  1. Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD player
    to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to TV? I
    can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

    Thursdaynighters, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Thursdaynighters

    halb Guest

    I have the Cox Cable HDTV/PVR box (Motorola) and it has Composite,
    Component, S-Video and RF outputs.

    halb

    halb, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Thursdaynighters

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Thursdaynighters wrote:
    > Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD player
    > to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to TV? I
    > can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

    Well, to get the HDTV signal you have to go to either component cable
    or digital DVI or HDMI should the Comcast box have that. Composite and
    S-Video are only good for 480i signals. Read the manual for the Sony LCD
    which I assume is their Rear Projection LCD HDTV.

    If you have the newer model, it should also have a built-in ATSC
    digital tuner so you can pick up HD Over the Air (OTA) broadcast if
    there are digital stations in your area. You may find that Comcast cable
    is not carrying all the digital/HD local stations in your area yet. For
    that matter, there are a number of people who have found that they get a
    better picture quality for the network broadcasts OTA than through the
    cable.

    This topic is better suited to alt.tv.tech.hdtv or www.avsforum.com
    but avsforum is down until Saturday night for system work.

    Alan Figgatt

    Alan Figgatt, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Thursdaynighters

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Forgot to add that to find out what digital stations are in your area,
    goto www.antennaweb.org. Many digital stations, especially in the
    smaller cities, are still broadcasting at low power to save money, so it
    can be hit or miss on whether you can pick up the station.

    Alan Figgatt

    Alan Figgatt, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Thursdaynighters

    Biz Guest

    > Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD

    player
    > to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to

    TV? I
    > can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

    If you just have their plain jane box, chances are thats all you get.
    You'll want to check your box to see if it has composite output, or better
    yet s-video, or even better yet component. Better cable boxes as well as HD
    cable boxes usually also have digital audio connections as well.

    Biz, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Thursdaynighters

    Mark B. Guest

    > Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD
    > player
    > to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to
    > TV? I
    > can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

    Contact Comcast and have them hook you up with a new HD box.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 12, 2004
  7. Thursdaynighters

    fredman Guest

    On 11 Dec 2004 09:25:49 GMT,
    (Thursdaynighters) wrote:

    >Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD player
    >to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to TV? I
    >can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

    First off, your signal strength coming through the cable has to be of
    an acceptable amount or it won't support digital/hi-def and/or
    broadband. This could be a problem in older cabling. If you're
    fairly new, should be no worries. The Comcast box will feature either
    the three component set, or a DVI connection, or both, as well as a
    digital audio (either/or fiber/coax) connection. They will provide
    you with a robust set of component video/RCA audio cables to go from
    the STB to your TV (I don't know if they'll route it through other
    components, i.e. receiver, etc.) and will usually do it for you, but
    if you have an elaborate setup (VCR/TIVO, TV tuner, HT receiver, etc.)
    you may have to do that yourself - I did. They just make sure you're
    getting good reception from the box to the set. Good luck.

    fredman, Dec 12, 2004