    Any input would be helpful.

    Thanks,
    Terrie
    pointerspoint, Apr 11, 2004

  2. pointerspoint

    nellybly Guest

    In article <>,
    pointerspoint <> wrote:

    > Panosanic DMC FZ1 (I think this one may be
    > hard to find?)

    Panasonic DMC-FZ1K 2MP 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera: $243.96 Shipped
    http://www.dealsontheweb.com/deal-click.php?id=17915
    OneCall Electronics is having a limited-time special on the Panasonic
    DMC-FZ1K Digital Camera for $243.96 with Free FedEx 3-day shipping. The
    camera features 2.0 megapixels, 12x optical & 3x digital zoom, a 1.5"
    LCD display and a SD/MMC memory card slot. It's the lowest current
    price we've seen. Expires Apr 12, 2004

    Sounds like a great camera, especially at that price!
    NB
    nellybly, Apr 11, 2004

  3. pointerspoint" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I know you've answered this question a million times but I've been
    > researching cameras until I'm dizzy and I hope someone can help. What
    > is important to me is image quality, a decent zoom, and video with
    > sound capability. I don't need a real high megapixel because the most
    > I may want to print is 4 x 6 or possibly 5 x 7. I don't foresee
    > needing to print any 8 x 10s. The cameras I've narrowed it down to are
    > Fuji S5000, Kodak 6490, Panosanic DMC FZ1 (I think this one may be
    > hard to find?), and the Canon G3 (also hard to find?).

    <snip>

    I'd avoid the DMC FZ1. 2Mp isn't sufficient for 5x7.

    In the $400 range, the DX6490 is a good choice. The Canon A80 is also good
    ($325). But if you really want the wide optical zoom, nothing touches the
    DX6490 in your price range.

    The Canon G3 has been discontinued, and the G5 has come down in price so
    much that it isn't worth buying a G3. Still, they are $550, which is more
    than you want to spend apparently. There are several advantages to the G5
    over the DX6490, including the hot shoe, the fact that it uses compact
    flash, and the availability of lenses and filters with the use of an adapter
    tube (though you won't need any lenses for the DX6490).

    No camera is perfect, and there are negatives about every camera out there.

    Digital Camera Short List: http://nordicgroup.us/digicam
    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 11, 2004
  4. pointerspoint

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Terrie,

    All of the cameras are going to do a good job. I guess if it were me, I
    would ask what you are going to do with your camera. What features do I
    need now and what do I see me doing with the camera in the future.

    Since I work for Kodak, I know the quality and what the features are of the
    DX6490 and would suggest that one for you. My reason being that since you
    do not want large images, I am going to guess that you want to use the
    camera for general family situations, vacations, and possibly some creative
    work of your own. If that is the case then I heartily suggest the Kodak
    DX6490. The features that prompt me to suggest this are external flash (you
    can light an entire room or greater and get great results), as well as have
    all the adjustable camera features, if you want them. Having a large
    optical zoom is also and advantage as you can optically zoom to get the
    composition you want at an advanageous distance. When you couple that
    feature with the external flash, you have solid and successful camera.

    Also, the EasyShare camera gives you .... well ... EasyShare. This is
    essentially the EasyShare software as well as the camera and the dock in
    combination. You need only place the camera on the dock and the pictures
    can be auto printed, emailed, and stored as a favorite image. Yes, email
    addresses are included in the camera. If you get a printer dock you can
    print your 4x6 images on a dye thermal printer that yields really good
    results, and that are protected from water, etc. Check the Printer Dock at
    the store.

    So, if you have any interest in the Kodak camera, I am glad to share with
    you. As I said, however, you will get good results from all. So, when you
    do make your decision, don't look over your shoulder.

    Talk to you soon, I will be here if you want to share any questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Apr 12, 2004