    i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
    5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
    marv alpert

    marv, Sep 3, 2004

  2. marv

    SS-3 Guest

    "marv" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
    > answers.
    > 1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ
    > 2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?
    > 3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
    > 4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
    > i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
    > 5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
    > marv alpert

    That hideous menu system!! I regret buying the 8080-- hope to sell it soon!

    Have you looked thru the manual that's on the included CD?

    SS-3, Sep 3, 2004

  3. (marv) writes:

    > Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
    > answers.
    > 1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ

    Generally on Olympus cameras, the default is to reset all of the options when
    the camera is turned on. There should be an option to disable this, and
    possibly an option to select which options are reset and which aren't
    (presumably since the 8080 is a high end camera, it would have this option). I
    know Olympus has changed menu systems on the newer cameras, and I don't recall
    what it is in the newer cameras.

    > 2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?

    Unless the file type is TIFF or RAW, the camera puts out JPG issues, unless I'm
    misunderstanding what you ask.

    > 3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
    > 4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
    > i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
    > 5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
    > marv alpert

    I don't know on these.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 3, 2004
  4. marv

    jonalisa Guest

    Michael Meissner <> wrote in message news:<-meissners.org>...
    > (marv) writes:
    >
    > > Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
    > > answers.
    > > 1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ

    > Generally on Olympus cameras, the default is to reset all of the options when
    > the camera is turned on. There should be an option to disable this, and
    > possibly an option to select which options are reset and which aren't
    > (presumably since the 8080 is a high end camera, it would have this option). I
    > know Olympus has changed menu systems on the newer cameras, and I don't recall
    > what it is in the newer cameras.
    >
    > > 2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?

    > Unless the file type is TIFF or RAW, the camera puts out JPG issues, unless I'm
    > misunderstanding what you ask.
    >
    > > 3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
    > > 4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
    > > i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
    > > 5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
    > > marv alpert

    > I don't know on these.

    The problem regarding default menu settings is one I saw on a camera
    review at:

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus-c8080.shtml

    Here's the info:
    Because the default mode of the camera is to reset all of the camera's
    shooting parameters whenever it is turned off. Buried in the Setup
    menu, on the second level along with the adjustment for the BEEP
    sound, is found — ALL RESET — with the default being ON. This means
    that all settings are always reset every time the camera powers down.
    Of course this is explained somewhere in the manual, but it seems to
    me to be the opposite of what most users would want as a default mode.

    jonalisa, Sep 8, 2004
  5. (jonalisa) writes:

    > The problem regarding default menu settings is one I saw on a camera
    > review at:
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus-c8080.shtml
    >
    > Here's the info:
    > Because the default mode of the camera is to reset all of the camera's
    > shooting parameters whenever it is turned off. Buried in the Setup
    > menu, on the second level along with the adjustment for the BEEP
    > sound, is found 'ALL RESET' with the default being ON. This means
    > that all settings are always reset every time the camera powers down.
    > Of course this is explained somewhere in the manual, but it seems to
    > me to be the opposite of what most users would want as a default mode.

    I can see both sides of the argument. Imagine a newbie who presses buttons
    randomly, and gets into say macro mode and the camera won't focus at normal
    distances. If he/she turns off the camera, and turns it back on, then setting
    macro mode will be reset, and the camera will take pictures again. Yeah, I
    wish the default had been the other way, but it isn't a big deal once you know
    the option is there.

    BTW, that review confirmed the opinion that I had been forming in reading some
    of his previous stuff, that Michael Reichman is somewhat of a flake,
    particularly the part about downgrading a camera because it was clumsy if he
    was wearing gloves, but mentioned the glove test on no other camera review.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 8, 2004
  6. marv

    Alfred Molon Guest

    marv <> wrote:
    >Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
    >answers.
    >1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ

    Either disable All Reset in SETUP, or use a MyMode (as I do). Create a
    Mymode with the format set to SHQ.

    >2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?

    See above.

    >3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?

    Haven't tried that, but I think it switches off faster the LCD screen
    and goes faster into sleep mode.

    >4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
    >i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups

    For action you'll need short exposure times and will either need large
    apertures or higher ISO levels. Also, it might make sense to use manual
    focus, i.e. lock the focus.

    >5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
    >marv alpert

    By the way, there is an Olympus 8080 users group (address below).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 8, 2004