    about this as I am very confused by it.
    Thanks.

    Paul.

    Paul Boyd, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    Oh, and I do know it tried to access the internet because my firewall has
    stated so when I check it.

    > I got a Email from an unknown person, It had an attachment called
    > "Friends.exe". I kept a hold of it unopened of course. My girlfriend came

    on
    > when I wasn't here and opened it thinking it was some sort of TV quiz or
    > something. I have ran my virus scanners and nothing has came up? However

    the
    > file has changed into a Word document and wont open or allow itself to be
    > deleted in any way as I have tried different methods of deleting it and

    some

    Paul Boyd, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Paul Boyd

    Basket Case Guest

    "Paul Boyd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I got a Email from an unknown person, It had an attachment called
    > "Friends.exe". I kept a hold of it unopened of course. My girlfriend came

    on
    > when I wasn't here and opened it thinking it was some sort of TV quiz or
    > something. I have ran my virus scanners and nothing has came up? However

    the
    > file has changed into a Word document and wont open or allow itself to be
    > deleted in any way as I have tried different methods of deleting it and

    some
    > of the programs tell me that the file is locked? Does anyone know anything
    > about this as I am very confused by it.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Paul.

    Have you updated your antivirus program recently? It sounds like you've got
    one of these two viruses:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.ogid.html

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    Basket Case, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    And now there is something in my task manager which is using about 97%
    called services.exe? ARCH!!!! please help, someone! What is happening? I
    tried ending the process and it said that it couldn't?

    Paul Boyd, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Paul Boyd

    Chris Guest

    Update your antivirus to the most recent parameters.

    Tried rebooting in safe mode?

    If your antivirus won't detect the virus in a scan, try scanning the file
    itself. Certain kinds of virii can mask their identities as virii by
    "hiding" inside another program. Your antivirus might be set only to scan
    executable files. If it's disguised as a word document, it might not be
    scanned. Try right-clicking the file, and scanning it that way.

    Chris, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Paul Boyd

    Thor Guest

    Boot into safe mode, then try deleting the file, and disabling the service
    via administrative tools in the control panel. To boot into safe mode, click
    "start" then "run" then type "msconfig", and click "ok". Then check the
    option next to "diagnostic startup". Then restart the computer.

    Thor, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Paul Boyd

    Chris Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Boot into safe mode, then try deleting the file, and disabling the service
    > via administrative tools in the control panel. To boot into safe mode,

    click
    > "start" then "run" then type "msconfig", and click "ok". Then check the
    > option next to "diagnostic startup". Then restart the computer.

    Shouldn't you determine which OS he's using before you dictate instructions?

    Chris, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Paul Boyd

    Thor Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > Boot into safe mode, then try deleting the file, and disabling the

    service
    > > via administrative tools in the control panel. To boot into safe mode,

    > click
    > > "start" then "run" then type "msconfig", and click "ok". Then check the
    > > option next to "diagnostic startup". Then restart the computer.

    > Shouldn't you determine which OS he's using before you dictate

    instructions?

    1. He said "I tried to end the process". Only a WinXP/2K system displays
    "processes" in the task manager applett by their executable file name, and a
    button that allows you to "end process". In win9x you only have control over
    ending tasks, not individual processes. It was a reasonable assumption based
    on his terminology and description of what he did, that he has either Win2k,
    or XP.

    2. You didn't even bother providing instructions for booting in safe mode,
    no matter what the version when you suggested it. Also, it's highly unlikely
    that his AV scanner is set to scan executables only, as you suggested it
    might be. Unless he went into his AV software and manually removed all the
    other file extensions from the default scan parameters, it will be set up to
    scan DOC files as well as a host of other types besides executables.

    Thor, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Paul Boyd

    Chris Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > 1. He said "I tried to end the process". Only a WinXP/2K system displays
    > "processes" in the task manager applett by their executable file name, and

    > button that allows you to "end process". In win9x you only have control

    over
    > ending tasks, not individual processes. It was a reasonable assumption

    based
    > on his terminology and description of what he did, that he has either

    Win2k,
    > or XP.

    That's assuming he meant "end the process" the way you assume he did. It's
    best to confirm before making assumptions. Saves us tons of trouble later.

    I can end a process in win9x, so that makes your argument a moot one, as one
    doesn't need to have a step displayed in order to know they don't want it to
    occur. I can always 3-finger it, and end task.

    > 2. You didn't even bother providing instructions for booting in safe mode,
    > no matter what the version when you suggested it. Also, it's highly

    unlikely
    > that his AV scanner is set to scan executables only, as you suggested it
    > might be. Unless he went into his AV software and manually removed all the
    > other file extensions from the default scan parameters, it will be set up

    > scan DOC files as well as a host of other types besides executables.

    I didn't bother providing safe mode instructions, because I figured he'd
    either have these instructions with his booklets, find them himself, or ask
    for them. I didn't wish to take a chance on giving the wrong instructions.
    What's so wrong in wanting to give the guy a chance to figure some of this
    out, so that he might be less in need of posting next time?

    Chris, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Paul Boyd

    Jerry G. Guest

    The first word if caution is: Have a very up to date virus scanner running
    all the time in the background. Never open or save any attachments without
    scanning them first. Even a friend can have a virus without knowing it, and
    send you some attachments.

    Always visit the antiviral sites, and do some reading about the latest ones.
    Subscribe to the free news letters that can warn you of these. There are
    many hoaxes and viruses going around.

    It is very wise to keep a full system image backup on a second hard drive,
    or some other type of media. Keep an added separate backup of your registry.
    This way the system, and or just the registry can be put back very quickly.

    Try this link below:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    You may have a difficult one here.

    If you want to delete the file, you can boot in the dos mode, not shell to
    dos from Windows. You can then use the dos commands to get to the directory
    where the parent file is, and manually delete it. If you are not used to
    working with DOS commands, this can be a bit difficult.

    But, it is too late as for your operating system. These are complicated to
    remove manually, unless you are very familiar with the operating system in
    your machine, and are used to working in the registry. You will have to get
    a removal tool for this one.

    On the various antiviral sites, there are detailed instructions about
    removal of these culprits.

    I think there were some variations of this one.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Hi,

    Jerry G., Feb 19, 2004
  11. Paul Boyd

    Thor Guest

    > I didn't bother providing safe mode instructions, because I figured he'd
    > either have these instructions with his booklets, find them himself, or

    ask
    > for them. I didn't wish to take a chance on giving the wrong

    instructions.

    So you made an assuption. Gee, imagine that. Frankly Chris, you need to get
    a life. Yes, I considered the chance that he might be incorrectly describing
    an end-task in Win9x, but given his description of trying to end the process
    on an actual executable file "service.exe" it was far more likely that he
    was indeed looking at the process list in Win2K or XP, because the process
    list explicitly shows the executable file name, while the task list usually
    does not show the file name itself, but the embedded program name. So it was
    a reasonable assumption that he does have Win2K or XP, and until he says
    otherwise, I stand by that assessment. If he had Win9x instead, my advice
    would have been harmless because the option to boot into diag mode would not
    have been there, and he would have been stopped at that point from going any
    further. Additionally, the administrative tools would not exist, thus no way
    to screw that up in Win9x.

    Your reply in another thread to the guy seeking help on kiosk hardware was a
    tad less than helpful. Instead of offering a solution, you just jumped in
    and just dressed the guy down for merely wanting to secure the machines
    against malicious tampering or inept users. I don't think you are in any
    position to criticize anyone Chris.

    > What's so wrong in wanting to give the guy a chance to figure some of this
    > out, so that he might be less in need of posting next time?

    He asked a question. He didn't ask for you to dick around the subject trying
    to teach him some stupid lesson. If you felt he didn't provide enough info,
    then you should have asked him for more.

    Thor, Feb 19, 2004
  12. Paul Boyd

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:38:06 GMT, "Chris" <>
    wrote:

    >"Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> Boot into safe mode, then try deleting the file, and disabling the service
    >> via administrative tools in the control panel. To boot into safe mode,

    >click
    >> "start" then "run" then type "msconfig", and click "ok". Then check the
    >> option next to "diagnostic startup". Then restart the computer.

    >Shouldn't you determine which OS he's using before you dictate instructions?

    Task manager...97%...tried ending the process.

    Thor pretty much nailed it!

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 20, 2004
  13. Paul Boyd

    Chris Guest

    It's been very informative.

    You guess, I guess, and "I" need to get a life.

    Lovely how this works, isn't it?

    Enjoy your evening.

    Chris, Feb 20, 2004
  14. Paul Boyd

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:15:55 GMT, "Chris" <>
    wrote:

    >It's been very informative.
    >
    >You guess, I guess, and "I" need to get a life.
    >
    >Lovely how this works, isn't it?
    >
    >Enjoy your evening.

    Some guesses are better than others.

    Some lives, too! lol