    Could you please help me ?

    Thanks a lot.

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Joe

    Merv Guest

    > I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN ...
    > I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
    > Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.

    Perhaps you could provide some more details on exactly what your
    connectivity requirments are or what you are tyring to accomplish.

    Merv, Aug 31, 2006

  3. In article <44f6caa2$0$15667$>, Joe <> wrote:

    >I need to buy a CISCO router but I don't know which one.
    >I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN ...
    >I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
    >Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.

    >So I don't need any integrated services (such as VPN, Firewall, or VOIP)
    >... I need a really simple router.

    If you do not need IOS then possibly your requirements would be
    met by one of the devices in the Linksys line.

    A lot will depend on how much load you will be putting through the ports.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Merv wrotes :

    >> Hello,
    >> I need to buy a CISCO router but I don't know which one.
    >> I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN

    .... I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
    Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.
    >> So I don't need any integrated services (such as VPN, Firewall, or

    VOIP) ... I need a really simple router.
    >> Could you please help me ? Thanks a lot.
    >> Joe

    > Perhaps you could provide some more details on exactly what your
    > connectivity requirments are or what you are tyring to accomplish.

    Ok thank you.
    The problem is the following : my company (C1) needs to be connected to
    2 others companys (C2 and C3) ... and another company will arrive in the
    future (C4).

    For the moment :
    C2 <=> C1 <=> C3

    We have recently changed the two links between C2 and C1, and beteewn C1
    and C3. In the past they were "serial connections" ... and they are now
    "Ethernet Connections". And plus, we need a third ethernet connection
    because C1 is a LAN.

    So, we need a router with at less 3 ethernet connections (4 in the
    future) to connect all these sites.

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Joe

    Merv Guest

    So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
    hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps

    Merv, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Merv wrotes :
    > So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
    > hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps

    Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
    For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

    That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
    following modes :
    - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
    - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
    And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
    change it as we will want in the future.

    Thanks again.

    Joe, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Joe

    Scooby Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Merv wrotes :
    >> So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
    >> hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps
    >>

    > Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    > Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    > And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
    > For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >
    > That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
    > following modes :
    > - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
    > - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
    > And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
    > change it as we will want in the future.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    For your situation, I'd go with an L3 switch (3560), rather than a router. A
    lot more interfaces available and the performance will be much better.
    Depending on routing protocol, you may need the enhanced version of the IOS,
    otherwise the standard should do.

    Scooby, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Scooby a écrit :
    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> Merv wrotes :
    >>> So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
    >>> hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps
    >>>

    >> Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >> Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >> And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >> For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >>
    >> That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
    >> following modes :
    >> - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
    >> - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
    >> And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
    >> change it as we will want in the future.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.

    > For your situation, I'd go with an L3 switch (3560), rather than a router. A
    > lot more interfaces available and the performance will be much better.
    > Depending on routing protocol, you may need the enhanced version of the IOS,
    > otherwise the standard should do.

    Are you sure ?
    I think this solution will be impossible for me because I really need
    routing functions : all the sites need to communicate with all the
    others sites through our site (C1), so through this router.

    Joe, Aug 31, 2006
  9. www.BradReese.Com, Aug 31, 2006
  10. I concur with Scooby, a multilayer switch (like a 3560) is probably the
    most appropriate solution to your needs. It seems to me that you have 4
    different LANs that need to communicate with each other, but each has
    its own IP addressing, etc. In such a case, a multilayer switch would
    act as a router passing data among the networks, but with speeds you
    normally want to see with ethernet networks.

    Let me know on here if you have any more questions. :)

    Nathan Harmon, Aug 31, 2006
  11. In article <44f6f0e0$0$26044$>, Joe <> wrote:
    >Merv wrotes :
    >> So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
    >> hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps

    >Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

    That's just the speed the line is configured on. What is the real
    traffic load? How much data per second is *really* going through?

    Unless there is something you haven't told us, it seems to me you
    are likely making a mistake by not having firewall features
    to keep the various companies from snooping on each other and
    to keep infections in one company localized to that company.

    Also you haven't spoken at all about being able to find out how
    much internet throughput each of the companies is using, to know
    whether each company is getting the fair share (according to what it
    paid for), and to know when you need to increase your link speed.

    If someone at C3 starts downloading DVDs and C1 and C2 and C4 cannot
    do any work because of that, how are you going to even investigate
    the issue with the "very simple router" that you were proposing?

    Walter Roberson, Aug 31, 2006
  12. Joe

    Scooby Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Scooby a écrit :
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>> Merv wrotes :
    >>>>

    >>> Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >>> Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >>> And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >>> For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
    >>>
    >>> That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
    >>> following modes :
    >>> - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
    >>> - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
    >>> And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
    >>> change it as we will want in the future.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.

    >> For your situation, I'd go with an L3 switch (3560), rather than a
    >> router. A lot more interfaces available and the performance will be much
    >> better. Depending on routing protocol, you may need the enhanced version
    >> of the IOS, otherwise the standard should do.

    > Are you sure ?
    > I think this solution will be impossible for me because I really need
    > routing functions : all the sites need to communicate with all the others
    > sites through our site (C1), so through this router.

    Yes, the 3560 handles routing just fine - and at much better peformance than
    the routers. It just depends what routing protocol you use to determine
    what image you need. I think the standard image will handle static and rip,
    while the enhanced handles eigrp, ospf and bgp.

    FWIW, you do loose some functionality as well. My biggest disappointment in
    going to switches vs routers was that netflow is no longer supported :-(

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Sep 1, 2006
  13. Joe

    Dom Guest

    On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 15:58 +0200, Joe wrote:
    > So, we need a router with at less 3 ethernet connections (4 in the
    > future) to connect all these sites.

    How 'bout trunking the router to a switch and using vlans? Then you only
    need one fast ethernet or gig ethernet interface, eh?

    Dom, Sep 3, 2006