Help with a protected file in Win7 pls.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I play Diablo3 and there are often patches that seem to take forever to roll
    out. Of course the US gets updated first and, for previous patches I'd make
    a small change (instructions for which I found on Blizzard's own forums) to
    the 'agent.db' file, setting the update path to
    'http://US.patch.battle.net:1119/patch' rather than
    'http://SG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch'. (Also it's required to delete
    folder in ProgramData, which is re-built when the patch is downloaded
    anyway.) I then change the US back to SG after getting the patch and
    everything's hunky-dory.

    However, as I'm stuck with an error updating today, the first time for a
    while (which Blizzard are aware of and say just wait...) I went to change my
    patch download path again and now W7 tells me that "Access to xxxxx was
    denied" and won't allow the change. There have been mini-patches that have
    been fine in the last months - one of those changed 'rights' to that file?

    Is there anyway that I can 'take ownership' of that file (or any other
    method....) so I can change it?

    Thanks geeks ;) , I'm getting frustrated by this. W7 is great in a lot of
    ways but not having total ownership of my computer (and having it given to a
    3rd party!) isn't one of them.

    TIA,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kfepnd$cmr$>, ,
    ~misfit~ says...

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals/bb897556

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 13, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 13/02/2013 2:20 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I play Diablo3 and there are often patches that seem to take forever to roll
    > out. Of course the US gets updated first and, for previous patches I'd make
    > a small change (instructions for which I found on Blizzard's own forums) to
    > the 'agent.db' file, setting the update path to
    > 'http://US.patch.battle.net:1119/patch' rather than
    > 'http://SG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch'. (Also it's required to delete
    > folder in ProgramData, which is re-built when the patch is downloaded
    > anyway.) I then change the US back to SG after getting the patch and
    > everything's hunky-dory.
    >
    > However, as I'm stuck with an error updating today, the first time for a
    > while (which Blizzard are aware of and say just wait...) I went to change my
    > patch download path again and now W7 tells me that "Access to xxxxx was
    > denied" and won't allow the change. There have been mini-patches that have
    > been fine in the last months - one of those changed 'rights' to that file?
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can 'take ownership' of that file (or any other
    > method....) so I can change it?
    >
    > Thanks geeks ;) , I'm getting frustrated by this. W7 is great in a lot of
    > ways but not having total ownership of my computer (and having it given to a
    > 3rd party!) isn't one of them.
    >
    > TIA,

    Turn off UAC, reboot, right click the file, security, advanced, owner,
    change... follow your nose.

    EMB, Feb 13, 2013
  4. In article <kfepnd$cmr$>,
    says...

    > I play Diablo3 and there are often patches that seem to take forever to roll
    > out. Of course the US gets updated first and, for previous patches I'd make
    > a small change (instructions for which I found on Blizzard's own forums) to
    > the 'agent.db' file, setting the update path to
    > 'http://US.patch.battle.net:1119/patch' rather than
    > 'http://SG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch'. (Also it's required to delete
    > folder in ProgramData, which is re-built when the patch is downloaded
    > anyway.) I then change the US back to SG after getting the patch and
    > everything's hunky-dory.
    >
    > However, as I'm stuck with an error updating today, the first time for a
    > while (which Blizzard are aware of and say just wait...) I went to change my
    > patch download path again and now W7 tells me that "Access to xxxxx was
    > denied" and won't allow the change. There have been mini-patches that have
    > been fine in the last months - one of those changed 'rights' to that file?
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can 'take ownership' of that file (or any other
    > method....) so I can change it?
    >
    > Thanks geeks ;) , I'm getting frustrated by this. W7 is great in a lot of
    > ways but not having total ownership of my computer (and having it given to a
    > 3rd party!) isn't one of them.
    >
    > TIA,

    This sort of thing is why I do not install games on my Win7 c drive.
    UAC is a lot more anal about "program files" and "program files(x86)"
    than it is about other drives. Makes sense.

    Given that that's where your files are, I'd try two things

    first: run the patch as administrator
    if that doesn't work
    try to run it in safe mode
    last resort
    turn UAC off for patching

    I wanted to add to my hosts file the other day in order to tar-pit some
    advertising hosts, and had to do that in safe mode also. I can see the
    reason why, but it's a darn sight user-un-friendly.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 13, 2013
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 14/02/2013 1:56 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:

    > I wanted to add to my hosts file the other day in order to tar-pit some
    > advertising hosts, and had to do that in safe mode also. I can see the
    > reason why, but it's a darn sight user-un-friendly.

    I have no idea why you had to do that - I edit the hosts file on Win7
    machines very regularly. Sure, it requires elevation, but it has never
    required safe mode or UAC tweaks.

    EMB, Feb 13, 2013
  6. In article <kfgk7a$lmd$>, says...

    > On 14/02/2013 1:56 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    > > I wanted to add to my hosts file the other day in order to tar-pit some
    > > advertising hosts, and had to do that in safe mode also. I can see the
    > > reason why, but it's a darn sight user-un-friendly.
    > >

    > I have no idea why you had to do that - I edit the hosts file on Win7
    > machines very regularly. Sure, it requires elevation, but it has never
    > required safe mode or UAC tweaks.

    Does for me. Win 7 ultimate 64bit. I've made sure I have ownership,
    edited file properties, yaddada yaddada, still can't write to it from
    inside Win7.

    I reboot to WinXP if I want to edit it. Cumbersome, but it works.

    It is remotely possible that Avast has another lock on that file, but I
    am fairly sure I could also not access it with Avast turned off
    temporarily. (won't swear to that though - been a while since I hit that
    particular wall for the first time).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 14, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 14/02/2013 9:43 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <kfgk7a$lmd$>, says...

    >> I have no idea why you had to do that - I edit the hosts file on Win7
    >> machines very regularly. Sure, it requires elevation, but it has never
    >> required safe mode or UAC tweaks.

    > Does for me. Win 7 ultimate 64bit. I've made sure I have ownership,
    > edited file properties, yaddada yaddada, still can't write to it from
    > inside Win7.

    I tried it on 4 different machines today. Win7 Ultimate 64bit,
    Enterprise 32bit and Pro in both 32 and 64. All let me edit the hosts
    file without anything beyond elevating privileges.

    > I reboot to WinXP if I want to edit it. Cumbersome, but it works.
    >
    > It is remotely possible that Avast has another lock on that file, but I
    > am fairly sure I could also not access it with Avast turned off
    > temporarily. (won't swear to that though - been a while since I hit that
    > particular wall for the first time).

    Googling implies that Avast is the issue.

    EMB, Feb 14, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <kfepnd$cmr$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I play Diablo3 and there are often patches that seem to take forever
    >> to roll out. Of course the US gets updated first and, for previous
    >> patches I'd make a small change (instructions for which I found on
    >> Blizzard's own forums) to the 'agent.db' file, setting the update
    >> path to 'http://US.patch.battle.net:1119/patch' rather than
    >> 'http://SG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch'. (Also it's required to
    >> delete folder in ProgramData, which is re-built when the patch is
    >> downloaded anyway.) I then change the US back to SG after getting
    >> the patch and everything's hunky-dory.
    >>
    >> However, as I'm stuck with an error updating today, the first time
    >> for a while (which Blizzard are aware of and say just wait...) I
    >> went to change my patch download path again and now W7 tells me that
    >> "Access to xxxxx was denied" and won't allow the change. There have
    >> been mini-patches that have been fine in the last months - one of
    >> those changed 'rights' to that file?
    >>
    >> Is there anyway that I can 'take ownership' of that file (or any
    >> other method....) so I can change it?
    >>
    >> Thanks geeks ;) , I'm getting frustrated by this. W7 is great in a
    >> lot of ways but not having total ownership of my computer (and
    >> having it given to a 3rd party!) isn't one of them.
    >>
    >> TIA,

    > This sort of thing is why I do not install games on my Win7 c drive.
    > UAC is a lot more anal about "program files" and "program files(x86)"
    > than it is about other drives. Makes sense.
    >
    > Given that that's where your files are, I'd try two things
    >
    > first: run the patch as administrator
    > if that doesn't work
    > try to run it in safe mode
    > last resort
    > turn UAC off for patching
    >
    > I wanted to add to my hosts file the other day in order to tar-pit
    > some advertising hosts, and had to do that in safe mode also. I can
    > see the reason why, but it's a darn sight user-un-friendly.

    Thank to everyone who replied, the patch finally came through fine. I've
    saved advice from this thread for future reference.

    Much appreciated.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Thank to everyone who replied, the patch finally came through fine. I've
    > saved advice from this thread for future reference.
    >
    > Much appreciated.

    There we go, another satisfied customer people.

    Gordon, Feb 16, 2013