Help with DECNet problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ve7eje, Feb 19, 2010.

  1. ve7eje

    ve7eje Guest

    I am hoping someone can help with this problem
    We currently have 2 DECNet hosts on opposite sides of a single Cisco
    router. I have the following config on that router which works fine...

    decnet routing 6.200
    decnet node-type routing-iv
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    decnet cost 5
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    decnet cost 5

    We are moving to a more complex intersite IP network which looks more
    like this.
    SiteAHost <> SiteARtr <> TelcoSiteARtr <> TelcoMPLSWAN <>
    TelcoSiteBRtr <> SiteBRtr <> SiteBHost

    I have control over both SiteARtr and SiteBRtr but none of the Telco
    equipment although they "assure" me that they support DECNet.
    If I simply duplicate the existing commands on the new Site A and B
    routers, will it work? Is there anything else I need to do? Will the
    Telco need to add anything to their configuration?

    Thanks -Rob-

    ve7eje, Feb 19, 2010

  2. ve7eje

    bod43 Guest

    On 19 Feb, 16:09, ve7eje <> wrote:
    > I am hoping someone can help with this problem
    > We currently have 2 DECNet hosts on opposite sides of a single Cisco
    > router. I have the following config on that router which works fine...
    >
    > decnet routing 6.200
    > decnet node-type routing-iv
    > !
    > interface FastEthernet0/0
    >  decnet cost 5
    > !
    > interface FastEthernet0/1
    >  decnet cost 5
    >
    > We are moving to a more complex intersite IP network which looks more
    > like this.
    > SiteAHost <> SiteARtr <> TelcoSiteARtr <> TelcoMPLSWAN <>
    > TelcoSiteBRtr <> SiteBRtr <> SiteBHost
    >
    > I have control over both SiteARtr and SiteBRtr but none of the Telco
    > equipment although they "assure" me that they support DECNet.
    > If I simply duplicate the existing commands on the new Site A and B
    > routers, will it work? Is there anything else I need to do? Will the
    > Telco need to add anything to their configuration?

    Would seem to me to be vanishingly unlikely that a
    current provider would support DECnet. Unless you get
    a Layer 2 service from them in which case they do not "see"
    the DECnet (L3) traffic.

    One option might be to do your own L2TPv3 tunnel or
    maybe you can tunnel DECNet over IP. Not sure.

    int tu 1
    decnet commands here
    source ip.address
    dest ip.address

    Ask them for confirmation in writing (a proper letter
    through the post) from their Chief
    Technology Officer that they will support
    your proposed DECNet solution.

    bod43, Feb 20, 2010

  3. ve7eje

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, (bod43) writes:

    | One option might be to do your own L2TPv3 tunnel or
    | maybe you can tunnel DECNet over IP. Not sure.
    |
    | int tu 1
    | decnet commands here
    | source ip.address
    | dest ip.address

    You could certainly do DECNet over GRE at one time, though I'm beginning
    to wonder how much longer Cisco will support these "legacy" protocols.
    Seems to me they gave notice several IOS versions ago that a number of
    protocols (including DECNet) were going away, but only Vines actually
    went. On the other hand I thought I'd noticed that DECNet-specific
    commands had become more hidden lately, with even the simple shows
    requiring a privileged mode.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Feb 20, 2010