Help with 2nd HardDrive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lise, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Lise

    Lise Guest

    I'm trying to install a 2nd hardrive I have to my IBM P4 1500 with 640 mg
    Ram. The original HD is, I believe, a Maxtor, 40g, and the 2nd one will be a
    Western Digital (also 40g). I'm running XP Home. IBM installs their
    hardrives vertically just inside the front cover (BIG PIA) with a short 8"
    ribbon cable so I got a new cable and just hooked it all together to see if
    it'd work. I'm assuming the original HD is set for Master but you have to be
    an engineer to phsysically get it out of the bracket they have it in, so I
    can't really tell....anyway, I set the second 40g as a slave and hooked them
    up. Now I get the "How do you wanna start windows up?" screen...so I chose
    Safe Mode first.....and it shows up there as G......(I have C, E, F
    partitioned on the main HD) D is my CD Burner, so this appears right, it
    being called G....I can copy and delete and use it like normal....but if I
    reboot and choose to start Windows normally, it goes thru the splash screeen
    then I get a Blue Screen telling me that "Windows has not started to protect
    it as there is an "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I thought that maybe the
    problem was that Win98 was installed on that second drive and the two win
    programs were clashing, so I returned to Safe Mode and formatted it (G
    drive). Started back up and get the same thing....good in Safe Mode, Error
    msge in regular startup....Anyone have a clue what's up and what I can do to
    fix it? It's just for a storage drive, that's it.
    Thanks
    Lise

    Lise, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Lise

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Lise" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to install a 2nd hardrive I have to my IBM P4 1500 with 640 mg
    > Ram. The original HD is, I believe, a Maxtor, 40g, and the 2nd one will be
    > Western Digital (also 40g). I'm running XP Home. IBM installs their
    > hardrives vertically just inside the front cover (BIG PIA) with a short 8"
    > ribbon cable so I got a new cable and just hooked it all together to see
    > if
    > it'd work. I'm assuming the original HD is set for Master but you have to
    > be
    > an engineer to phsysically get it out of the bracket they have it in, so I
    > can't really tell....anyway, I set the second 40g as a slave and hooked
    > them
    > up. Now I get the "How do you wanna start windows up?" screen...so I chose
    > Safe Mode first.....and it shows up there as G......(I have C, E, F
    > partitioned on the main HD) D is my CD Burner, so this appears right, it
    > being called G....I can copy and delete and use it like normal....but if I
    > reboot and choose to start Windows normally, it goes thru the splash
    > screeen
    > then I get a Blue Screen telling me that "Windows has not started to
    > protect
    > it as there is an "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I thought that maybe the
    > problem was that Win98 was installed on that second drive and the two win
    > programs were clashing, so I returned to Safe Mode and formatted it (G
    > drive). Started back up and get the same thing....good in Safe Mode, Error
    > msge in regular startup....Anyone have a clue what's up and what I can do
    > fix it? It's just for a storage drive, that's it.
    > Thanks
    > Lise

    Check out this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185