    --
    Any day on this side of the grass is good!
    u no what 2 do 2 email me.
    RMS, Aug 29, 2005

  2. RMS

    JANA Guest

    You will have to buy your own copy of an operating system. Between ME and
    98, you are better off with 98. Apparently, 98 is no longer available.
    Actually you would be best off with XP Home Addition. To run it nicely on
    your Dell Dimension, you should upgrade the RAM to 512 mb minimum.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "RMS" <> wrote in message
    I was recently given a used Dell Demention 4100 computer. It seems to have
    only a DOS running on it. I called Dell customer service and they said I
    could get an operating system for $204.

    I was wondering if their are other 'alternative' means, maybe here on the
    net, to enable me to acquire a way to get this computer up and running.

    This machine seems to have had Win98SE with an upgrade to Windows
    Millennium according to the stickers on the side of the case.

    I got an old keyboard and mouse from the Salvation Army store and they
    work good. A 17" monitor came with the machine.

    Thanks for any help.
    RMS

    JANA, Aug 29, 2005

  3. RMS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    RMS wrote:
    > I was recently given a used Dell Demention 4100 computer. It seems to
    > have only a DOS running on it. I called Dell customer service and
    > they said I could get an operating system for $204.
    >
    > I was wondering if their are other 'alternative' means, maybe here on
    > the net, to enable me to acquire a way to get this computer up and
    > running.
    >
    > This machine seems to have had Win98SE with an upgrade to Windows
    > Millennium according to the stickers on the side of the case.
    >
    > I got an old keyboard and mouse from the Salvation Army store and they
    > work good. A 17" monitor came with the machine.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > RMS

    What is the processor speed? How much memory? Is the Service Tag ID # still
    on the case? If so, you can look up the specs at http://support.dell.com. If
    the system is capable of running XP, you can get an OEM version license for
    a really good price, just borrow a CD from a friend. (I look at OEM license
    pricing at www.pricewatch.com)

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 29, 2005
  4. RMS

    Trax Guest

    "RMS" <> wrote:

    |>I was recently given a used Dell Demention 4100 computer. It seems to have
    |>only a DOS running on it. I called Dell customer service and they said I
    |>could get an operating system for $204.
    |>
    |>I was wondering if their are other 'alternative' means, maybe here on the
    |>net, to enable me to acquire a way to get this computer up and running.
    |>
    |>This machine seems to have had Win98SE with an upgrade to Windows
    |>Millennium according to the stickers on the side of the case.
    |>
    |>I got an old keyboard and mouse from the Salvation Army store and they
    |>work good. A 17" monitor came with the machine.

    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ a linux OS

    I've got a friend who judy purchased a brand new setup and is
    installing ubuntu - he did his research and that was what he came up
    with.

    He's attempting to run nothing microsoft :} That OS suits his purpose
    it contains everything he needs.
    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/
    Trax, Aug 29, 2005
  5. RMS

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Aug 29, 2005
  6. RMS wrote:

    > I was recently given a used Dell Demention 4100 computer. It seems to have

    Is it *really* demented, or did you mean "Dimension"? This is NOT a
    "spelling flame"; it's just having a bit of fun with our language. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 29, 2005
  7. RMS

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Perhaps meant a demented dell ? :)

    MrGrumpy, Aug 29, 2005
  8. RMS

    Ben Myers Guest

    Start the computer in DOS, type "dir /s c:\mini.cab" and press "Enter".
    If the file exists, try running "setup" from the directory in which the file
    resides.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 29, 2005
  9. RMS

    RMS Guest

    > RMS wrote:
    >
    > > I was recently given a used Dell Demention 4100 computer. It seems to

    have

    > Is it *really* demented, or did you mean "Dimension"? This is NOT a
    > "spelling flame"; it's just having a bit of fun with our language. :)
    >

    > --
    > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    >
    > Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    > End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html

    Yess itt iss 'Dimension. guesss mi spel cheekeer ain't working two welll.
    <g>

    rMs
    RMS, Aug 30, 2005
  10. RMS

    RMS Guest

    "RMS" <> wrote in message
    > I was recently given a used Dell Demention 4100 computer. It seems to

    have
    > only a DOS running on it. I called Dell customer service and they said I
    > could get an operating system for $204.
    >
    > I was wondering if their are other 'alternative' means, maybe here on

    the
    > net, to enable me to acquire a way to get this computer up and running.
    >
    > This machine seems to have had Win98SE with an upgrade to Windows
    > Millennium according to the stickers on the side of the case.
    >
    > I got an old keyboard and mouse from the Salvation Army store and they
    > work good. A 17" monitor came with the machine.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > RMS
    >
    > --
    > Any day on this side of the grass is good!
    > u no what 2 do 2 email me.

    Thanks everyone for all the help.
    I appreciate it very much.

    RMS