Help with Broadband

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Zap Eagle, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
    company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb and I
    was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
    highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our speeds
    at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
    obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking at
    cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing the
    router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement. I
    then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was fast
    (near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will not
    go above 800kb.

    He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has Norton
    Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
    also to check for crap.

    Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously something
    in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!

    Thanks,

    Zap Eagle, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Zap Eagle wrote:
    > A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
    > company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb and I
    > was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
    > highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our speeds
    > at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
    > obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking at
    > cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing the
    > router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement. I
    > then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was fast
    > (near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will not
    > go above 800kb.
    >
    > He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has Norton
    > Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
    > also to check for crap.
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously something
    > in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!
    >

    > Thanks,

    You wouldn't happen to have a 10/100 ethernet port and your friend
    only have a 10?

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 18, 2004

  3. > You wouldn't happen to have a 10/100 ethernet port and your friend
    > only have a 10?

    I thought 10/100 was in mb's not kb's
    also, you are testing the line between you and the servers on dslreports at
    anypoint along the way, there could be a bottleneck, not anything to do with
    ur line..
    Are you on 1meg line? Ifyou can download a file at around 120kbps, ur line
    is working fine.
    try http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ 's speed test

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Apr 18, 2004
  4. Zap Eagle

    pcbutts1 Guest

    His hardware (nic) is crap.

    pcbutts1, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Zap Eagle

    Phil Guest

    "Zap Eagle" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
    > company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb

    ..oO(If only)

    Phil, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Zap Eagle

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Very possible - "budget" NICs are not always well-behaved. Try putting in an
    Intel or 3Com or other good card and see if it gets better.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Zap Eagle

    Bill Guest

    Go to tweak test at www.dslreports.com & use dr tcp .
    His win 98 o/s is set for dial-up and xp is more lan friendly.

    --
    Bill

    Bill, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    Thanks to you all, at least I have more things to try for them.

    Zap Eagle, Apr 19, 2004