    connection.

    Any help would be appreciated,

    Many thanks

    Karen, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Karen

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Tried, Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet Settings......Connection...Dial
    whenever not present, then apply?
    PS Sounds like a good health check!

    "Karen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp and since then I can no

    longer
    > connect to the internet by opening Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, I
    > now have to go into connections and do it manually. This isn't a real
    > problem but just wondered what had gone wrong. I have tried

    Tools-Internet

    MrGrumpy, Apr 12, 2005

  3. Karen

    Karen Guest

    "MrGrumpy" <> wrote in message
    > Tried, Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet
    > Settings......Connection...Dial
    > whenever not present, then apply?
    > PS Sounds like a good health check!

    Checked the whenever not present box and seemed to have worked.

    Thanks for the advice

    PS yes great health check, 2nd one I've had done, by two different companies
    and the comp always comes back with something not right, don't think I'll
    bother having it checked again.

    Karen, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Karen

    Guest Guest

    "Karen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp

    Health check? Yeah, that was clear. Did you have it turn its head and
    cough? Of course, it is always wise to conceal WHICH operating system
    you are using when asking questions about it.
    >;-)

    > and since then I can no longer connect to the internet by opening
    > Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, I now have to go into
    > connections and do it manually. This isn't a real problem but just
    > wondered what had gone wrong. I have tried Tools-Internet
    > Options-Always dial my default connection as it seems to be stuck on
    > never dial but once I have turned my comp off it goes back to never
    > dial a connection.

    Did you install some 3rd party dialing program (so when you want a
    connection, THAT dialer gets used instead of the one in Windows)? Some
    ISPs, like AOL, make you install their software to use their dialer to
    connect to their modem pool. Often the connectoid that gets created in
    Network group in the Control Panel for the 3rd party dialer is a dummy
    connectoid. It's properties are not used and the 3rd party dialer
    defines it as needed to make the connection because the dial-up number
    might change as the dialer rotates through a set of numbers that it
    tries. That means you need to configure the 3rd party dialer's
    properties.

    If you are using the Windows-supplied dialer then maybe you are infected
    (because some other dialer has been installed). Have you scanned for
    viruses and malware using a recently updated anti-virus program and by
    using Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, CWshredder, MS Antispyware, and Pest Patrol
    (their online scan is free)? Or was that the "health check" to which
    you referred? Using these tools to eradicate a pest can lead to
    problems if you don't know how to use the tools and what actions they
    commit for the eradication.

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    Guest, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Karen

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Apart from ensuring you have a decent AV app and Firewall, ensure both Win
    is updated and your Office apps.
    Also download update and run, regularly, Adaware and Spybot. - freeware
    versions
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html.
    Not much else to do, unless perhaps you visit to many p2p sites, or are
    allways 'trying' new apps.

    MrGrumpy, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Karen

    Karen Guest

    <Vanguard> wrote in message news:...
    > "Karen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp

    > Health check? Yeah, that was clear. Did you have it turn its head and
    > cough? Of course, it is always wise to conceal WHICH operating system you
    > are using when asking questions about it.
    >>;-)

    >> and since then I can no longer connect to the internet by opening Outlook
    >> Express or Internet Explorer, I now have to go into connections and do it
    >> manually. This isn't a real problem but just wondered what had gone
    >> wrong. I have tried Tools-Internet Options-Always dial my default
    >> connection as it seems to be stuck on never dial but once I have turned
    >> my comp off it goes back to never dial a connection.

    > Did you install some 3rd party dialing program (so when you want a
    > connection, THAT dialer gets used instead of the one in Windows)? Some
    > ISPs, like AOL, make you install their software to use their dialer to
    > connect to their modem pool. Often the connectoid that gets created in
    > Network group in the Control Panel for the 3rd party dialer is a dummy
    > connectoid. It's properties are not used and the 3rd party dialer defines
    > it as needed to make the connection because the dial-up number might
    > change as the dialer rotates through a set of numbers that it tries. That
    > means you need to configure the 3rd party dialer's properties.
    >
    > If you are using the Windows-supplied dialer then maybe you are infected
    > (because some other dialer has been installed). Have you scanned for
    > viruses and malware using a recently updated anti-virus program and by
    > using Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, CWshredder, MS Antispyware, and Pest Patrol
    > (their online scan is free)? Or was that the "health check" to which you
    > referred? Using these tools to eradicate a pest can lead to problems if
    > you don't know how to use the tools and what actions they commit for the
    > eradication.

    > ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    > For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    problem seems to be back again. I'm running windows xp if that helps, any
    other suggestions to my problem would be great.

    Many thanks

    Karen, Apr 12, 2005