    alternative?

    Many thanks.

    Ian E

    news.freedom2surf.net, Apr 21, 2007

  2. news.freedom2surf.net

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "news.freedom2surf.net" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310 USB
    > ADSL modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual booting with
    > Ubuntu 7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I
    > have now decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem working!
    >
    > Can anyone please advise what hardware I need to get an internet
    > connection straight off e.g. booting with cd to install Ubuntu for first
    > time and getting an internet connection right at the start without having
    > to install 3rd party modem drivers.
    >
    > The FDX310 driver also does not support Vista and I have read that USB
    > ADSL modems work poorly in Vista. Is this correct. If so, what should I
    > buy as an alternative?

    Wouldn't that depend on what your ISP recommends? Get a modem with ethernet
    output, and connect it to your NIC in the PC. IME, works right first time,
    everytime (if the NIC is configured properly).

    WhzzKdd, Apr 21, 2007

  3. news.freedom2surf.net

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310 USB ADSL
    > modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual booting with Ubuntu
    > 7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I have now
    > decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem working!

    Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.

    As long as the machine has an ethernet connection, you'll be online as
    soon as you boot if the router isn't switched off, as they tend to
    reconnect automatically if the signal drops out (this can often be set
    to manual connection only if required)

    They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !

    Colin Wilson, Apr 21, 2007
  4. news.freedom2surf.net

    Joker7 Guest

    In news: f0e2hm$hto$2surf.net,
    news.freedom2surf.net wrote on :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310
    >> USB ADSL modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual
    >> booting with Ubuntu
    >> 7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I
    >> have now decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem
    >> working!
    >>
    >> Can anyone please advise what hardware I need to get an internet
    >> connection straight off e.g. booting with cd to install Ubuntu for
    >> first time and getting an internet connection right at the start
    >> without having to install 3rd party modem drivers.
    >>
    >> The FDX310 driver also does not support Vista and I have read that
    >> USB ADSL modems work poorly in Vista. Is this correct. If so, what
    >> should I buy as an alternative?
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Ian E

    ADSL modem router and a good network card with linux-based and vista
    drivers.

    Chris

    --
    Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
    Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

    Joker7, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Hello,

    Colin Wilson a écrit :

    > Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.

    I suppose you're talking about those masquerading SOHO gateways.

    > They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !

    Yeah, but on the other hand they make life so much harder when playing
    with NAT-unfriendly protocols and applications. Or IPv6. Many SOHO
    routers do not support them, while a simple modem is transparent to them
    and does not have to care.

    Pascal Hambourg, Apr 22, 2007
  6. news.freedom2surf.net

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > > Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.
    > I suppose you're talking about those masquerading SOHO gateways.
    > > They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !

    > Yeah, but on the other hand they make life so much harder when playing
    > with NAT-unfriendly protocols and applications. Or IPv6. Many SOHO
    > routers do not support them, while a simple modem is transparent to them
    > and does not have to care.

    I bow to your superior knowledge - perhaps you should answer the OP
    then.

    Colin Wilson, Apr 22, 2007
  7. Colin Wilson a écrit :

    > I bow to your superior knowledge

    :)

    > perhaps you should answer the OP then.

    I do not know ADSL modems so much, as I have always used the same now
    obsolete model which fully fits my needs. I do not know ADSL routers so
    much either because I don't use them, for the reasons I exposed.
    Besides, I would not be able to give an answer without knowing the type
    of protocol encapsulation used by the ISP over the ADSL line (is it
    PPPoE, PPPoA, IP over bridged ethernet, routed IPoA, something more
    exotic... ?) and the OP's needs.

    Pascal Hambourg, Apr 22, 2007
  8. news.freedom2surf.net

    Flyer Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310 USB
    > ADSL modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual booting with
    > Ubuntu 7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I
    > have now decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem working!
    >
    > Can anyone please advise what hardware I need to get an internet
    > connection straight off e.g. booting with cd to install Ubuntu for first
    > time and getting an internet connection right at the start without having
    > to install 3rd party modem drivers.
    >
    > The FDX310 driver also does not support Vista and I have read that USB
    > ADSL modems work poorly in Vista. Is this correct. If so, what should I
    > buy as an alternative?

    buy a adsl modem/router suitable for your internet connexion, and dump USB,
    Ubuntu will love you for it, so will Vista ;-)

    P,

    Flyer, Apr 22, 2007
  9. news.freedom2surf.net

    David Brown Guest

    Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Colin Wilson a écrit :
    >>
    >> Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.

    > I suppose you're talking about those masquerading SOHO gateways.
    >
    >> They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !

    > Yeah, but on the other hand they make life so much harder when playing
    > with NAT-unfriendly protocols and applications. Or IPv6. Many SOHO
    > routers do not support them, while a simple modem is transparent to them
    > and does not have to care.

    The O/P dual boots with windows - it is downright insane to connect a
    windows machine to the internet via an ADSL modem (USB or Ethernet)
    without a proper firewall in between. Any half-baked NAT router can be
    configured to handle NAT-unfriendly protocols (ftp, ipsec, file sharing
    protocols, etc.) reasonably well, and IPv6 will not be an issue for home
    users for another decade. The difference such a router makes to your
    windows security cannot be overstated. There is also the advantage that
    router handles any required silliness from your ISP, such as login names
    and passwords and other setup, it has a DHCP server and supports
    multiple PC's on your home network.

    The only reason anyone would want to connect to the internet *without*
    using a NAT router like this is because they have a better solution
    (perhaps recycle an old PC as an IPCop gateway, or use OpenWrt on a
    LinkSys router).

    David Brown, Apr 22, 2007