Help with cloning primary HD drive to external HD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I am looking at the Maxtor and Seagate line of external hard drives
    for the intended purpose of creating a mirror image of my primary HD.
    Both Maxtor and Seagate's web site seems to indicate that they provide
    free cloning software but the information is somewhat confusing and
    sketchy. I have written to both tech supports and get more confusing
    feedback.

    I am aware of proprietary cloning products like Acronis, et.al., but
    if I can accomplish cloning via vendor supplied software, that would
    be my preference.

    Has anyone used either of these external HDs with their MaxBlast
    (reportedly a redacted version of Acronis) or Safety Drill to clone
    primary HDs, if so what was your experience?

    Thanks for any assistance

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 16, 2007

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > I am looking at the Maxtor and Seagate line of external hard drives
    > for the intended purpose of creating a mirror image of my primary HD.
    > Both Maxtor and Seagate's web site seems to indicate that they provide
    > free cloning software but the information is somewhat confusing and
    > sketchy. I have written to both tech supports and get more confusing
    > feedback.
    >
    > I am aware of proprietary cloning products like Acronis, et.al., but
    > if I can accomplish cloning via vendor supplied software, that would
    > be my preference.
    >
    > Has anyone used either of these external HDs with their MaxBlast
    > (reportedly a redacted version of Acronis) or Safety Drill to clone
    > primary HDs, if so what was your experience?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance
    >

    > Frank

    Using Ghost2003 to clone to a removable harddisk, and an usb external HD.
    Both are recognized when booting from the Ghost cd, although the
    USB disk is only recognized as USB1, so it is dead slow(but it works).
    Done that on a friends laptop to, restoring it, after it had been used
    by some family member for a year.
    It beats having to re-install or scan/remove viri/malware.

    Sjouke Burry, Sep 16, 2007

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks for the response and input - you mention Ghost 2003 - is that
    the most recent version or is it the version you recommend?

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 18, 2007
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > Thanks for the response and input - you mention Ghost 2003 - is that
    > the most recent version or is it the version you recommend?
    >
    > Frank

    Its the one I have , the 2003 part shows from what year,I think.
    Since then have a number of new versions come by, and they had
    a change of owners.
    The 2003 version has no windows interface,it boots from CD in Freedos.
    I kind of like it that way.
    I have heard people complaining about the newer versions
    on a dedicated newsgroup but I have not tested the recent versions.

    Sjouke Burry, Sep 18, 2007