Help with CD burner (Sony CD-RW CRX215E5)

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Breedo, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    An older client of mine wanted me to show him how to burn cds on his
    computer. He's got an HP Pavilion a405n running XP SP2 with a Sony CD-RW
    model CRX215E5. Once I familiarized myself with his burning software, I
    tried burning a sample for him. Unfortunately his drive did not show up as
    a possible recording device. I checked the connections and tested to see if
    the drive was able to read cds. The connections were fine and his drive
    could read cds, but his computer would not recognize the drive as a burner.
    I tried loading my software, Nero, since I'm more familiar with it. Same
    problem, it does not recognize the drive as a recordable device. I decided
    to take the drive home to see if it was a mechanical problem or a driver
    problem. I installed his drive into my system running 2000. I'm getting
    the same problem. The drive shows up properly in device manager as Sony
    CD-RW CRX215E5, and it can read cds fine, but it will not show up as a
    recording device in my burning software.

    Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I checked the Sony site, and they do
    not even include this model number in their list of models. A google search
    showed a number of entries for people complaining of problems with the drive
    suddenly not working after working fine for a long time, but nothing like
    what I'm experiencing. I suspect it's a faulty drive, but am I missing
    something? Is there anything else I should check, or is there a way to
    verify it's a hardware problem?

    Thanks in advance!
    -Breedo_

    Breedo, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Breedo

    Pat Guest

    Breedo wrote:
    > An older client of mine wanted me to show him how to burn cds on his
    > computer. He's got an HP Pavilion a405n running XP SP2 with a Sony CD-RW
    > model CRX215E5. Once I familiarized myself with his burning software, I
    > tried burning a sample for him. Unfortunately his drive did not show up as
    > a possible recording device. I checked the connections and tested to see if
    > the drive was able to read cds. The connections were fine and his drive
    > could read cds, but his computer would not recognize the drive as a burner.
    > I tried loading my software, Nero, since I'm more familiar with it. Same
    > problem, it does not recognize the drive as a recordable device. I decided
    > to take the drive home to see if it was a mechanical problem or a driver
    > problem. I installed his drive into my system running 2000. I'm getting
    > the same problem. The drive shows up properly in device manager as Sony
    > CD-RW CRX215E5, and it can read cds fine, but it will not show up as a
    > recording device in my burning software.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I checked the Sony site, and they do
    > not even include this model number in their list of models. A google search
    > showed a number of entries for people complaining of problems with the drive
    > suddenly not working after working fine for a long time, but nothing like
    > what I'm experiencing. I suspect it's a faulty drive, but am I missing
    > something? Is there anything else I should check, or is there a way to
    > verify it's a hardware problem?

    Download DeepBurner from http://www.deepburner.com. It's a freeware
    burning program with no spyware. If that program does not recognize the
    drive as a recording device, then I'd say it's definitely a faulty
    drive...especially if the same problem has been experienced by other users.

    Personally, I wouldn't spend any more time trying to find a magic fix.
    You can get a 52x32x LiteOn CD-RW for $21 + shipping on newegg.

    Pat, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    That worked. The drive shows up and I can use it fine. I don't know why
    Nero can't see the drive, but as long as I can load DeepBurner on his
    machine and have it work, that'll be good enough for now :)

    Thanks for the help!

    -Breedo_

    Breedo, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Breedo

    AG Guest

    Some versions of Nero only work with specific drives. It's programmed that
    way so you'll have to buy the latest version.

    AG

    AG, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    I didn't realize that (but I suspected it). Good information to know for
    future reference!
    Thanks!

    -Breedo_

    Breedo, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Breedo

    rainman Guest

    It's actually not as bad as that... the outdated versions don't support
    newer drives, because of potential unforseen incompatabilities. Ahead
    (the company that makes Nero) constantly updates all their software to
    support the latest drives as they are released, and offers downloadable
    upgrades that will use your existing serial number to patch your
    software, while still limiting it to the features that you paid for.
    Downloading the latest software and installing it over a licensed
    version will update the drives it supports.

    Rainman

    rainman, Jul 4, 2005