Help:Wireless Connection stopped working.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tom, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I installed a Linksys WRT54G Router a couple of months ago and used
    the EasyLink utility to set up the router with my desktop and to setup
    my notebook computer to connect wirelessly. It worked perfectly until
    last week when the notebook computer failed to connect on startup. I
    can use the EasyLink utility to "add" it to my network after startup
    and it works fine. But shut down the notebook and the next time I
    start it up there is no automatic connection. Also, I cannot manually
    connect to any network on startup unless I first run the "Add a
    Computer to the Network" utility from EasyLink.

    I get automatic updates from Microsoft. Is there any indication that
    a recent one is affecting wireless networks? Is there a cure?

    For those who like details: Dell Dimension 8250 running XP SP2
    desktop. Dell Inspiron 1501 running XP SP2 notebook. ISP is DSL
    through Embarq.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Worrying about tomorrow spoils today while
    doing nothing for tomorrow.

    Tom, Feb 28, 2008

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    P.S. This is an example of the trepidation of using Easy sets/Wizard etc.
    They can set the system fast and easy but at the first time that there is
    trouble they are usually Useless.
    Setting systems manually takes a little more time and learning, but provides
    security for troublesome times.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 28, 2008

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks, I will check out the links and see if they can help. However,
    I am still concerned that before I installed my router, my notebook
    when turned on would find all nearby wireless routers and list them
    for me .After I installed the router, it did the same. Now it does
    not do that. I get a mesage saying that Windows cannot connect to any
    network. What caused that?

    Tom

    "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >May be this can Help.
    >My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >P.S. This is an example of the trepidation of using Easy sets/Wizard etc.
    >They can set the system fast and easy but at the first time that there is
    >trouble they are usually Useless.
    >Setting systems manually takes a little more time and learning, but provides
    >security for troublesome times.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Tom" <> wrote in message
    >I installed a Linksys WRT54G Router a couple of months ago and used
    >the EasyLink utility to set up the router with my desktop and to setup
    >my notebook computer to connect wirelessly. It worked perfectly until
    >last week when the notebook computer failed to connect on startup. I
    >can use the EasyLink utility to "add" it to my network after startup
    >and it works fine. But shut down the notebook and the next time I
    >start it up there is no automatic connection. Also, I cannot manually
    >connect to any network on startup unless I first run the "Add a
    >Computer to the Network" utility from EasyLink.
    >
    >I get automatic updates from Microsoft. Is there any indication that
    >a recent one is affecting wireless networks? Is there a cure?
    >
    >For those who like details: Dell Dimension 8250 running XP SP2
    >desktop. Dell Inspiron 1501 running XP SP2 notebook. ISP is DSL
    >through Embarq.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Tom
    >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    >Worrying about tomorrow spoils today while
    >doing nothing for tomorrow.

    ....wisdom in the ground
    Has no apocalypse or pentecost.
    Stanley J. Kunitz.

    Tom, Feb 28, 2008
  4. Hi
    Now it is not working because something is wrong.
    It not necessarily means that it is your fault. It means that you have to
    find what is Not set/functioning correctly right now.
    The pages that I linked to would help you in this process.
    If the Wireless part of your Network is Not working correctly then Windows
    can not connect to any Wireless network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 29, 2008
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I did a System Restore for Feb 12 and that corrected my problem. I
    think the problem is with one or more of the following Securityl
    Updates:

    944533 943055 946026 (put KB in front of each number)

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 1, 2008
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I think I need to add a few details in case this proves helpful to
    others with a similar problem.

    I was helped by reading and applying the suggestions contained in
    KB871122. By accessing the Wireless Zero Configuration I discovered
    that something in the startup menu was changing the setting in this
    utility from Start to Stop. I could change it to the proper setting,
    but on a reboot it would come up with the Stop selected. The result
    was that my Wi-Fi card (Wlan) would not function at all. The only
    programs that I have added recently are the updates referenced below
    and an update to Spybot Search and Destroy installed Feb 8. The
    updates were installed on the 13th of Feb, so I first did a System
    Restore to Feb 12 and changed the Automatic Updates to prevent them
    from reinstalling. This appears to have solved the problem, so I did
    not need to go back to Feb 7. So far, so good.

    I don't plan to install any more Security Updates until I hear that
    the problem with one or more of the present updates has been resolved.

    Tom

    PS I found that the first procedure recommended by KB871122 could not
    be completed unless a network connection was already present(not the
    case for me) There was no Wireless Networks tab. Once a connection
    is made, the Wireless Networks tab does appear.

    Tom <> wrote:

    >I did a System Restore for Feb 12 and that corrected my problem. I
    >think the problem is with one or more of the following Securityl
    >Updates:
    >
    >944533 943055 946026 (put KB in front of each number)
    >
    >Tom

    In every assembly, of whatever size, passion will
    always steal the crown from reason. John Adams

    Tom, Mar 1, 2008