    a 70 - 300 f 4 - 5.6 ED AF Zoom Nikkor. I am not concerned about the price
    differences, but this will probably be my last major camera purchase and I
    want something that will last. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Bill, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Bill

    GT40 Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:50:57 -0500, "Bill" <>
    wrote:

    >I would appreciate opinions on 3 cameras. I am an amateur who enjoys taking
    >pictures of scenery, wildlife, and some sports. I am considering the Canon
    >EOS Rebel, the Nikon D70 and the Nikon Coolpix 8800. With the Canon, I
    >would have the lens that comes with the body and a EF 75 - 300 f4 - 5.6 IS
    >USM lens. With the Nikon, I would have the lens that comes with the kit and
    >a 70 - 300 f 4 - 5.6 ED AF Zoom Nikkor. I am not concerned about the price
    >differences, but this will probably be my last major camera purchase and I
    >want something that will last. Thanks in advance for your help.

    I would rule out the Coolpix. And (I hate to say this) probably the
    Canon Digital Rebel. If you can find a new EOS 10D that would be a
    better choice, or the 20D.

    Out of the camera's you listed I would say the Nikon D70 is your best
    choice, but I would try any find a new Canon 10D and see how that
    price compares to the D70.
    GT40, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Bill

    Dud & Barb Guest

    "GT40" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:50:57 -0500, "Bill" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I would appreciate opinions on 3 cameras. I am an amateur who enjoys

    taking
    > >pictures of scenery, wildlife, and some sports. I am considering the

    Canon
    > >EOS Rebel, the Nikon D70 and the Nikon Coolpix 8800. With the Canon, I
    > >would have the lens that comes with the body and a EF 75 - 300 f4 - 5.6

    IS
    > >USM lens. With the Nikon, I would have the lens that comes with the kit

    and
    > >a 70 - 300 f 4 - 5.6 ED AF Zoom Nikkor. I am not concerned about the

    price
    > >differences, but this will probably be my last major camera purchase and

    > >want something that will last. Thanks in advance for your help.

    > I would rule out the Coolpix. And (I hate to say this) probably the
    > Canon Digital Rebel. If you can find a new EOS 10D that would be a
    > better choice, or the 20D.
    >
    > Out of the camera's you listed I would say the Nikon D70 is your best
    > choice, but I would try any find a new Canon 10D and see how that
    > price compares to the D70.

    I have a Digital Rebel and love it! Only problem is following quick sport
    or wildlife (bird) movements. I would suggest renting the bodies before
    buying. This advice holds true for any film or digital camera.
    Dud & Barb, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Bill

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:50:57 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Bill"
    <> wrote:

    >I would appreciate opinions on 3 cameras. I am an amateur who enjoys taking
    >pictures of scenery, wildlife, and some sports. I am considering the Canon
    >EOS Rebel, the Nikon D70 and the Nikon Coolpix 8800. With the Canon, I
    >would have the lens that comes with the body and a EF 75 - 300 f4 - 5.6 IS
    >USM lens. With the Nikon, I would have the lens that comes with the kit and
    >a 70 - 300 f 4 - 5.6 ED AF Zoom Nikkor. I am not concerned about the price
    >differences, but this will probably be my last major camera purchase and I
    >want something that will last. Thanks in advance for your help.

    I can't/won't speak to the Rebel/D70 choice, but I will on the Coolpix vs
    dSLR choice. I started with a CP-990 and all the converter lenses,then
    moved up to a CP-5700 and all the converters. Just recently I moved up to a
    D70 with kit lens and AF-S 70-200 VR f2.8.

    This is really an apples and oranges comparison. Each gives you something
    the other doesn't, but also gives up something in return. There is no free
    lunch.

    CP
    Pros: Small size, cheaper price for focal length range, real time preview,
    movies, excellent macro capability, available converters
    Cons: Slow turn-on and focus, small sensor has more noise especially at
    higher ISO, slow update of EVF, EVF/LCD useless if you wear highly
    polarized lenses, difficult to manually focus and zoom realtime, adapters
    required to use filters, converters require adapters, higher power
    consumption - battery usage higher

    dSLR
    Pros: Quick turn-on and focus, real-time zoom control, manual focus, higher
    and more sustained burst rate, larger sensor has less noise especially at
    higher ISO, optical viewfinder with DOF preview, larger lens selection,
    standard filter and lens mounting, lower power consumption - batteries last
    longer
    Cons: Larger and more $$ for same focal length range, no preview or movies,
    macro requires another lens, sensor contamination/cleaning

    I'm sure I've missed some others. In the end it's up to you what is
    important and what is not. The engineer in me suggests you try to assign a
    weighting function to each feature wrt how important a feature is to you
    and then try to assess how well each meets that criteria on say a scale of
    1-5. Then in the end apply the infamous gee-whiz factor if it's close, so
    you get the one you really want. :)
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Oct 24, 2004