    Winows XP seem to be completely irrelevant as to what I wish to do.
    --
    Sorry if it sounds silly, I''m only 10.

    =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Unless you Internet Connection is based on Cell-Phone, Microwave, or
    Satellite Transceiver,...it is *not* wireless. It is Wired. Even with
    Microwave or Satellite it is still "wired" between the antenna and the
    indoor device and how the PCs actually connect to that indoor device does
    not really matter.

    You may have a Wireless "router", or maybe a Wireless Access Point (WAP) in
    the house,...then your home already has a "wireless LAN", the fact that only
    one PC is connected to it doesn't really mean anything. You can connect
    many machines to the device over-the-air.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 24, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=

    Lem Guest

    SmartRoss wrote:
    > I wish to create a wireless home network from an existing wireless internet
    > connection. Can somebody please tell me how to do this, as the wizards in
    > Winows XP seem to be completely irrelevant as to what I wish to do.

    Assuming that you have a wireless router to which one or more computers
    connect in order to access the Internet, just run the Network Setup
    Wizard (NOT the Wireless Network Wizard) on each computer.

    If you have had specific problems after running the Network Setup
    Wizard, please explain, in as much detail as possible, and you're likely
    to get more focused help. Otherwise, see this general advice from
    MS-MVP Malke:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    For further info, see any of these:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm (Pro)

    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Sep 24, 2007
  4. "Lem" wrote:

    > SmartRoss wrote:
    > > I wish to create a wireless home network from an existing wireless internet
    > > connection. Can somebody please tell me how to do this, as the wizards in
    > > Winows XP seem to be completely irrelevant as to what I wish to do.

    > Assuming that you have a wireless router to which one or more computers
    > connect in order to access the Internet, just run the Network Setup
    > Wizard (NOT the Wireless Network Wizard) on each computer.
    >
    > If you have had specific problems after running the Network Setup
    > Wizard, please explain, in as much detail as possible, and you're likely
    > to get more focused help. Otherwise, see this general advice from
    > MS-MVP Malke:
    >
    > Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
    > File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    > turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    > firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    > Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    > third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    > Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    > IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    > substitute your correct subnet.
    >
    > If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:
    >
    > a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    > accounts/passwords on all computers.
    >
    > b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    > Simple File Sharing enabled.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
    > that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
    > resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    > matters in your situation.
    >
    > Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    > folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    > Shared Documents folder.
    >
    > If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    > troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    > and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    > http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > For further info, see any of these:
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm (Pro)
    >
    > http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    I have already run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers and only one
    has detected a network and thus has allowed me to share files, but neither of
    them are connecting.

    =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=, Sep 25, 2007
  5. "SmartRoss" <> wrote in message

    > I have already run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers and only one
    > has detected a network and thus has allowed me to share files, but neither
    > of
    > them are connecting.

    I don't think I have ever run the Network Setup Wizard in my life. If the
    Wireless nics are installed, the software for it is install,..and
    working,..then you just have it scan for available networks,...choose the
    one you want from the list,...and connect to it. Once that is done that is
    the end of wireless networking. Whatever happens after that or fails to
    happen after that has ntohing to do with wireless networking. File sharing
    and printer sharing are a whole other matter and the process for making them
    work is identical no matter if you are connected wirelessly or wired.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 25, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=

    Lem Guest

    SmartRoss wrote:

> [...]

    >> troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    >> and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    >> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >>
    >> For further info, see any of these:
    >>
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm (Pro)
    >>
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >>

    > I have already run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers and only one
    > has detected a network and thus has allowed me to share files, but neither of

    I don't understand this statement.

    In your first post, you said that you had an existing wireless internet
    connection. Now you say that neither of your computers can connect.
    How do these computers access the Internet by "wireless" if they do not
    "connect"?

    Also, what do you mean that "one has detected a network and thus allowed
    me to share files"? Again, how are you sharing files if you are not
    "connecting"?

    Furthermore, if the wizard you ran "detected a network," then you used
    the Wireless Network Wizard, and NOT the Network Setup Wizard as I had
    suggested. These are two different things, and they perform different
    functions.

    Please describe your existing setup: Internet connection, router,
    computers, and how everything is connected. Explain what works and what
    does not. Explain what you have attempted to do and what error messages
    you have received.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Sep 25, 2007
  7. --

    "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > connection. Now you say that neither of your computers can connect.
    > How do these computers access the Internet by "wireless" if they do not
    > "connect"?
    >
    > Also, what do you mean that "one has detected a network and thus allowed
    > me to share files"? Again, how are you sharing files if you are not
    > "connecting"?
    >
    > Furthermore, if the wizard you ran "detected a network," then you used
    > the Wireless Network Wizard, and NOT the Network Setup Wizard as I had
    > suggested. These are two different things, and they perform different
    > functions.
    >
    > Please describe your existing setup: Internet connection, router,
    > computers, and how everything is connected. Explain what works and what
    > does not. Explain what you have attempted to do and what error messages

    I have two computers that are set up to access the internet from a wireless
    router. Computer 1 can access the internet and detects that I have a network
    and so gives me the option of sharing files. Computer 2 can access the
    internet with some applications only and cannot recognise the wireless
    network. I have run the Network Setup Wizard and that has made no difference.
    On Computer 1, running the wireless setup wizard gives me an option to add a
    computer to the NETGEAR network, that is my router brand. I have followed
    this, and it has told me to plug in a flash drive to save information to. It
    then says to plug it into the router. My router has no USB port, so this does
    not work.

    =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=, Sep 25, 2007
  8. "SmartRoss" <> wrote in message

    > and so gives me the option of sharing files. Computer 2 can access the
    > internet with some applications only and cannot recognise the wireless
    > network.

    If it uses the Internet then it is *using* the Wireless network,...therefore
    it *recognizes* the wireless network. Therefore your problem,...whatever it
    is,...has nothing to do with wireless networking.

    If you can't share files, then you either aren't setting up the machine
    properly to do so or the Windows Firewall, or some other brand of a
    host-based Firewall that you haven't told us you are running is getting in
    the way. And none of that has anything to do with whether it is "using" the
    network (wireless or otherwise).

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 25, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=

    Lem Guest

    SmartRoss wrote:

    > I have two computers that are set up to access the internet from a wireless
    > router. Computer 1 can access the internet and detects that I have a network
    > and so gives me the option of sharing files. Computer 2 can access the
    > internet with some applications only and cannot recognise the wireless
    > network. I have run the Network Setup Wizard and that has made no difference.
    > On Computer 1, running the wireless setup wizard gives me an option to add a
    > computer to the NETGEAR network, that is my router brand. I have followed
    > this, and it has told me to plug in a flash drive to save information to. It
    > then says to plug it into the router. My router has no USB port, so this does
    > not work.

    As Philip Windell says, if computer #2 is accessing the Internet via
    your wireless router, then it IS already part of your wireless network
    and you do not need to do anything more as far as the "wireless" part is
    concerned.

    Or do we misunderstand, and computer #2 is accessing the Internet via
    some other means (like an Ethernet cable connected to your Netgear router)?

    As I wrote in my first post, if both of your computers are able to
    access the Internet via your wireless router (without being physically
    connected to the router), then YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN THE WIRELESS
    NETWORK WIZARD.

    Assuming that what you want to do (you never really said) is to be able
    to share files and/or printers between computer #1 and computer #2, what
    you need to do is to get your network (not the wireless connection
    aspect of it) working properly.

    Usually, the easiest way to do that is to run the Network Setup Wizard
    on both computers, as I suggested earlier. This is what the opening
    screen of the Network Setup Wizard looks like (note that the word
    "wireless" is not in it):
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Windows_XP/Network_Setup_Wizard/01.shtml

    When you get to this step of the Network Setup Wizard, click the radio
    button to indicate that you connect through a residential gateway:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...k_Setup_Wizard/03_(residential_gateway).shtml

    When you get to this step, click the radio button to turn on file and
    printer sharing:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...d/03_(residential_gateway)/03_(Turn_on).shtml

    You do not need to make a "network setup disk" because both computers
    are running WinXP. Just run this wizard on both computers.

    If that hasn't helped, and the links in my first post haven't helped,
    please describe what it is that you want to do and what happens when you
    try to do it.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Sep 25, 2007
  10. "SmartRoss" wrote:

    > I have two computers that are set up to access the internet from a wireless
    > router. Computer 1 can access the internet and detects that I have a network
    > and so gives me the option of sharing files. Computer 2 can access the
    > internet with some applications only and cannot recognise the wireless
    > network. I have run the Network Setup Wizard and that has made no difference.
    > On Computer 1, running the wireless setup wizard gives me an option to add a
    > computer to the NETGEAR network, that is my router brand. I have followed
    > this, and it has told me to plug in a flash drive to save information to. It
    > then says to plug it into the router. My router has no USB port, so this does
    > not work.

    SmartRoss,

    What you may need to do is make sure that both of the computers on the
    wireless network are a part of the same workgroup. In order to check this...

    1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties
    2. Select the 'Computer Name' tab and click on the Change... button
    3. On the 'Computer Name Changes' dialog, under 'Member of', select the
    Workgroup radio button
    4. Type in a workgroup name and click on OK
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. Repeat steps 1-5 on the second computer.

    Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the workgroup name is the same on both computers,
    otherwise they will not be able to see one another on the network.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgVy4gRGFyYnk=?=, Sep 29, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?U21hcnRSb3Nz?=

    Lem Guest

    Bruce W. Darby wrote:
    > "SmartRoss" wrote:
    >
    >> I have two computers that are set up to access the internet from a wireless
    >> router. Computer 1 can access the internet and detects that I have a network
    >> and so gives me the option of sharing files. Computer 2 can access the
    >> internet with some applications only and cannot recognise the wireless
    >> network. I have run the Network Setup Wizard and that has made no difference.
    >> On Computer 1, running the wireless setup wizard gives me an option to add a
    >> computer to the NETGEAR network, that is my router brand. I have followed
    >> this, and it has told me to plug in a flash drive to save information to. It
    >> then says to plug it into the router. My router has no USB port, so this does
    >> not work.

    > SmartRoss,
    >
    > What you may need to do is make sure that both of the computers on the
    > wireless network are a part of the same workgroup. In order to check this...
    >
    > 1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties
    > 2. Select the 'Computer Name' tab and click on the Change... button
    > 3. On the 'Computer Name Changes' dialog, under 'Member of', select the
    > Workgroup radio button
    > 4. Type in a workgroup name and click on OK
    > 5. Restart the computer.
    > 6. Repeat steps 1-5 on the second computer.
    >
    > Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the workgroup name is the same on both computers,
    > otherwise they will not be able to see one another on the network.

    Correct for Vista; not correct for XP

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Sep 29, 2007