    it's pretty old and it's short on RAM and the processor is slow but it was
    fine for what she used it for (typing letters, browsing eBay, internet
    banking, email etc). No programs or hardware have been recently added

    Dee, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Dee

    Fakename Guest

    You should have an electrician have a look. Nothing is worth the risk
    of a fire in your home right?

    Fakename, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Dee

    Brian Guest

    by increasing the amps on the fuse it won't be long before you find the weak
    point in the system. (not a good idea for troubleshooting or workaround) It
    may also cause damage to other components in your system. I recommend
    letting a pro look at it to determine the issue and correct the problem
    before something gets fried.

    Brian, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Sounds like the new power supply is faulty.
    5 Amps fues should be perfectly adequate.
    In fact 2 or 3 amp fuses should also be fine too.

    The most likely fault, from your description, is an intermittent short
    in the power supply unit. Unless you are aware of the dangers it would
    be very unwise to open it yourself to see. In any case these are not
    expensive items for that PC (200W or 300W models should be fine for
    this PC).

    Putting in 16amp fuses is not a good idea - you run a slight risk that
    the fault will draw up to 15 amps without blowing the fuse and that
    kind of current in a PC is going to cause burning, melting, smells and
    possibly smoke... In this regard, while you have this problem still,
    make sure this PC is unplugged from the mains when not in use and not
    just turned off at the PC.

    Since the power supply is only 6 months old it should presumably still
    be under guarantee.

    A simple check, just in case it is the cable, plug or connector, is to
    change the power lead (complete).

    It is very unlikely to be anything other than those two items.

    Paul E. Coughin

    remove 1st and 3rd @ (anti spam @s), Oct 26, 2005
  5. Dee

    Robert Baer Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > by increasing the amps on the fuse it won't be long before you find the weak
    > point in the system. (not a good idea for troubleshooting or workaround) It
    > may also cause damage to other components in your system. I recommend
    > letting a pro look at it to determine the issue and correct the problem
    > before something gets fried.

    I cannot see the previous postings concerning this issue, but if a
    fuze blows, the first thing to replace is the power supply.
    BTW, AFAIK all PCs have the fuze *inside* the power supply, and as
    the recommendation goes, only a service tech should open it up (and a
    supply would cost far less than having that done).

    Robert Baer, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Dee wrote:

    > My daughters fairly old pc keeps blowing the fuse in the plug (I'm in the
    > UK). It had a new power supply, heatsink and fan about 6 months and was fine
    > but then a couple of weeks ago this started. Sometimes it will stay on for
    > just a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. (Fuse is currently 16amp -
    > originally it was 5).
    > Spec is AMD Athlon 1200 processor, 120mb RAM, 20G HDD, running XP. I know
    > it's pretty old and it's short on RAM and the processor is slow but it was
    > fine for what she used it for (typing letters, browsing eBay, internet
    > banking, email etc). No programs or hardware have been recently added

    Maybe it is the plug.

    Do the wires get hot?

    Ok what is the plugs rating?

    How many watts can it handle. AMD is typically around 300 watts for an
    average system. What is the power supply rated at? It should match the
    power supply. Some power supplies are not very efficient. What kind is
    it. Hopefully it is not a Deer.

    OK the computer uses X number of watts, but the power supply also uses
    power to convert the 110 or 220 to 12v or whatever. The power that is
    burned up in heat, which is released by the fins on the power supply
    over the power created is the efficiency rating. So the wasted power
    plus the power created are added together.

    OK you may be using more power than the actual wall plug is rated for.

    OK then you may have both the monitor and the PC plugged into a power
    strip. If not use a good power strip designed to absorb power surges
    and loads. A small UPS might absorb power fluctuations. If the CPU is
    heating up, it might have an automatic circuit which speeds up and slows
    down if the processor is getting hot.

    So try a good Powerstrip and maybe a UPS.

    The Power supply you used should be a premium model that runs both quiet
    and cool. I like standard Antec Power Supplies. A cheaper power supply
    is sometimes just as good. However some power suppies are not so
    reputable. Deer is a model that should not be purchased. I have heard
    of some power supplies blowihg out violently or catching on fire. If a
    surge is released, then your computer is destroyed.

    These are just a few ideas.

    Last Boy Scout, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Dee

    DiddyS400 Guest

    "Last Boy Scout" <> wrote in message
    > Dee wrote:
    >
    > > My daughters fairly old pc keeps blowing the fuse in the plug (I'm in

    the
    > > UK). It had a new power supply, heatsink and fan about 6 months and was

    fine
    > > but then a couple of weeks ago this started. Sometimes it will stay on

    for
    > > just a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. (Fuse is currently

    16amp -
    > > originally it was 5).
    > > Spec is AMD Athlon 1200 processor, 120mb RAM, 20G HDD, running XP. I

    know
    > > it's pretty old and it's short on RAM and the processor is slow but it

    was
    > > fine for what she used it for (typing letters, browsing eBay, internet
    > > banking, email etc). No programs or hardware have been recently added

    This will sound stupid, but..........Are you sure the fuse is blowing?

    My computer seemed to be blowing fuses at random - it would just stop,
    apparently with no power reaching it. After replacing the fuse in the plug
    it would be OK until the next time. Then I noticed that although it had
    "blown a fuse" there was an LCD lit up on the motherboard, so power was
    still getting through. This time I just switched it off at the wall socket
    and left it a few minutes before turning it back on. Sure enough it booted
    up just fine. Something must be causing it to trip some kind of circuit
    breaker somewhere. I don't know what, but I do know now that its not blowing
    fuses.

    Might be worth trying this on yours?

    Derek.

    DiddyS400, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Dee

    Robert Baer Guest

    DiddyS400 wrote:

    > "Last Boy Scout" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dee wrote:
    >>

    >>>My daughters fairly old pc keeps blowing the fuse in the plug (I'm in

    > the
    >
    >>>UK). It had a new power supply, heatsink and fan about 6 months and was

    > fine
    >
    >>>but then a couple of weeks ago this started. Sometimes it will stay on

    > for
    >
    >>>just a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. (Fuse is currently

    > 16amp -
    >
    >>>originally it was 5).
    >>>Spec is AMD Athlon 1200 processor, 120mb RAM, 20G HDD, running XP. I

    > know
    >
    >>>it's pretty old and it's short on RAM and the processor is slow but it

    > was
    >
    >>>fine for what she used it for (typing letters, browsing eBay, internet
    >>>banking, email etc). No programs or hardware have been recently added

    > This will sound stupid, but..........Are you sure the fuse is blowing?
    >
    > My computer seemed to be blowing fuses at random - it would just stop,
    > apparently with no power reaching it. After replacing the fuse in the plug
    > it would be OK until the next time. Then I noticed that although it had
    > "blown a fuse" there was an LCD lit up on the motherboard, so power was
    > still getting through. This time I just switched it off at the wall socket
    > and left it a few minutes before turning it back on. Sure enough it booted
    > up just fine. Something must be causing it to trip some kind of circuit
    > breaker somewhere. I don't know what, but I do know now that its not blowing
    > fuses.
    >
    > Might be worth trying this on yours?
    >
    > Derek.

    *WARNING* !!NEVER!! replace a fuse with a higher rated one - you are
    *asking* for a fire!!!

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2005
  9. I'd have to say that this is probably a power supply issue.. Old power
    supplies can heat up and it drastically increases the current draw. It
    doesn't take a lot of heat to nearly double the power consumption of these
    devices. The heat is also indicative of an imminent failure. Before the
    motherboard and processor become damaged, I would replace the power supply.
    A fairly generic 180W unit should be ample plenty for such an old machine.
    Also, when you replace the PS, clean all the insdie of the machine with a
    can of compressed air. It will all be cooler and run better! Good luck!

    M DAVID FERRELL, Mar 7, 2006