :: :
     
    haphzrd, May 13, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mort

    Help with disabling Internet Explorer

    mort, May 10, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    592
    haphzrd
    May 13, 2005
  2. oldsoul
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    12,605
  3. Michael Branchfield
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    408
  4. sandy j
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    950
    sandy j
    May 2, 2009
  5. Nathan Sokalski
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    3,726
    Vjekoslav
    Feb 22, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page