Help with Cisco 2600

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Richard Moat, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. Richard Moat

    Richard Moat

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hay, i have just bought a Cisco 2600 router for home (to practice on etc). And i seem to have a small problem:

    The problem:

    No host or my router can ping a domain name of the outside world.

    What i can do:

    All hosts can ping each other, My cisco router can ping the modem and the other router, plus all hosts. Basicaly everything is talking.

    My set up:

    I have my cable modem connected to the ethernet 0/0 on the router, and a linksys router (acting as a switch) connected to ethernet 0/1. (to the port which says 'internet')

    My config: (passwords are xxxxxx)

    Code:
    Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Moat
    !
    enable secret 5 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    enable password xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    isdn voice-call-failure 0
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0/0
     ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0
     no ip directed-broadcast
    !
    interface BRI0/0
     no ip address
     no ip directed-broadcast
     shutdown
     isdn guard-timer 0 on-expiry accept
    !
    interface Ethernet0/1
     ip address 192.168.3.3 255.255.255.0
     no ip directed-broadcast
    !
    interface Ethernet1/0
     no ip address
     no ip directed-broadcast
     shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/0
    no ip http server
    !
    !
    line con 0
     password xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     login
     transport input none
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
     password xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     login
    !
    no scheduler allocate
    end
    !
    I am sure that i will be missing something to do with a DNS, help would be appriciated :) Thanks
    Richard Moat, Oct 15, 2006

  2. Richard Moat

    Richard Moat

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I have just descovered after a little reasurch that it is because i dont have arp encapsulation configured. (when i ping with debug accesslist 101 on i recive an message at end end of the debug string saying "encapsulation failed")

    How ever i still have the same problem. I have configured arp arpa on interface e0/0 and e0/1 but still i get the message of encapsulation failed. Help is most welcome :)
    Richard Moat, Oct 15, 2006

  3. Richard Moat

    sk1lledsupp0rt

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Can you ping outside world hosts by IP ? (ex: 4.2.2.2)
    a) From the modem (I'm assuming since it has an IP it also has a web-management interface)?
    b) From the Cisco router?
    c) From the soho router?
    d) From a host connected to the soho router?

    If yes. Check what DNS server is configured on your hosts. If it is the soho router, make sure that the soho router has a valid DNS configured on it.

    The Cisco router will not participate in DNS resolution without further configuration.
    sk1lledsupp0rt, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Richard Moat

    jjokcca

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    First thing is what is your public IP address, you need to assign the public IP address to the your internet port. Also you need to have NAT statement in the configuration, so you can NAT the traffic from internal to external.
    jjokcca, Oct 25, 2006