    haven't been able to get into the CMOS or stop at a dos prompt.
    TIA
    Jerry
    Jerry, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Jerry

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:47:21 GMT, (Jerry) wrote:

    >Will someone please tell me how to get to a dos prompt on a Presario 1235?
    >My problem started with lockup in Explorer. I can't do anything other
    >than move the mouse.
    >Even Cont/Alt/Del doesn't have any effect and when I try to reboot I can't
    >get it to stop at a dos prompt so that I can try scanreg/restore.
    >I've tried hitting the F8 key, the delete key and each of the other 11
    >F'keys alone and in combination with the control and alt keys. So far I
    >haven't been able to get into the CMOS or stop at a dos prompt.
    >TIA
    >Jerry

    How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512

    Press and hold down the "Control" key during bootup until
    the Boot Menu appears, then select "5. Command prompt only".
    At the DOS prompt type "scanreg /restore" (Note the space)
    (You may need to type "cd c:\windows\command" if you get "bad command")
    Scan through the list and see if there's a date available when all was
    working correctly. If yes, restore that one, reboot.
    Unk, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Do you have an emergency boot floppy?
    If so boot from that, and follow the prompts

    Lauren Riskkit, Aug 7, 2004