help with backing up certain files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MB_, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Perhaps some of you folks have a good way to do this.

    I have a folder called Documents. This includes, at this point, hundreds of
    files (and also about 7 sub-folders, each containing about 30 files).

    Now, from time-to-time I back up important stuff. Basically, I have a file
    called documents on my removable media and I just generally delete the
    back-up folder documents and then just copy the whole mess from my hard
    drive and paste it to my removable drive.

    There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10 minutes to
    do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying maybe 650 files,
    where there are probably only 15-20 files that have been changed since the
    last b/u.

    Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an easy way
    to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like that (then I
    could do this every month or so).

    Mel

    MB_, Nov 23, 2004

  2. MB_

    °Mike° Guest

    Try Karen's Replicator:
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:00:13 -0500, in
    <5QNod.8$>
    MB_ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004

  3. MB_

    Willard Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > Perhaps some of you folks have a good way to do this.
    >
    > I have a folder called Documents. This includes, at this point, hundreds of
    > files (and also about 7 sub-folders, each containing about 30 files).
    >
    > Now, from time-to-time I back up important stuff. Basically, I have a file
    > called documents on my removable media and I just generally delete the
    > back-up folder documents and then just copy the whole mess from my hard
    > drive and paste it to my removable drive.
    >
    > There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10 minutes to
    > do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying maybe 650 files,
    > where there are probably only 15-20 files that have been changed since the
    > last b/u.
    >
    > Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an easy way
    > to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like that (then I
    > could do this every month or so).
    >
    > Mel

    You might try XXCOPY:

    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm#toc

    Willard

    Willard, Nov 23, 2004
  4. MB_

    PC Guest

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    > Perhaps some of you folks have a good way to do this.
    >
    > I have a folder called Documents. This includes, at this point, hundreds
    > of
    > files (and also about 7 sub-folders, each containing about 30 files).
    >
    > Now, from time-to-time I back up important stuff. Basically, I have a file
    > called documents on my removable media and I just generally delete the
    > back-up folder documents and then just copy the whole mess from my hard
    > drive and paste it to my removable drive.
    >
    > There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10 minutes
    > do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying maybe 650 files,
    > where there are probably only 15-20 files that have been changed since the
    > last b/u.
    >
    > Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an easy
    > way
    > to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like that (then I
    > could do this every month or so).
    >
    > Mel

    MS backup, and it comes with Windows.

    From Backup's help file
    The Backup utility supports five methods of backing up data on your computer
    or network.

    Copy backup

    A copy backup copies all selected files but does not mark each file as
    having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not
    cleared). Copying is useful if you want to back up files between normal and
    incremental backups because copying does not affect these other backup
    operations.

    Daily backup

    A daily backup copies all selected files that have been modified the day the
    daily backup is performed. The backed-up files are not marked as having been
    backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared).

    Differential backup

    A differential backup copies files created or changed since the last normal
    or incremental backup. It does not mark files as having been backed up (in
    other words, the archive attribute is not cleared). If you are performing a
    combination of normal and differential backups, restoring files and folders
    requires that you have the last normal as well as the last differential
    backup.

    Incremental backup

    An incremental backup backs up only those files created or changed since the
    last normal or incremental backup. It marks files as having been backed up
    (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). If you use a combination
    of normal and incremental backups, you will need to have the last normal
    backup set as well as all incremental backup sets in order to restore your
    data.

    Normal backup

    A normal backup copies all selected files and marks each file as having been
    backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). With normal
    backups, you need only the most recent copy of the backup file or tape to
    restore all of the files. You usually perform a normal backup the first time
    you create a backup set.

    (Accessories, System tools or on your OS CD if it's not installed)

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Nov 24, 2004
  5. MB_

    gust Guest

    > There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10
    > minutes to do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying
    > maybe 650 files, where there are probably only 15-20 files that have
    > been changed since the last b/u.
    >
    > Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an
    > easy way to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like
    > that (then I could do this every month or so).
    >
    > Mel

    this works really well

    http://www.centered.com/

    gust, Nov 24, 2004