help - which camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NikV, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. NikV

    NikV Guest

    Hi
    Background
    Previously owned Minolta 7000 and 8000i with 28-85mm, 50mm 1.4 and 140 f2.8
    + top of the range minolta flash all these were sold when I got divorced
    years ago. All but stopped using them due to processing costs.
    Remarried - Nikon coolpix 800 - bought 6 years ago after Birth of first
    child, lasted 4 years replaced with coolpix 4300. now waiting for third
    child to be born
    Wife came home after trying to take some pics of eldest at the harvest
    festival - lots of photos of other kids but few of our own.!! Trying to take
    pictures of kids on fairground rides is becoming very frustrating due to the
    'shutter lag' (I think its called)

    Considering
    K-Minolta 7D
    Nikon D70
    Canon 20D
    Canon 350D
    In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
    28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
    24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
    70-150ish + a decent flashgun
    I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.

    With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after turning
    camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden moment :)-))
    but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall and at least see
    my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to take piccys to
    school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc + daughter riding
    in the distance

    I've read lots and lots of reviews and most of the relevant posts here but I
    am getting confused.

    I really liked the feel of the minolta camera's and so was seriously
    thinking about the 7D but reviews seem to say its slow to get going and
    store shots + lack top lcd vs nice lcd + minolta glass

    The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
    of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs

    Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile

    Given the type of photos and situations I want to shoot what do you think of
    the lenses and body selections

    Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography

    --
    (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    <.·°·. NIK .·°·.>

    NikV, Sep 27, 2005

  2. NikV

    Roy Guest

    "NikV" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Background
    > Previously owned Minolta 7000 and 8000i with 28-85mm, 50mm 1.4 and 140
    > f2.8 + top of the range minolta flash all these were sold when I got
    > divorced years ago. All but stopped using them due to processing costs.
    > Remarried - Nikon coolpix 800 - bought 6 years ago after Birth of first
    > child, lasted 4 years replaced with coolpix 4300. now waiting for third
    > child to be born
    > Wife came home after trying to take some pics of eldest at the harvest
    > festival - lots of photos of other kids but few of our own.!! Trying to
    > take pictures of kids on fairground rides is becoming very frustrating due
    > to the 'shutter lag' (I think its called)
    >
    > Considering
    > K-Minolta 7D
    > Nikon D70
    > Canon 20D
    > Canon 350D
    > In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
    > 28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
    > 24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
    > 70-150ish + a decent flashgun
    > I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.
    >
    > With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after
    > turning camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden
    > moment :)-)) but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall
    > and at least see my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to
    > take piccys to school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc
    > + daughter riding in the distance
    >
    > I've read lots and lots of reviews and most of the relevant posts here but
    > I am getting confused.
    >
    > I really liked the feel of the minolta camera's and so was seriously
    > thinking about the 7D but reviews seem to say its slow to get going and
    > store shots + lack top lcd vs nice lcd + minolta glass
    >
    > The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
    > of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs
    >
    > Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile
    >

    > Given the type of photos and situations I want to shoot what do you think
    > of the lenses and body selections
    >
    > Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography
    >
    > --
    > (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    > <.·°·. NIK .·°·.>
    > (¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

    Hi.

    I don't usually get involved in the What Camera? debates, but from what you
    say, you should handle both the Nikon D70 and the Canon 20D.

    They both feel a good a good bit bigger in the hand than the 350D. That is
    what persuaded me to go for the Nikon, and cost put me off the 20D.

    Any of those 3 would fit your photographic requirements. Some people will
    promote one over the others, but each has advantages and disadvantages, and
    you have enough experience to decide for yourself.

    Have fun with whichever you choose.

    Roy G

    Roy, Sep 27, 2005

  3. NikV

    Bill Guest

    NikV wrote:

    >Considering
    >K-Minolta 7D
    >Nikon D70
    >Canon 20D
    >Canon 350D

    Any of them would take fine pictures, but I'd lean toward the Nikon or
    Canon models for features and performance.

    >In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
    >28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
    >24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
    >70-150ish + a decent flashgun
    >I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.

    All of the above models come with a general use lense that covers wide
    angle to short telephoto.

    Of the ones listed, I believe the Nikon D70s comes with the best lense,
    an 18-70mm that's sharp and focuses fairly quick.

    >With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after turning
    >camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden moment :)-))
    >but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall and at least see
    >my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to take piccys to
    >school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc + daughter riding
    >in the distance

    No problems using the above for any of that...

    >The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
    >of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs

    Nikon makes some of the best SLR's on the planet, as does Canon.

    >Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile

    It is small, but it's not fragile - the body is polycarbonate and fairly
    solid. Unless you plan on dropping your camera a lot, I wouldn't worry
    about it.

    Now, I'm biased toward Canon because I had Canon film cameras and
    lenses. So when I went through a similar buying decision some time ago,
    I had to decide between the 20D or the 350D/XT. At first I didn't care
    for the XT because of its small size, but after using one for a day
    (borrowed from a friend) I can't go back to a larger body. I became
    accustomed to the size and weight of the XT, as well as its controls and
    menus. My old film body feels huge by comparison...ugh.

    :)

    >Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography

    Most of what you know still applies, the only big difference is the
    recording format has changed. If I was starting off fresh without any
    bias, I'd probably buy the Nikon D70s or D50 with the 18-70mm lense.

    Bill, Sep 28, 2005
  4. NikV

    Kitt Guest

    Well, the cheapest new one I've seen you don't mention and I don't know
    a thing about it except the kit and the price. The new Olympus Evolt
    500 comes with two zooms for about $900 (I think). I'm not even sure
    it's available yet, but will be soon if not. The one I can speak to is
    the Nikon D70, which I bought. With the kit lens and a cheap Phoenix
    lens for macro, I was good from 18 to 100mm. The Phoenix is noisy and
    cheesy, but the images are quite good and it gets you 1:1 macro with
    the diopter that comes with it (1:2 without it). Add a 70-300 G lens
    and you've got a wide range for a fair price and then improve from
    there as you get more money. I ended up with a 28-200 that seldom
    leaves the camera for around $300. There's a lot you can do and the
    key is to pick the one you want and then use it without second guessing
    yourself and looking back. I don't shoot a lot of action, but I've
    never gotten ahead of the D70 and it comes on almost instantly. Coming
    from point and shoot, you won't believe the speed. Compared to a
    couple years ago, there is a whole new world out there for under $1500
    including lenses, batteries, flash, tripod and bag. After that, you
    can spend as much as you want upgrading your lens collection. You can
    quickly drop three times that on one VR lens. Pick one and shoot away.
    You'll love it!

    Kitt, Sep 28, 2005
  5. NikV

    Labrat Guest

    Popular Photography (popphoto.com) has an article available online where
    they compared 9 dSLRs including the ones you listed. As I am not a
    subscriber to their magazine, I am not sure if they have any bias toward one
    manufacturer or another.

    I have 10 years of shooting with Canon EOS cameras (and another 15 with an
    FTb), so when it was time to upgrade I naturally went with Canon. After
    handling both the 350D and the 20D I decided to go with the 20D mainly
    because I have rather large hands which made holding the 350D awkward.
    While the material the 350D is made of is light, but that does not make it
    flimsy. My 300D, which is made of the same materials (more or less),
    survived lots of kids parties and other hazards with no problems whatsoever.
    Being light does have advantages when you have more responsibilities than
    just taking pictures!

    Even though I personally prefer Canon (due to an investment in glass), I am
    not one of those rabid fanatics who insist that every other camera is CRAP!
    (you know who you are...) If you are on a budget and you have not already
    done so, I would suggest taking a look at the Nikon D50. You can get the
    body, the 18-55mm kit lens and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S lens all for under
    $1000.

    LabRat

    Labrat, Sep 28, 2005
  6. NikV

    NikV Guest

    "Labrat" <> wrote in message
    > Popular Photography (popphoto.com) has an article available online where
    > they compared 9 dSLRs including the ones you listed. As I am not a
    > subscriber to their magazine, I am not sure if they have any bias toward
    > one manufacturer or another.
    >
    > I have 10 years of shooting with Canon EOS cameras (and another 15 with an
    > FTb), so when it was time to upgrade I naturally went with Canon. After
    > handling both the 350D and the 20D I decided to go with the 20D mainly
    > because I have rather large hands which made holding the 350D awkward.
    > While the material the 350D is made of is light, but that does not make it
    > flimsy. My 300D, which is made of the same materials (more or less),
    > survived lots of kids parties and other hazards with no problems
    > whatsoever. Being light does have advantages when you have more
    > responsibilities than just taking pictures!
    >
    > Even though I personally prefer Canon (due to an investment in glass), I
    > am not one of those rabid fanatics who insist that every other camera is
    > CRAP! (you know who you are...) If you are on a budget and you have not
    > already done so, I would suggest taking a look at the Nikon D50. You can
    > get the body, the 18-55mm kit lens and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S lens all for
    > under $1000.
    >
    > LabRat

    Thanx for all your comments - very useful, I had just about decided on the
    D70s but the lack of stock and the likely lack of time before number 3 is
    born (2 weeks) made me look at the D50 which has some advantages for my wife
    using it as almost a P&S camera initally and I am almost sold on it with an
    18-70mm lens + sb600 as a good starting point. I notice that it can be
    bundled with a 28-200mm zoom but I don't think its wide enough - what sort
    of quality is this lens?

    (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    .·°·. NIK .·°·.>
    (¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

    NikV, Sep 28, 2005
  7. NikV

    Bill Guest

    NikV wrote:

    >Thanx for all your comments - very useful, I had just about decided on the
    >D70s but the lack of stock and the likely lack of time before number 3 is
    >born (2 weeks) made me look at the D50 which has some advantages for my wife
    >using it as almost a P&S camera initally and I am almost sold on it with an
    >18-70mm lens + sb600 as a good starting point.

    That would be an excellent setup to get you started. Run out and buy it
    right now before it's out of stock.

    :)

    > I notice that it can be
    >bundled with a 28-200mm zoom but I don't think its wide enough - what sort
    >of quality is this lens?

    I don't have much experience with Nikon gear, but from what I've heard
    the 28-200mm isn't worth it for most people...mediocre image quality.
    It's difficult to design a good and cheap wide coverage lense.

    While it's handy to have such a wide range in a single lense, you'll be
    somewhat disappointed if you buy a good lense later and compare the two.

    For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
    It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
    find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

    Bill, Sep 28, 2005
  8. NikV

    NikV Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:...
    > NikV wrote:
    >
    >>Thanx for all your comments - very useful, I had just about decided on
    >>the
    >>D70s but the lack of stock and the likely lack of time before number 3 is
    >>born (2 weeks) made me look at the D50 which has some advantages for my
    >>wife
    >>using it as almost a P&S camera initally and I am almost sold on it with
    >>an
    >>18-70mm lens + sb600 as a good starting point.

    > That would be an excellent setup to get you started. Run out and buy it
    > right now before it's out of stock.
    >
    > :)

    I think I've persuaded SWMBO and I've managed to save up just about enough
    over the last 6 months (d70s would be body + lens only) so I will try
    ordering tomorrow :)))

    >> I notice that it can be
    >>bundled with a 28-200mm zoom but I don't think its wide enough - what sort
    >>of quality is this lens?

    > I don't have much experience with Nikon gear, but from what I've heard
    > the 28-200mm isn't worth it for most people...mediocre image quality.
    > It's difficult to design a good and cheap wide coverage lense.
    >
    > While it's handy to have such a wide range in a single lense, you'll be
    > somewhat disappointed if you buy a good lense later and compare the two.
    >
    > For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
    > It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
    > find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

    cheers - I need a good general purpose set up first so you just confirmed it

    (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    <.·°·. NIK .·°·.>
    (¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

    NikV, Sep 28, 2005
  9. NikV

    Bill Guest

    NikV wrote:

    >> For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
    >> It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
    >> find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

    >cheers - I need a good general purpose set up first so you just confirmed it

    Let us know how you like it.

    Bill, Sep 29, 2005
  10. NikV

    NikV Guest

    Re: help - which camera very pleased

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:...
    > NikV wrote:
    >
    >>> For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
    >>> It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
    >>> find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

    >>cheers - I need a good general purpose set up first so you just confirmed
    >>it

    > Let us know how you like it.

    Right - in the end went for :- D50 + 18-70mm - lovely lens definitely
    comparable to the 28-85 minolta (on 8000i body) but faster AF, + sb600 gun
    was able to persuade SWMBO to add the 55-200mm DX lens as well (must be
    xmas. Great set up for returner to SLR very responsive kit - 55-200mm bit
    slow on AF but no worse than borrowed 75-300 sigma on minolta 8000i body 7
    years ago (IIRC). SWMBO - taken some stunning pics in auto/sports/portait
    mode but she says its too large bulky and worried about dropping/damaging
    it. Only taken about 400 shots so far (2 days) so very pleased ATM but for
    me Spot metering is a bit buried in the menu system. Speed from on to shot
    is fast!!! with 18-70, more sedate with 55-200 (plastic lens mount - not
    impressed for £170 lens). Now must start saving for the 105 micro lens only
    £550 to go :-<

    Thanx for advice/interest especially those unbiased cannonites (Bill I
    think)

    (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    <.·°·. NIK .·°·.>
    (¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

    NikV, Oct 3, 2005
  11. NikV

    Bill Guest

    NikV wrote:

    >> Let us know how you like it.

    > Right - in the end went for :- D50 + 18-70mm - lovely lens definitely
    >comparable to the 28-85 minolta (on 8000i body) but faster AF, + sb600 gun

    That should be a great combo.

    >was able to persuade SWMBO to add the 55-200mm DX lens as well (must be
    >xmas. Great set up for returner to SLR very responsive kit - 55-200mm bit
    >slow on AF but no worse than borrowed 75-300 sigma on minolta 8000i body 7
    >years ago (IIRC).

    The 55-200 from Nikon is similar to the Canon models in that range. You
    get what you pay for...stopping down to f8 will probably sharpen up the
    images.

    > SWMBO - taken some stunning pics in auto/sports/portait
    >mode but she says its too large bulky and worried about dropping/damaging
    >it.

    As long as the strap is on it, and you remember to keep it around your
    neck, there's little need to worry.

    > Only taken about 400 shots so far (2 days) so very pleased ATM but for

    That's it?

    :)

    I fired off about 600 the first day, partly to put the camera through
    its paces though and make sure everything worked ok.

    >me Spot metering is a bit buried in the menu system.

    See if there is a shortcut key in the manual. My Canon Rebel XT has a
    button that jumps to metering mode directly from shutter mode.

    > Speed from on to shot
    >is fast!!! with 18-70, more sedate with 55-200 (plastic lens mount - not
    >impressed for £170 lens). Now must start saving for the 105 micro lens only
    >£550 to go :-<

    That's one of the problems with SLR's...you can never have enough glass.

    :)

    >Thanx for advice/interest especially those unbiased cannonites (Bill I
    >think)

    No problem. I'm glad you're a happy camper.

    Bill, Oct 3, 2005