    small. I have tried two undelete programs. One can't find them. The other
    can but only as thumbnails.

    Any advice?
    Dave M, Apr 24, 2007

  2. Dave M

    philo Guest

    "Dave M" <> wrote in message
    news:MKsXh.12$c%...

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My wife accidentally deleted about 200 digital photos (in .jpg format) of
    > our children. I am tryin to recover them. If I search using google

    desktop
    > then I can see them as thumbnails. If I click on them it says there were
    > deleted. I can save the thumbnails. Obviously they are very small --

    very
    > small. I have tried two undelete programs. One can't find them. The

    other
    > can but only as thumbnails.

    Sorry, but I don't have good news for you.
    The very act of searching for the data more than likely over-wrote it.

    Too late now...but what you should have done was to have stopped using the
    machine at once!

    Next...you should have removed the drive and slaved it to another
    machine...then tried an undelete utility from there.
    Even the act of installing an undelete utility can over-write data.
    It probably could not hurt to go ahead any try that method anyway...and give
    a few other undelete utilites a shot.

    It would have cost you all of 25 cents to have burned all the photos to a cd
    or a DVD...
    so in the future be sure to backup all your data!!!!

    No great consolation...but at least you have the thumbnails.
    Maybe not great...but it could have been worse I guess.

    philo, Apr 24, 2007

  3. Dave M

    Gem Guest

    philo expressed precisely :
    > "Dave M" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> My wife accidentally deleted about 200 digital photos (in .jpg format) of
    >> our children. I am tryin to recover them. If I search using google desktop
    >> then I can see them as thumbnails. If I click on them it says there were
    >> deleted. I can save the thumbnails. Obviously they are very small -- very
    >> small. I have tried two undelete programs. One can't find them. The other
    >> can but only as thumbnails.
    >>

    > Sorry, but I don't have good news for you.
    > The very act of searching for the data more than likely over-wrote it.
    >
    > Too late now...but what you should have done was to have stopped using the
    > machine at once!
    >
    > Next...you should have removed the drive and slaved it to another
    > machine...then tried an undelete utility from there.
    > Even the act of installing an undelete utility can over-write data.
    > It probably could not hurt to go ahead any try that method anyway...and give
    > a few other undelete utilites a shot.
    >
    > It would have cost you all of 25 cents to have burned all the photos to a cd
    > or a DVD...
    > so in the future be sure to backup all your data!!!!
    >
    > No great consolation...but at least you have the thumbnails.
    > Maybe not great...but it could have been worse I guess.

    ========================
    went thru this thing spring.
    hang in thre, I'll be back with info for you :)
    Gem, Apr 24, 2007
  4. Dave M

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:19:08 -0400, Dave M wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >My wife accidentally deleted about 200 digital photos (in .jpg format) of

    Recycle bin is turned off?

    >our children. I am tryin to recover them. If I search using google desktop

    If it created a new index, it may have over written some of the files.

    >then I can see them as thumbnails. If I click on them it says there were

    Maybe not a good idea, although looks like the TNs were cached.

    >deleted. I can save the thumbnails. Obviously they are very small -- very

    Sometimes I get deleted, but the link is to the recycle bin and can
    recover a file ot two.

    >small. I have tried two undelete programs. One can't find them. The other

    Bad idea, if the pictures were on the same partition / drive letter as
    the 2 undelete apps you installed you may have overwritten some of the
    files already.

    >can but only as thumbnails.

    The magic name of the apps were?

    >Any advice?

    Most likely your OS is Win, buy some undelete software for the next
    time, this works well.
    http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp

    Me
    why?, Apr 24, 2007
  5. Dave M

    Gem Guest

    philo presented the following explanation :
    > "Dave M" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> My wife accidentally deleted about 200 digital photos (in .jpg format) of
    >> our children. I am tryin to recover them. If I search using google desktop
    >> then I can see them as thumbnails. If I click on them it says there were
    >> deleted. I can save the thumbnails. Obviously they are very small -- very
    >> small. I have tried two undelete programs. One can't find them. The other
    >> can but only as thumbnails.
    >>

    > Sorry, but I don't have good news for you.
    > The very act of searching for the data more than likely over-wrote it.
    >
    > Too late now...but what you should have done was to have stopped using the
    > machine at once!
    >
    > Next...you should have removed the drive and slaved it to another
    > machine...then tried an undelete utility from there.
    > Even the act of installing an undelete utility can over-write data.
    > It probably could not hurt to go ahead any try that method anyway...and give
    > a few other undelete utilites a shot.
    >
    > It would have cost you all of 25 cents to have burned all the photos to a cd
    > or a DVD...
    > so in the future be sure to backup all your data!!!!
    >
    > No great consolation...but at least you have the thumbnails.
    > Maybe not great...but it could have been worse I guess.

    ==========
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Restoration.shtml

    and

    this
    http://www.pcug.org.au/files

    when all was supposedly lost for me, these two frwr progs saved the
    day!
    Gem, Apr 24, 2007
  6. Dave M

    Dave M Guest

    Why can I see the thumbnails in google desktop then?

    D...
    Dave M, Apr 25, 2007
  7. Dave M

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:27:24 -0400, Dave M wrote:

    >Why can I see the thumbnails in google desktop then?

    As a GD user, as you are you tell me.

    Did mention earlier they maybe cached.

    If your browser is on the same partition as the missing files, the act
    of downloading it (browser cache) may overwrite the piccys. If you can't
    download it to another partition, the downloaded file may overwrite the
    piccys, then of course installing it can do the same.

    If you can't avoid any of that, the recover existing files may or may
    not work.

    If it's the PC you are posing / reading these posts from it's even less
    likely to be able to recover files now.

    Not forgetting www.runtime.org and GetDataBack for FAt or NTFS, but
    downloading that app, installing it, running a browser to register for a
    key all writing to the disk may also degrade the ability to recover
    files.

    I tend to get around that problem by, being able to download / save
    restore apps and install to a suitable partition other then the data to
    recover is on.

    C: 750MB (OS boots from here)
    D: 4GB (OS lives here, some programs)
    E: varies (other programs)
    F: and others, data drives.

    The Undelete from executive software says it may recover files from
    before it's installed however -
    http://www.undelete.com/file-recovery.asp?pass=822317868

    Thier notes on already lost a file?
    http://www.undelete.com/support/emergency-undelete.asp
    Do you need to recover a file you’ve already lost?

    Undelete 5.0 can recover files deleted before Undelete was installed,
    provided they haven't been overwritten. Plus you can recreate the
    original folders which makes reorganizing your restored files a snap.

    Step 1
    Stop all activity on the system that you want to recover files from. If
    the system is connected to any network resources, disconnect it now.
    Shut down any programs running in the background as well.

    Step 2
    From another computer, purchase Undelete 5.0. Emergency Undelete is
    included when you buy Undelete.

    Me