    simple, step by step welcome!
    Cheers
    Ant

    news.btinternet.com, Sep 18, 2007

  2. news.btinternet.com

    Mike Easter Guest

    news.btinternet.com wrote:

    > 2 divided by square root of 10 gets us to square root of 10 divided
    > by 5.

    Multiply the numerator & denominator by the square root of ten and then
    reduce the fraction 2/10 to 1/5.

    For easy ascii, let the square root of 10 be expressed as R

    2/R X R/R = 2R/Rsquared

    The square root of 10 squared is 10.

    2R/10 = R/5 or the square root of 10 divided by 5.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 18, 2007

  3. news.btinternet.com

    meerkat Guest

    "news.btinternet.com" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > my kid is doing maths and I am watching over but absolutely useless.
    > we have a problem and the answer and trying to find the way to the
    > answer.
    > we manages most of the questions but one I just cannot get.
    >
    > 2 divided by square root of 10 gets us to square root of 10 divided
    > by 5.
    >
    > How on earth did the square root go from bottom to top......
    > simple, step by step welcome!
    > Cheers
    > Ant

    square root(10) = 3.16227766

    so 2 divided by etc

    Bookmark this site for his maths
    http://www.google.com/search?q=define square root(10) = 3.16227766

    meerkat, Sep 18, 2007
  4. Hi,
    Many thanks.... surprisingly enough... I understood your explanation!
    Am very good at French if that can help one day!
    Ant

    news.btinternet.com, Sep 18, 2007
  5. news.btinternet.com

    who'sthat Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:58:17 +0100, "news.btinternet.com"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >my kid is doing maths and I am watching over but absolutely useless.
    >we have a problem and the answer and trying to find the way to the answer.
    >we manages most of the questions but one I just cannot get.
    >
    >2 divided by square root of 10 gets us to square root of 10 divided by 5.
    >
    >How on earth did the square root go from bottom to top......
    >simple, step by step welcome!
    >Cheers
    >Ant

    I find it hard to believe your kid is doing maths(?) (with his math
    book) and there isn't an example.
    http://www.curriki.org

    who'sthat, Sep 18, 2007
  6. There are some examples of basic simplification, but out of the 20
    exercices, this one elluded us.....
    sorry if we are not perfect at Math!!!

    news.btinternet.com, Sep 18, 2007
  7. news.btinternet.com

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:44:17 -0500, who'sthat
    <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

    >I find it hard to believe your kid is doing maths(?) (with his math
    >book) and there isn't an example.
    >http://www.curriki.org

    I believe 'maths' is a limey expression.

    Evan Platt, Sep 18, 2007
  8. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:44:17 -0500, who'sthat
    > <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I find it hard to believe your kid is doing maths(?) (with his

    math
    >>book) and there isn't an example.
    >>http://www.curriki.org

    > I believe 'maths' is a limey expression.

    Yes, they come in all colors and sizes over there.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 18, 2007
  9. news.btinternet.com

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-18, news.btinternet.com <> wrote:
    > There are some examples of basic simplification, but out of the 20
    > exercices, this one elluded us.....
    > sorry if we are not perfect at Math!!!

    Now I'm puzzled; why is

    "the square root of 10, divided by 5"

    'simpler' than

    "2, divided by the square root of 10"?

    There might be some point in being given

    2 ÷ X = X ÷ 5

    and being asked to find the value of X; or even being asked to 'prove'
    that the two expressions have the same value. But both expressions are
    equally 'simple' as far as I can see.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 18, 2007
  10. news.btinternet.com

    who'sthat Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:51:40 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2007-09-18, news.btinternet.com <> wrote:
    >> There are some examples of basic simplification, but out of the 20
    >> exercices, this one elluded us.....
    >> sorry if we are not perfect at Math!!!

    >Now I'm puzzled; why is
    >
    > "the square root of 10, divided by 5"
    >
    >'simpler' than
    >
    > "2, divided by the square root of 10"?
    >
    >There might be some point in being given
    >
    > 2 ÷ X = X ÷ 5
    >
    >and being asked to find the value of X; or even being asked to 'prove'
    >that the two expressions have the same value. But both expressions are
    >equally 'simple' as far as I can see.

    Looks solved to me. I'll ask my daughter when she gets in

    who'sthat, Sep 18, 2007
  11. news.btinternet.com

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > Now I'm puzzled; why is
    >
    > "the square root of 10, divided by 5"
    >
    > 'simpler' than
    >
    > "2, divided by the square root of 10"?

    Because it is easier to calculate it to a million places?
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/htmltest/gifcity/sqrt10.1mil What follows
    are the first 1 million digits of the square root of 10.

    That is, if I had to calculate a value to a million places, I would much
    rather be dividing *into* a million place value with 5 than dividing 2
    by a million place figure and calculated to a million places.

    However, in the case of 10 and a decimal system, we could take a short
    cut and just mulitply 2x the *reciprocal* of the square root of 10,
    which is the same million digits with the decimal place moved over to
    the left.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 18, 2007
  12. news.btinternet.com

    Mandy Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:44:17 -0500, who'sthat
    > <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I find it hard to believe your kid is doing maths(?) (with his math
    >>book) and there isn't an example.
    >>http://www.curriki.org

    > I believe 'maths' is a limey expression.

    Yes, it's short for mathematics....

    Mandy, Sep 18, 2007
  13. It was on, or about, Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:42:15 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:44:17 -0500, who'sthat <who'sthat@don'tknow.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I find it hard to believe your kid is doing maths(?) (with his

    > math
    >>>book) and there isn't an example.
    >>>http://www.curriki.org

    >> I believe 'maths' is a limey expression.

    > Yes, they come in all colors and sizes over there.

    That's because the word is 'mathematics' not 'mathematic'.

    William Poaster, Sep 18, 2007
  14. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:44:17 -0500, who'sthat
    > <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I find it hard to believe your kid is doing maths(?) (with his math
    >>book) and there isn't an example.
    >>http://www.curriki.org

    > I believe 'maths' is a limey expression.

    That is correct, Yank.

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0

    William Poaster, Sep 18, 2007
  15. William Poaster wrote:

    > It was on, or about, Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:42:15 +0000, that as I
    > was halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >> math
    >>>
    >>> I believe 'maths' is a limey expression.

    >> Yes, they come in all colors and sizes over there.

    > That's because the word is 'mathematics' not 'mathematic'.

    I'm fully aware of "mathematics". :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 18, 2007
  16. news.btinternet.com

    Mara Guest

    On 18 Sep 2007 22:41:21 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> It was on, or about, Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:42:15 +0000, that as I
    >> was halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark
    >> wrote:

    >>> math

    >>> Yes, they come in all colors and sizes over there.

    >> That's because the word is 'mathematics' not 'mathematic'.

    >I'm fully aware of "mathematics". :)

    And I'm fully aware that the word "limey" is a stereotypical epithet. :)

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Sep 19, 2007
  17. news.btinternet.com

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-18, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> Now I'm puzzled; why is
    >>
    >> "the square root of 10, divided by 5"
    >>
    >> 'simpler' than
    >>
    >> "2, divided by the square root of 10"?

    > Because it is easier to calculate it to a million places?
    > http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/htmltest/gifcity/sqrt10.1mil What follows
    > are the first 1 million digits of the square root of 10.
    >
    > That is, if I had to calculate a value to a million places, I would much
    > rather be dividing *into* a million place value with 5 than dividing 2
    > by a million place figure and calculated to a million places.

    I'll be in touch next time I need that doing, then!

    > However, in the case of 10 and a decimal system, we could take a short
    > cut and just mulitply 2x the *reciprocal* of the square root of 10,
    > which is the same million digits with the decimal place moved over to
    > the left.

    <smile> A million decimal places isn't what I call simple; for root ten
    I'm happy with 'three and a bit' although I can 'iterate' in my head if I
    need two or three decimals. I don't need the raw number often enough to
    have memorised a value for it. But then I'm not trying to plot ballistic
    trajectories across the solar system or build nuclear reactors :))

    Perhaps the real lesson is that 'some numbers are pretty weird'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2007
  18. news.btinternet.com

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> the first 1 million digits of the square root of 10.

    > Perhaps the real lesson is that 'some numbers are pretty weird'.

    Transcendental has a nice ring to it. Like Zen. Irrational sounds
    zany.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 19, 2007
  19. Mara wrote:

    > On 18 Sep 2007 22:41:21 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> It was on, or about, Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:42:15 +0000, that as
    >>> I was halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark

    >>> That's because the word is 'mathematics' not 'mathematic'.

    >>I'm fully aware of "mathematics". :)

    > And I'm fully aware that the word "limey" is a stereotypical
    > epithet. :)

    And I'm fully aware that I didn't use it.

    Even though it's not any more derogatory in and of itself than
    "Yank". "Limey" derives from the Royal Navy's discovery that on
    long voyages there was much less scurvy, which was a huge problem,
    if the crews were given a healthy ration of limes (for the citric
    acid).

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 19, 2007
  20. news.btinternet.com

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Even though it's not any more derogatory in and of itself than
    > "Yank". "Limey" derives from the Royal Navy's discovery that on
    > long voyages there was much less scurvy, which was a huge problem,
    > if the crews were given a healthy ration of limes (for the citric
    > acid).

    I suppose any term could be derogatory or not derogatory depending upon
    the context and 'attitude' with which it is delivered; my friends in
    the US who are Brits and who are also called 'limey' do not find it
    derogatory at all. It seems to be like Oz or Kiwi for Aussies and
    NZers.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 19, 2007