    Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
    Thanks.

    Arnaud

    Arnaud and Katrina, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Arnaud and Katrina

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Arnaud and Katrina" <> wrote in
    news:3fd1faac$0$20185$:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and
    > everything seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
    > Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Arnaud

    Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is slowing
    it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow down as you
    have indicated.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2003

  3. what is the best thing to do in this case?

    thanks.

    Arnaud and Katrina, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Arnaud and Katrina

    mark mandel Guest

    "Arnaud and Katrina" <> wrote in message
    > what is the best thing to do in this case?

    Run a virus scan. Check for spyware through the Spybot program(like Spybot
    search & destroy)or Ad Aware(through www.lavasoft.com).

    However, you should also run Scandisk and defrag the hard drive. Also
    consider scrapping other programs that may be taking up more RAM than you
    need.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Dec 7, 2003
  5. that has been done anything else appart from that if it's a malware defrag
    or scan disk wont be doing anything for me.

    Thanks

    Arnaud and Katrina, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Arnaud and Katrina

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Arnaud and Katrina" <> wrote in

    > what is the best thing to do in this case?
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "Arnaud and Katrina" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hi guys,
    >> >
    >> > For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and
    >> > everything seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
    >> > Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Arnaud
    >> >

    >> Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is
    >> slowing it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow
    >> down as you have indicated.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    You can use Active Ports (free) to watch the outbound connections for
    Trojans. You can use Process Explorer or PRCView to examine the processes
    that are running on the machine both are (free), along with using XP's
    Audit Process Tracking, Audit Object Access and XP's Event Viewer
    Security to view the events.

    The tools may help you spot something. Look at svchost.exe and
    dllhost.exe as they can run as Trojans, they are not running out of
    Windows\System32.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 8, 2003