help with building a wm9/mpeg4/h.264 compatible htpc

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John Nash, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. John Nash

    John Nash Guest

    Hi guys,

    I would be very grateful if I could get some support in building a htpc/pvr
    box.
    I intend to build it on an old AMD 900 mHz pc and:

    1. Control the box via ethernet (cable) from another computer.
    2. Record TV programs the htpc HDD.
    3. Play video files in various formats from the htpc HDD on TV.

    After a lot of research I found:

    As TV tuner-pvr cards:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr250.html
    http://www.yuan.com.tw/en/products/vdo_mpg480.html
    (the problem with the last one is that I cannot find any place to buy it in
    Europe - maybe someone could help me with this also - it has a build in
    mpeg1/2/4 hardware encoder + decoder!).

    Hardware video decoder cards:
    http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

    In the process of searching for streaming solutions on a home network I
    found this device that has the same price as the above mentioned cards taken
    together and will do exactly what I want and moreover will play wm9 format:

    Network DVD Player "AVeL LinkPlayer2" (WMV&USB2.0) AVLP2/DVDLA
    http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2/DVDLA
    (again I cannot buy it in Europe yet).

    Any suggestions?

    Has anyone heard about some h.264 decoder cards (for streaming h.264
    content)? Is this fromat really better in terms of compression than wm9 or
    other mpeg4 format? Is it such that I can h.264(or wm9) encode a video (a dv
    capture avi file) at 720x576 resolution at a cbr of 4000 kbs and have the
    same quality as an mpeg2 at 8000 kbs?

    Thank you,
    John

    John Nash, Oct 31, 2004