Help with Cisco 837 router to connect to the Internet via ADSL?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jason, Dec 20, 2008.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    I've just got a Cisco 837 ADSL router which I'm hoping to use to connect to
    the Internet via BT broadband in the UK (PPoA). I've used a guide I found
    on Cisco's site to do some basic setup via the command line but have been
    unable to connect; it went through the usual interface & NAT configs as
    well as some ADSL stuff but at no point did I see anywhere to add my BT
    broadband username, which I know need to add in order to connect to the
    Internet.

    I have been able to get a ping back from the internal IP address of the
    router so I thought I would be able to use the SDM to configure it, but I
    can't connect to it via fiefox (I get Connection Interrupted The document
    contains no data) or IE (The page cannot be displayed error)

    The Image I'm using is :c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-12.bin

    I think this is a quite recent version so I'm a bit stuck as to how to
    proceed, can anyone give me any clues as to how to connect via the web
    front end or how to correctly configure my router via the command line?

    TIA, Jason

    Jason, Dec 20, 2008

  2. Jason

    Morph Guest

    In the message <Xns9B7ACED9EF46CSpamSpamSpamSpanishI@140.99.99.130>
    Jason wrote:

    | I've just got a Cisco 837 ADSL router which I'm hoping to use to connect to
    | the Internet via BT broadband in the UK (PPoA). I've used a guide I found
    | on Cisco's site to do some basic setup via the command line but have been
    | unable to connect; it went through the usual interface & NAT configs as
    | well as some ADSL stuff but at no point did I see anywhere to add my BT
    | broadband username, which I know need to add in order to connect to the
    | Internet.
    |
    | I have been able to get a ping back from the internal IP address of the
    | router so I thought I would be able to use the SDM to configure it, but I
    | can't connect to it via fiefox (I get Connection Interrupted The document
    | contains no data) or IE (The page cannot be displayed error)
    |
    | The Image I'm using is :c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-12.bin
    |
    | I think this is a quite recent version so I'm a bit stuck as to how to
    | proceed, can anyone give me any clues as to how to connect via the web
    | front end or how to correctly configure my router via the command line?

    See if any of this lines are present in the configuration:
    ip http server
    ip http secure-server
    You need this lines to be able to connect to the router via http
    (https).

    Morph, Dec 20, 2008

  3. Jason

    alexd Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > It may also pay to specify your ISP and the method they
    > prefer (if you are aware of it).

    I think you missed the bit of his post where he said "BT broadband in the UK
    (PPoA)".

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:08:53 up 16 days, 13:21, 1 user, load average: 0.79, 0.53, 0.27

    alexd, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Morph <> wrote in

    > In the message <Xns9B7ACED9EF46CSpamSpamSpamSpanishI@140.99.99.130>
    > Jason wrote:
    >
    >| I've just got a Cisco 837 ADSL router which I'm hoping to use to
    >| connect to the Internet via BT broadband in the UK (PPoA). I've used
    >| a guide I found on Cisco's site to do some basic setup via the
    >| command line but have been unable to connect; it went through the
    >| usual interface & NAT configs as well as some ADSL stuff but at no
    >| point did I see anywhere to add my BT broadband username, which I
    >| know need to add in order to connect to the Internet.
    >|
    >| I have been able to get a ping back from the internal IP address of
    >| the router so I thought I would be able to use the SDM to configure
    >| it, but I can't connect to it via fiefox (I get Connection
    >| Interrupted The document contains no data) or IE (The page cannot be
    >| displayed error)
    >|
    >| The Image I'm using is :c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-12.bin
    >|
    >| I think this is a quite recent version so I'm a bit stuck as to how
    >| to proceed, can anyone give me any clues as to how to connect via the
    >| web front end or how to correctly configure my router via the command
    >| line?
    >
    > See if any of this lines are present in the configuration:
    > ip http server
    > ip http secure-server
    > You need this lines to be able to connect to the router via http
    > (https).

    Thanks, that's what I needed to change, it's all working fine now.

    Jase

    Jason, Dec 21, 2008