help with c-media AC97 sound on ECS K7S5A Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pamelalee383@hotmail.com, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    using Windows XP Pro.
     
    , Jul 20, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mcploppy © Guest

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 20, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Scooby Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:53:28 +0100, "Mcploppy ©"
    <> wrote:

    > bashed at the keyboard and said..:
    >
    >> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >> using Windows XP Pro.

    >
    >Hi,
    >Try here:
    >ftp://ftp.ecs.com.tw/driver/sound/cmedia/9739_512_xp.zip
    >
    >HTH


    Thanks for the file, but didnt help. I should have included that I
    flashed to the latest bios, which it already had by the way, and used
    every single ac97 driver i could find with no luck. I also tried
    unisnstalling everying in sound an video while in xp and in safe mode
    in xp, then re-starting and re-installing. Now the only thing that
    shows up in sound is the ac97, the video code and legacy support and
    such are no longer there.
     
    Scooby, Jul 20, 2003
    #3
  4. Scooby Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:53:28 +0100, "Mcploppy ©"
    <> wrote:

    > bashed at the keyboard and said..:
    >
    >> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >> using Windows XP Pro.

    >
    >Hi,
    >Try here:
    >ftp://ftp.ecs.com.tw/driver/sound/cmedia/9739_512_xp.zip
    >
    >HTH


    Sorry, dont know whats goin on with agent, anyhow,
    Thanks for the file, but didnt help. I should have included that I
    flashed to the latest bios, which it already had by the way, and used
    every single ac97 driver i could find with no luck. I also tried
    unisnstalling everying in sound an video while in xp and in safe mode
    in xp, then re-starting and re-installing. Now the only thing that
    shows up in sound is the ac97, the video code and legacy support and
    such are no longer there.
     
    Scooby, Jul 20, 2003
    #4
  5. Mcploppy © Guest

    Scooby bashed at the keyboard and said..:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:53:28 +0100, "Mcploppy ©"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> bashed at the keyboard and said..:
    >>
    >>> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >>> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the
    >>> sound. I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do.
    >>> I am using Windows XP Pro.

    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> Try here:
    >> ftp://ftp.ecs.com.tw/driver/sound/cmedia/9739_512_xp.zip
    >>
    >> HTH

    >
    > Sorry, dont know whats goin on with agent, anyhow,
    > Thanks for the file, but didnt help. I should have included that I
    > flashed to the latest bios, which it already had by the way, and used
    > every single ac97 driver i could find with no luck. I also tried
    > unisnstalling everying in sound an video while in xp and in safe mode
    > in xp, then re-starting and re-installing. Now the only thing that
    > shows up in sound is the ac97, the video code and legacy support and
    > such are no longer there.


    Have a look in the BIOS for onboard Sound.... it may be disabled.... ??
    Not sure ...worth a look anyway
     
    Mcploppy ©, Jul 20, 2003
    #5
  6. Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:34:48 -0500, In this world we created
    wrote :

    >I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >using Windows XP Pro.


    The AC97/Midi and game port must be enabled in the BIOS.
    Also try here,
    http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
    HTH :)



    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    Free songs download,
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html
     
    Shep©, Jul 20, 2003
    #6
  7. Ava Keech Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:34:48 -0500, wrote:

    >I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >using Windows XP Pro.


    I have a board like that. And I hang out in the ECS newsgroup. The general
    opinion is to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and get yourself a sound
    card. Less problems and better sound when done that way.
     
    Ava Keech, Jul 20, 2003
    #7
  8. Joel Rubin Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:34:48 -0500, wrote:

    >I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >using Windows XP Pro.


    Have you tried to download the drivers from www.ecsusa.com? (or
    another of ECS' sites)

    There seem to be several versions of the K755A motherboard some of
    which have different sound drivers. Are you sure you have the right
    version of the motherboard.
     
    Joel Rubin, Jul 20, 2003
    #8
  9. paul s Guest

    wrote:

    > I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    > motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    > I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    > using Windows XP Pro.


    Try here:

    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm
    --
    Paul S
     
    paul s, Jul 20, 2003
    #9
  10. Scooby Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:53:58 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    wrote:

    >X-No-Archive: Yes
    > said:
    >
    >> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >> using Windows XP Pro.

    >
    >Have you loaded the drivers with the "Mainboard" and "Multimedia Software"
    >discs?
    >And have you turned on AC97 support in BIOS?


    It is enable in the bios, and I have loaded the drivers from the cd,
    and from every other ac97 driver i found on the ecs website, yet still
    no luck. I know the speakers work right, they are brand new Altec
    Lansing ATP3 Speakers, I hooked them up to my GBA (only thing I had)
    headphone jack and the sound worked fine. I bought it from fry's on a
    discount motherboard and processor combo, but I made sure to get one
    of the few that were not returns. It is an ecs k7s5a pro, but i have
    no clue what revision.
     
    Scooby, Jul 20, 2003
    #10
  11. Brian H¹© Guest

    X-No-Archive: Yes
    Scooby said:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:53:58 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> X-No-Archive: Yes
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >>> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >>> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >>> using Windows XP Pro.

    >>
    >> Have you loaded the drivers with the "Mainboard" and "Multimedia Software"
    >> discs?
    >> And have you turned on AC97 support in BIOS?

    >
    > It is enable in the bios, and I have loaded the drivers from the cd,
    > and from every other ac97 driver i found on the ecs website, yet still
    > no luck. I know the speakers work right, they are brand new Altec
    > Lansing ATP3 Speakers, I hooked them up to my GBA (only thing I had)
    > headphone jack and the sound worked fine. I bought it from fry's on a
    > discount motherboard and processor combo, but I made sure to get one
    > of the few that were not returns. It is an ecs k7s5a pro, but i have
    > no clue what revision.


    Do away with ac97 and just get a decent soundcard, it was one of the first
    things I got rid of when I bought my ECS mobo.

    You can get belarc and/or aida32 from my software page for system details.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/ad-aware/aaw6181.exe ver 6 build 181
    Uninstall previous version prior to installing this version.
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/ad-aware/reflist.ref 01R203 20.07.2003
     
    Brian H¹©, Jul 20, 2003
    #11
  12. Scooby Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:02:16 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    wrote:

    >X-No-Archive: Yes
    > Scooby said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:53:58 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> X-No-Archive: Yes
    >>> said:
    >>>
    >>>> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >>>> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >>>> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >>>> using Windows XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Have you loaded the drivers with the "Mainboard" and "Multimedia Software"
    >>> discs?
    >>> And have you turned on AC97 support in BIOS?

    >>
    >> It is enable in the bios, and I have loaded the drivers from the cd,
    >> and from every other ac97 driver i found on the ecs website, yet still
    >> no luck. I know the speakers work right, they are brand new Altec
    >> Lansing ATP3 Speakers, I hooked them up to my GBA (only thing I had)
    >> headphone jack and the sound worked fine. I bought it from fry's on a
    >> discount motherboard and processor combo, but I made sure to get one
    >> of the few that were not returns. It is an ecs k7s5a pro, but i have
    >> no clue what revision.

    >
    >Do away with ac97 and just get a decent soundcard, it was one of the first
    >things I got rid of when I bought my ECS mobo.
    >
    >You can get belarc and/or aida32 from my software page for system details.


    ok, thanks, i might end up buying her a 20 dollar sound blaster card,
    and i forgot about belarc. one more thing if yall dont mind. I
    installed a Smart & silent Volcano 9 cooler. I know it is a bit
    overboard for a 2000+, but it was the only good one I could find other
    than on the internet. I installed it using the temperature sensor,
    and from the bios readings it says teh fan is spinning at around 4100
    rpm, and the cpu is about 34 degrees celcius. their specs say at 20
    degrees it should be 1300 rpm, and at 55 degrees it should be 4800
    rpm. I am wondering if there is someing I missed, like i read there
    is a plasic wrapping that was a bit too thick on the thermostat with
    their volcano 9 coolmod version. I had to also put the termporature
    sensor a little off center because the rubber around the wires was a
    bit too long and would have gotten in the way of the chip going down
    correctly. Also, any good programs to tell you the fan speeds, heat,
    etc.?
     
    Scooby, Jul 20, 2003
    #12
  13. Scooby Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:26:14 -0500, Scooby <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:02:16 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>X-No-Archive: Yes
    >> Scooby said:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:53:58 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> X-No-Archive: Yes
    >>>> said:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >>>>> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >>>>> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >>>>> using Windows XP Pro.
    >>>>
    >>>> Have you loaded the drivers with the "Mainboard" and "Multimedia Software"
    >>>> discs?
    >>>> And have you turned on AC97 support in BIOS?
    >>>
    >>> It is enable in the bios, and I have loaded the drivers from the cd,
    >>> and from every other ac97 driver i found on the ecs website, yet still
    >>> no luck. I know the speakers work right, they are brand new Altec
    >>> Lansing ATP3 Speakers, I hooked them up to my GBA (only thing I had)
    >>> headphone jack and the sound worked fine. I bought it from fry's on a
    >>> discount motherboard and processor combo, but I made sure to get one
    >>> of the few that were not returns. It is an ecs k7s5a pro, but i have
    >>> no clue what revision.

    >>
    >>Do away with ac97 and just get a decent soundcard, it was one of the first
    >>things I got rid of when I bought my ECS mobo.
    >>
    >>You can get belarc and/or aida32 from my software page for system details.

    >
    >ok, thanks, i might end up buying her a 20 dollar sound blaster card,
    >and i forgot about belarc. one more thing if yall dont mind. I
    >installed a Smart & silent Volcano 9 cooler. I know it is a bit
    >overboard for a 2000+, but it was the only good one I could find other
    >than on the internet. I installed it using the temperature sensor,
    >and from the bios readings it says teh fan is spinning at around 4100
    >rpm, and the cpu is about 34 degrees celcius. their specs say at 20
    >degrees it should be 1300 rpm, and at 55 degrees it should be 4800
    >rpm. I am wondering if there is someing I missed, like i read there
    >is a plasic wrapping that was a bit too thick on the thermostat with
    >their volcano 9 coolmod version. I had to also put the termporature
    >sensor a little off center because the rubber around the wires was a
    >bit too long and would have gotten in the way of the chip going down
    >correctly. Also, any good programs to tell you the fan speeds, heat,
    >etc.?



    ok, well, this is better, I upped the cpu and frequency to 133/133,
    now my computer reports its an amd 2000+ running at 1.66ghz compared
    to what it was reporting as amd athlon running at 1.2ghz. my other
    question besides if i should take off the heatsink now that i have it
    on good and look at the termperature sensor, is, should i push the cpu
    frequency up to 166, or just leave it where it is for stability
    reasons.
     
    Scooby, Jul 20, 2003
    #13
  14. Brian H¹© Guest

    X-No-Archive: Yes
    Scooby said:

    (snip)
    >
    >
    > ok, well, this is better, I upped the cpu and frequency to 133/133,
    > now my computer reports its an amd 2000+ running at 1.66ghz compared
    > to what it was reporting as amd athlon running at 1.2ghz. my other
    > question besides if i should take off the heatsink now that i have it
    > on good and look at the termperature sensor, is, should i push the cpu
    > frequency up to 166, or just leave it where it is for stability
    > reasons.


    See how it runs for a few days at the present setting, then try at 166 to see
    how it reacts.
    If the pc fails to boot properly, or crashes shortly after loading windows, drop
    back to 133/133.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/ad-aware/aaw6181.exe ver 6 build 181
    Uninstall previous version prior to installing this version.
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/ad-aware/reflist.ref 01R203 20.07.2003
     
    Brian H¹©, Jul 20, 2003
    #14
  15. Scooby Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:52:59 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> I just build my g/f a computer using the ECS Elitegroup K7S5A Pro
    >> motherboard. Everything is working great so far except for the sound.
    >> I cannot seem to get the sound to work no matter what I do. I am
    >> using Windows XP Pro.

    >
    > Well, my K7S5A, which the box said was a C-Media, actually had a SiS
    >7012 for the sound chip. Which was a different set of drivers.
    >
    > I'd eyeball the small square chip back behind the slots, and see if
    >it's a C-Media, a SiS, or something else ...
    >
    > RwP
    >


    Thanks for teh info, I will look next time i get into her computer. I
    just bought a 20 dollar Philips Seismic Edge psc705 sound card for
    her. Works good, im sure better than the onboard anyhow.
     
    Scooby, Jul 26, 2003
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. larry.fatcat

    Bios ECS (elite) K7S5A

    larry.fatcat, Dec 1, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    4,477
    Buffalo
    Dec 6, 2003
  2. BNightly

    processor for ECS k7s5a (v 1.0) Motherboard

    BNightly, Jan 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    10,852
  3. geishaslave
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    14,240
    Opczar
    Sep 7, 2006
  4. geishaslave
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    875
    Jeff Estes
    Jun 19, 2005
  5. bardeban

    BIOS upgrade for ECS K7S5A rev.5.0 motherboard

    bardeban, Oct 11, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    758
    Buffalo
    Oct 11, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page