Help with an obstinate file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bad guy, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. bad guy

    bad guy Guest

    I downloaded a file and now canot delete it. I have reason t obelieve
    it has been sabotaged deliberately.

    I cannot delete it or send it to the Recycle bin. An error box ocmes
    up saying

    " Cannot delete Quickfile: access is denied.
    make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is
    not currently in use."

    Right clicking in Windows explorer show no check marks in "Read only,
    archive, or hidden.

    Ctrl-Alt-Delete window shows nothing resembling this file in use.

    Another program which shows current processes does not show it in use.

    I cannot delete it from an MS-Dos prompt or after booting to DOS.

    I cannot delete the folder it is in from Windows Explorer or Dos
    prompt. It returns the same grey error box. as above.

    I tried to open it in a hex editor and it returns this error

    "Quickfile is in use or read only. It is opened for read only. No
    changes possible."

    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

    I'm about ready to start sacrificing chickens and dancing around
    the campfire.

    George
    bad guy, Jun 13, 2005

  2. bad guy

    old jon Guest

    "bad guy" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded a file and now canot delete it. I have reason t obelieve
    > it has been sabotaged deliberately.
    >
    > I cannot delete it or send it to the Recycle bin. An error box ocmes
    > up saying
    >
    > " Cannot delete Quickfile: access is denied.
    > make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is
    > not currently in use."
    >

    > Right clicking in Windows explorer show no check marks in "Read only,
    > archive, or hidden.
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-Delete window shows nothing resembling this file in use.
    >
    > Another program which shows current processes does not show it in use.
    >
    > I cannot delete it from an MS-Dos prompt or after booting to DOS.
    >
    > I cannot delete the folder it is in from Windows Explorer or Dos
    > prompt. It returns the same grey error box. as above.
    >
    > I tried to open it in a hex editor and it returns this error
    >
    > "Quickfile is in use or read only. It is opened for read only. No
    > changes possible."
    >
    > Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I'm about ready to start sacrificing chickens and dancing around
    > the campfire.
    >
    > George

    Hi G. looks like this might have something to do with it. bw..J
    www.addins4outlook.com/QuickFile/default.htm .
    old jon, Jun 13, 2005

  3. bad guy

    Falcon Guest

    Try googling for killbox.exe, i found that to be
    good of getting rid of those kinds of files

    Falcon, Jun 13, 2005
  4. bad guy

    bad guy Guest

    Hah! Killfile.exe did the job from DOS.
    Had to boot from a floppy but its gone now.
    I suspicion somewhere in Windows there was something that said Quicetc
    was in use so I couldn't delete it. Nasty trick.
    bad guy, Jun 14, 2005