Help with Data Recovery from HDD Please. - Freeware or low cost solution?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeffreyscotttweedy@gmail.com, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    About a month ago, while running CCleaner, my external 400GB Seagate
    HDD showed an error indicating something like "the master file is
    corrupt" or "the directory file is corrupt". I don't remember the
    exact language. I rebooted my pc and restarted the drive. It was not
    recognized and could not be accessed. System Restore indicated it
    could not restore the external drive as it had been turned off. Disk
    Management indicated an empty drive. The HDD was set up with NTFS and
    was in a firewire enclosure.

    Prior to this error, there were no indications of problems with the
    drive- no noises, no error messages. I used the drive for media
    storage- largely for mp3 files, but also some movies. Some of the
    data was backed up, but about 100 gb was not. A bunch of data
    recovery services gave me quotes in a range of $400 to $3500.

    The freeware PC Inspector File Recovery did not show any data on the
    Seagate. GetDataBack 3.03 did a thorough scan and showed all my files
    were still accessible. This program allows you to access individual
    files, but not copy or save them to another location without paying a
    $80 fee (ie. I was able to play individual mp3s, but not recover or
    copy them).

    I'm impressed with the GetDataBack program and do not object paying
    for the registration if that's my last option, but at this time $80 is
    a significant amount to me and I would like to try any lower cost or
    free options if there are any.

    Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for either a method of
    manually accessing the data or some other freeware solution?

    Thank you,
    Scott

    , Mar 6, 2007

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > About a month ago, while running CCleaner, my external 400GB Seagate
    > HDD showed an error indicating something like "the master file is
    > corrupt" or "the directory file is corrupt". I don't remember the
    > exact language. I rebooted my pc and restarted the drive. It was not
    > recognized and could not be accessed. System Restore indicated it
    > could not restore the external drive as it had been turned off. Disk
    > Management indicated an empty drive. The HDD was set up with NTFS and
    > was in a firewire enclosure.
    >
    > Prior to this error, there were no indications of problems with the
    > drive- no noises, no error messages. I used the drive for media
    > storage- largely for mp3 files, but also some movies. Some of the
    > data was backed up, but about 100 gb was not. A bunch of data
    > recovery services gave me quotes in a range of $400 to $3500.
    >
    > The freeware PC Inspector File Recovery did not show any data on the
    > Seagate. GetDataBack 3.03 did a thorough scan and showed all my files
    > were still accessible. This program allows you to access individual
    > files, but not copy or save them to another location without paying a
    > $80 fee (ie. I was able to play individual mp3s, but not recover or
    > copy them).
    >
    > I'm impressed with the GetDataBack program and do not object paying
    > for the registration if that's my last option, but at this time $80 is
    > a significant amount to me and I would like to try any lower cost or
    > free options if there are any.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for either a method of
    > manually accessing the data or some other freeware solution?

    Go to www.google.com ,and type in..Freeware Data recovery.
    you should get some software to try.

    meerkat, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Guest

    > Go towww.google.com,and type in..Freeware Data recovery.
    > you should get some software to try.- Hide quoted text -

    Yes. Thank you. I did that, of course. I suppose I should have
    included that information in my initial post. I've done quite a bit
    of legwork searching for a solution, and I came to this forum hoping
    that someone with more technical savvy than I or with experience with
    this problem would have a solution that I haven't been able to
    uncover.

    Thank you
    Scott

    , Mar 6, 2007
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >About a month ago, while running CCleaner, my external 400GB Seagate
    >HDD showed an error indicating something like "the master file is
    >corrupt" or "the directory file is corrupt". I don't remember the
    >exact language. I rebooted my pc and restarted the drive. It was not
    >recognized and could not be accessed. System Restore indicated it
    >could not restore the external drive as it had been turned off. Disk
    >Management indicated an empty drive. The HDD was set up with NTFS and
    >was in a firewire enclosure.

    FWIW: NTFS stores a second boot sector you can replace the missing or
    corrupt one with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153973

    --
    Superstar
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zc3C4zDdOXk

    , Mar 6, 2007
  5. Guest

    > FWIW: NTFS stores a second boot sector you can replace the missing or
    > corrupt one withhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/153973

    Thanks for that tip. I think I'll save that as a last resort, as it
    seems rather technical and involves working changing data on the disc.

    , Mar 6, 2007
  6. pcbutts1 Guest

    From the makers of Ccleaner http://www.recuva.com/

    pcbutts1, Mar 7, 2007
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    >> FWIW: NTFS stores a second boot sector you can replace the missing or
    >> corrupt one withhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/153973

    >Thanks for that tip. I think I'll save that as a last resort, as it
    >seems rather technical and involves working changing data on the disc.

    As a last resort, here is Disk Probe mentioned in the link
    http://download.yousendit.com/4BA4F8AA4AB1C238

    It's 10 years old (from the NT resource kit) and an awful disk editor.
    It starts in read only and does no harm in just checking it out.

    I can't suggest a decent NTFS disk editor, but find something else.

    --
    Superstar
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zc3C4zDdOXk

    , Mar 7, 2007
  8. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > About a month ago, while running CCleaner, my external
    > 400GB Seagate HDD showed an error indicating something like
    > "the master file is corrupt" or "the directory file is
    > corrupt". I don't remember the exact language. I rebooted
    > my pc and restarted the drive. It was not recognized and
    > could not be accessed. System Restore indicated it could
    > not restore the external drive as it had been turned off.
    > Disk Management indicated an empty drive. The HDD was set
    > up with NTFS and was in a firewire enclosure.
    >
    > Prior to this error, there were no indications of problems
    > with the drive- no noises, no error messages. I used the
    > drive for media storage- largely for mp3 files, but also
    > some movies. Some of the data was backed up, but about 100
    > gb was not. A bunch of data recovery services gave me
    > quotes in a range of $400 to $3500.
    >
    > The freeware PC Inspector File Recovery did not show any
    > data on the Seagate. GetDataBack 3.03 did a thorough scan
    > and showed all my files were still accessible. This
    > program allows you to access individual files, but not copy
    > or save them to another location without paying a $80 fee
    > (ie. I was able to play individual mp3s, but not recover or
    > copy them).
    >
    > I'm impressed with the GetDataBack program and do not
    > object paying for the registration if that's my last
    > option, but at this time $80 is a significant amount to me
    > and I would like to try any lower cost or free options if
    > there are any.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for either a
    > method of manually accessing the data or some other
    > freeware solution?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Scott

    For some reason, data recovery software seems to be just about
    the only type of program NOT available in free or shareware. I
    once lost a 40GB drive and needed to do what you need to do. I
    searched and searched and ended up going to the warez groups and
    dl'g a cracked program. I think $80-$500 is a little high to
    demand from a home user who had a mishap.

    BTW, from what I can tell from the site, recuva is not what you
    need. It appears to be an undeleter, like "Restoration".

    So there you are. An ethical dilemma of sorts.

    thanatoid, Mar 7, 2007
  9. Guest

    Penny W. - Thanks again for the tip and the link. To be honest, I'm a
    little fearful playing with the MBR. Most things I've read in doing
    my research recommend not altering the disc at all before recovering
    data and I'm not technically astute enough to follow the MS bulletin
    with confidence.

    PC Butts- Thank you, too. As Thanatoid pointed out, Recuva is an
    undelete program, as are most all of the other "freeware file
    recovery" programs I was able to find. Recuva did find some deleted
    data on another hard drive I tried it with, though. Very simple to
    use and a good interface.

    Thanatoid- Thank you also. My sentiments exactly. It doesn't seem
    data recovery freeware is out there. I suppose the folks who are
    smart enough to put together such a program are also smart enough to
    back up their data regularly and don't need that kind of software. PC
    Inspector seems to have a lot of good reviews, but it wasn't able to
    see the data on my HDD.

    So... I took the plunge earlier today and GetDataBack appears to be
    doing the job successfully. It'll take about 7 hours to copy (from a
    USB2.0 exteral to a Firewire external) about 250GB of data.
    Coincidently, someone sent me a link for Active Partition Recovery 5.0
    after I took the plunge with GetDataBack. I set it up on another
    computer and it appears to be just as competent a program, albeit a
    little less freindly on the eyes. Like GetDataBack, it allows you to
    scan a disk and determine if there's salvageable information prior to
    buying a registration code. The advantage is it costs $35. Quite a
    bit less than GetDataBack's $45. A lot of sites also refer to
    SpinRite6 also. You have to purchase SpinRite6 outright and can
    request a refund if it doesn't work and their technical department
    can't help you.

    Thanks everyone
    Scott

    , Mar 7, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Mar 7, 11:01 am, wrote:
    > Penny W. - Thanks again for the tip and the link. To be honest, I'm a
    > little fearful playing with the MBR. Most things I've read in doing
    > my research recommend not altering the disc at all before recovering
    > data and I'm not technically astute enough to follow the MS bulletin
    > with confidence.
    >
    > PC Butts- Thank you, too. As Thanatoid pointed out, Recuva is an
    > undelete program, as are most all of the other "freeware file
    > recovery" programs I was able to find. Recuva did find some deleted
    > data on another hard drive I tried it with, though. Very simple to
    > use and a good interface.
    >
    > Thanatoid- Thank you also. My sentiments exactly. It doesn't seem
    > data recovery freeware is out there. I suppose the folks who are
    > smart enough to put together such a program are also smart enough to
    > back up their data regularly and don't need that kind of software. PC
    > Inspector seems to have a lot of good reviews, but it wasn't able to
    > see the data on my HDD.
    >
    > So... I took the plunge earlier today and GetDataBack appears to be
    > doing the job successfully. It'll take about 7 hours to copy (from a
    > USB2.0 exteral to a Firewire external) about 250GB of data.
    > Coincidently, someone sent me a link for Active Partition Recovery 5.0
    > after I took the plunge with GetDataBack. I set it up on another
    > computer and it appears to be just as competent a program, albeit a
    > little less freindly on the eyes. Like GetDataBack, it allows you to
    > scan a disk and determine if there's salvageable information prior to
    > buying a registration code. The advantage is it costs $35. Quite a
    > bit less than GetDataBack's $45.

    ---- I meant GetDataBack's $80. That's $45 more than Active
    Partition Recovery 5.0
    Scott

    , Mar 7, 2007
  11. Guest

    wrote:

    >Penny W. - Thanks again for the tip and the link. To be honest, I'm a
    >little fearful playing with the MBR. Most things I've read in doing
    >my research recommend not altering the disc at all before recovering
    >data and I'm not technically astute enough to follow the MS bulletin
    >with confidence.

    No you don't want to write to a drive you want to recover info from.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153973
    "To assure recovery during the following procedures, once you have
    verified the NTFS boot sector and the copy to be valid, save the
    sector to a file while viewing it by selecting "Save As" from the File
    menu and specify a path and filename."

    That's a screwie way to say save the disk sector before you edit it,
    so if you make a mistake (or it doesn't work), you can load the sector
    back to the disk and start over (no harm done).

    Good Luck.
    --
    1K project
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321