    have now. But will I see a significant increase in performance? Maybe I
    should just keep the crappy computer I have know and wait until I can get
    more money...

    HellFire, Jan 9, 2005

  2. HellFire

    Thor Guest

    "HellFire" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95D8F18D9C3BDDamnit@216.77.188.18...
    >I currently have a crappy Gateway 433 mhz intel celeron with 384 dimm ram.
    > That I brought 6 years ago. It's extremely slow. I can barely do simple
    > tasks with it. I have my eye on this computer:
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3340268&cat=164457
    > &type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A180998 I know it's not
    > the best out there but it's all I can afford and it's better than the one
    > have now. But will I see a significant increase in performance? Maybe I
    > should just keep the crappy computer I have know and wait until I can get
    > more money...

    well, even though that HP is pretty much a bottom-of-the-line computer in
    today's market, it's still inherently much more powerful than what you
    currently have, even though you have 384MB of RAM versus it's 256. As for
    whether you'll see significant difference, well that really depends on
    things like what you actually use the computer for, and why yours seems slow
    to you. Yours could be loaded up with all manner of background apps, or
    spyware, and a simple good thorough tune-up by a professional may make a
    world of difference. Not enough to compare equally with the new machine, but
    perhaps enough to erase the need to get a new computer. HP tends to load up
    their computers with some needless background apps as well, so right out of
    the box, they usually don't run as well as they really could. Add a bunch
    more background crap to them, and they could sit there crawling along like
    your present machine.

    Thor, Jan 9, 2005

  3. HellFire

    CLV3 Guest

    "HellFire" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have a crappy Gateway 433 mhz intel celeron with 384 dimm ram.
    > That I brought 6 years ago. It's extremely slow. I can barely do simple
    > tasks with it. I have my eye on this computer:
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3340268&cat=164457
    > &type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A180998 I know it's not
    > the best out there but it's all I can afford and it's better than the one

    > have now. But will I see a significant increase in performance? Maybe I
    > should just keep the crappy computer I have know and wait until I can get
    > more money...

    One thing you did not mention to us is what you plan on using it for. In any
    case, I honestly recomend people to stay away from Compaq and HP machines.
    They are usually a pain to upgrade and provide even worse cumstomer service.
    I also never saw the value in buying computers from WAL-Mart. Normally the
    "electronics associates" I have head the displeasure of dealing with or
    overhearing with other customers really don't seem to have a clue. If you
    are going to buy a computer from a shop, look for one that you won't mind
    keeping for a few years. HP Pavilions from my experience are shit computers.

    CLV3, Jan 9, 2005
  4. HellFire

    Wizard Guest

    The worst kind of trash ...

    Wizard, Jan 9, 2005
  5. HellFire

    Guest

    since you're not building it yourself you don't have control over the
    makes of component, they don't tell you in the spec.

    I think you should go for a company that is well known for good support
    and offers good prices, like Dell. Dell is the only one i've heard
    good reports from!

    celeron is a bit old and crap. Better to get a P4.

    , Jan 9, 2005
  6. HellFire

    HellFire Guest

    > One thing you did not mention to us is what you plan on using it for.

    I use my computer to watch movies and listen to mp3s mostly. Divx movies
    play kind slow. Each time they come out with a new version of Divx, it
    requires more and more processing power. I use itunes to play mp3s. My
    computer kind of lags a bit when I play them. I also use it for encoding
    dvd movies to vcd. it takes about 7-8 hours to encode. When I access a file
    I hear a lot of hard drive grinding noise too. It's been this way sice I
    first bought it. I don't play high processer demanding games on it, just
    snes games.

    HellFire, Jan 9, 2005
  7. HellFire

    effi Guest

    "HellFire" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have a crappy Gateway 433 mhz intel celeron with 384 dimm ram.
    > That I brought 6 years ago. It's extremely slow. I can barely do simple
    > tasks with it. I have my eye on this computer:
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3340268&cat=164457
    > &type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A180998 I know it's not
    > the best out there but it's all I can afford and it's better than the one
    > have now. But will I see a significant increase in performance? Maybe I
    > should just keep the crappy computer I have know and wait until I can get
    > more money...

    you answered your own question..."it's all I can afford..."

    go for it, you won't believe how much faster it is than your current
    machine, it will be a night and day difference

    the ram is expandable to 2gb if you want to do so later

    effi, Jan 10, 2005
  8. HellFire

    Guest

    Just heard a load of reports on the newsgroup that Dell's support are
    now GARBAGE!

    , Jan 11, 2005