    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks :)

    , May 30, 2005

  2. me Guest

    Re: What video card do I need?

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone tell me what video card/processor I would need to copy VCR
    > video to my hard drive?
    > I want to make copys of my old VCR tapes and burn them to DVD.
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    > Thanks :)

    Look at the post from 28th May entitled " VCR ". There are some replies
    there which should help you

    Basically you need a video capture card and appropriate software.

    me, May 30, 2005

  3. JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:02:49 -0500, Zulu wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what video card/processor I would need to copy VCR
    > video to my hard drive?
    > I want to make copys of my old VCR tapes and burn them to DVD. Any help
    > will be appreciated.
    > Thanks :)

    I wouldn't even bother trying this unless your system is at least in the
    1.5Ghz range with 512Mb of RAM and a seperate 64Mb Graphics card. (AGP8 or
    PCI Express is nice.) Your also going to need a hard drive with lots of
    space. A single movie can be several Gigabytes in size. Don't expect to
    do anything else with your computer while it's processing the movie or
    burning it to your DVD, because it will consume 98% of your CPU's
    resources and it can take a couple of hours to complete, although for a
    typical camcorder home movie the burn to DVD usually only takes me about
    40 mins.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, May 30, 2005
  4. Oldus Fartus Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:02:49 -0500, Zulu wrote:
    >

    >>Can someone tell me what video card/processor I would need to copy VCR
    >>video to my hard drive?
    >>I want to make copys of my old VCR tapes and burn them to DVD. Any help
    >>will be appreciated.
    >>Thanks :)

    > I wouldn't even bother trying this unless your system is at least in the
    > 1.5Ghz range with 512Mb of RAM and a seperate 64Mb Graphics card. (AGP8 or
    > PCI Express is nice.) Your also going to need a hard drive with lots of
    > space. A single movie can be several Gigabytes in size. Don't expect to
    > do anything else with your computer while it's processing the movie or
    > burning it to your DVD, because it will consume 98% of your CPU's
    > resources and it can take a couple of hours to complete, although for a
    > typical camcorder home movie the burn to DVD usually only takes me about
    > 40 mins.

    Video card performance is unimportant when encoding or burning DVDs.
    More important is system RAM and system throughput.

    You are nearly correct with the encoding. With the two computers I use
    for video work here (a P4 3.2 and P4 3.0) CPU usage when encoding is
    between 25% and 45%, but when burning either system is barely idling
    (less than 3% with bursts to around 20% every 20 seconds or so.)
    Looking at one I have just completed, 4,300 MB has taken 14 minutes @ 4x
    speed to burn.

    Capturing without a hardware encoder is extremely CPU intensive - on my
    systems 90% or so is typical when capturing as MPEG2.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 30, 2005
  5. Ron Smith Guest

    Re: What video card do I need?

    goto wal-mart and u can get a device called DVD express and it will allow
    you to hook up a VCR to a computer that will act like a capture card

    Ron Smith, May 31, 2005
  6. Stefan Sch. Guest

    Hi dear,
    I captured with "Pinnacle Sat". Thats a realy good and cheapy Tv Card. In
    my opinnion should you take a 3200 Amd or Pentium, because the have
    engough speed. Maby you can take a small processor. But very importent is
    a big RAM!!

    I hope i had help you.
    regards stefan

    Stefan Sch., Jun 4, 2005